PDA

View Full Version : Drill into Shift Lever?

PettitWC
12-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone!!

I have a question about installing a shift knob I have. A while back I got the DTM style illuminated knob from bavauto ( http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2439/dtmknobwb8.jpg ) but it is only held on by three tightening screws at its base. It came loose all the time and I would always have to tighten it. It finally came loose too often so I just replaced it with a new stock knob.

Here is my question:

Can I drill into the knob to put at least one of the screws all the way through so that it will not come loose anymore? If so, what would be the best method to do this?

I was wondering if this would weaken the lever or cause any other permanent damage. Also, If anyone has any other suggestions I would be more than happy to take them at this point.

thanks,
Chris

aceyx
12-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Have you tried Loctite?

That failing, you probably don't have to drill all the way through the lever, just a small dent for the end of the screw to fall into. Nothing more than 1mm.

PettitWC
12-28-2006, 03:41 AM
I'll try loctite and see how that goes, thanks.

as for the hole size that's all i was hoping to get away with. hopefully with all three screws for added stability.

cooljess76
12-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Go to autozone and buy a tube of blue locktite. Put a drop on each one of the screws and tighten her down. I would advise against the red locktite, though it is stronger, you might strip out the set screws if you ever decide to remove it.I also advise against drilling into your shifter lever as youwouldn't be able to thread a set screw into it anyway unless you tapped threads into it. besides that if you make the slightest mistake, it will always have play in it.

PettitWC
12-28-2006, 07:11 AM
sweet thanks a lot!!