PDA

View Full Version : s52 m3 engine

GhostRyder
01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
ok, if i wanna turn my car from a auto to a manual, and i get a tranny from another 318 todo it, and all thats done, will i have to replace my tranny if i ever swap my engine for a s52 m3 engine? or will the tranny from the 318 work with that engine as well

96cali
01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I believe any 318 tranny should work with S52 and allows you to keep the driveshaft, diff, etc. I say should, because I know the 318ti tranny works fine but is not designed to handle that power forever. Not sure if the 1.8 tranny changed at all from '92-'99. FWIW the tranny swap would most cost effective with the motor swap and you could get an M3 tranny.

campaiar
01-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I've already been there Exercitus. (Check the sig)

You can use the Getrag trans with the M3 powerplant. There are several members that haven't had any issues with this setup. You retain the originial drive shaft in this scenario.

The larger ZF trans, stock in an M3, can be installed into a TI but its a budget buster. (Custom drive shaft needed.)

The issue you'll need to address is the differential. Many have reported differential failures if you don't go with the large case (188mm) diff. The small case (168mm) wasn't designed to handle the extra torque. You'll want to research what gear you'll want to run with as well. An I-6 doesn't need to be as rev-happy as the stock 1.8, so a higher gear will probably be necessary.

Large case LSD diff with a four bolt flange works perfectly and retains the stock driveshaft.

GhostRyder
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
awesome, thanks aton for the help

mooseheadm5
01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
What they said, and also remember, the auto has a 4.44 diff and the manual has a 3.45. The best all around diff to use for a 6 cyl is 3.25. If you want to drag the thing, go for a numerically higher gear like a 3.46 or 3.73. If you want gas mileage, go for a 2.93 (much less fun, though.) If you swap to a manual, you will need lots of stuff, so try to find a wrecked 318, 323 or 325 to get the pedals, clutch hydraulics, trans, shifter parts, and driveshaft from. You don't want a wrecked 328 or M3 because it has a ZF trans and the driveshaft is different and would require custom fittment at the diff (unless you want to do your engine swap when you find one.) I am doing this in addition to an M50 right now and, boy, I wish I had the whole car!
-Paul