PDA

View Full Version : DASC STALLING AT IDLE PROBLEM SOLVED

inlacal
01-12-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm creating a new topic which links back to the one I started here:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12957

I'm creating this new topic so that it receives some visibility.

My 97Ti with 145k ran great prior to the DASC installation which was competently installed.

Immediately, I had a stalling when warm, when coming to idle problem. At first I thought it was the routing of some hoses near the FPR. It wasn't.

After going through every possible notion and speaking (constantly) with Downing Atlanta, we figured out the problem, by accident.

Bad MAF.

Granted there was never, ever a check engine light. The car ran perfectly when cold. When "warm" the car stalled when coming to idle after being taken out of gear. Also, I noticed that the car never really ran at the half-mark on the temperature gauge--it ran between 1/4 and 1/2.

It's important to note that the car wasn't given any codes to an Autologic box, no check engine lights, no codes to a GT1. There wasn't any indication that this MAF was bad.

Put on a new MAF (expensive) and JACKPOT! Car now runs (solidly) at the 1/2-way mark on the dial and the car is 100% streetable without any problems.

I'm psyched. Here is my car for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.inlacal.com/white318ti

saintly
01-15-2007, 04:48 AM
Well done.
A bad part with no code would be nasty to track down.
Nice collection of BMW's, not sure i would have my VIN on the website tho.

pdxmotorhead
01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Yea protect the VIN, there is an active business in stealing vin numbers to re-tag stolen vehicles. They just make sure they are in another state...

Dave

SporTi
01-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Chris:

Can I have your wallet?

HuGo
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
i want to sell shampoos too :biggrin:

marko
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
nice steering wheel! say, is the diameter any smaller then 'regular' 3 spoke M wheel (which I got)?? if so, where do I get one?

FATHER
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
nice, great man!!!!

tastade
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
The VIN is public, anyone can walk up to your car and pull the VIN number off by looking through your windshield. I wouldn't worry about it.

Glad to hear it is running. I still would like to get a DASC, new suspension, and exhaust. Maybe next year. My only concern is I don't know if I want to spend that much money on this car. Maybe I should buy a 1.9 Z3 first and do the same thing ;) There is a green one with a tan leather interior and wood trim (my favorite) at a local dealer.

Nice looking car, it really looks European. I remember a lot of cars that had similar seat cloth when I was in Germany in '96.

saintly
01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
? my vin isn't public.

pdxmotorhead
01-17-2007, 06:40 AM
The VIN is public, anyone can walk up to your car and pull the VIN number off by looking through your windshield. I wouldn't worry about it.

When you walk up to my cars you see a little white piece
of paper covering the VIN. :biggrin:

Friend of mine went through hell when a guy out of state reported his car stolen, only problem was the stolen car had my friends VIN, they tracked it to a parking garage he used. Luckily he was the original owner and had a mountain of paperwork for proof. Still wasn't any fun being hauled out of his car and cuffed ...

Probably not extremely common but I figured a piece of tape is cheap.
And I'm a professional paranoid......:eek:

Dave