PDA

View Full Version : Coil On Plug Converstion Interest?

rob_e30
01-18-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure if there is interest here, but there is a Coil On Plug converstion available for the M42/M44 engines. It uses the same coils and plug connectors as the E46 330's X's, etc.

Here's what it looks like:

bullmand
01-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Where does it come from, what else is required, how much does it cost and what's the benefit?

mohaughn
01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.aa1car.com/library/copign.htm

You are basically simplifying the ignition system. The coil sparks directly to the plug, no wires to travel over. Gains probably are not much other than it looks kind of cool.

May be the same person but these were being made for members at m42club. All you got was the plate though, you would still have to buy the coil packs seperately and wire the plugs into your wiring harness.

rob_e30
01-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Yes, I'm the guy from M42. This first round is just the plates and hardware. We're looking at getting future kits powdercoated and shipping with coils. It turns out that it's cheaper than replacing the coil packs and wires. There are no separate wires to purchase. Because these use BMW coils it will plug directly into your existing harness. All you need are the coils, the spark plug leads, and the plate with hardware.

I have to remove or relocate the coils because of another upgrade to the engine that wants to occupy the same real estate so there are other reasons besides aesthetics. Some claim a mild improvement in the smoothness of the idle and power, but I would attribute that to the benefit of having new coils and wires as opposed to this specific upgrade.

The first round of plates and hardware are running $45.

bullmand
01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Rob,
You work for Bimmerworld, right? If so I assume these kits are available there. Any idea what the price will be for the whole thing including the coils and leads?

rob_e30
01-19-2007, 03:16 AM
Rob,
You work for Bimmerworld, right? If so I assume these kits are available there. Any idea what the price will be for the whole thing including the coils and leads?

No, I'm not the Rob from Bimmerworld. I'm just a guy with a race car who needed this part and had some extra made. A friend and I have built and sold another race car so we do projects like this to help offset our racing expenses. We can deliver the complete kit with coils for an intro price of $275 plus shipping. That's 4 new coils with the plug wires and mounting hardware. A new set of traditional coils and wires for an M42/M44 runs about $360.