PDA

View Full Version : DASC (coolant temp) Question (help)!

marko
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
quick question for all that have DASC... I installed my SC last weekend and this morning was the first time I made the entire commute distance (50 miles @ 20 degrees F)... although the car runs & pulls flawlessly and there are no warning lights on, I'm seeing my TEMP needle STEADY at the FIRST line on the gauge (1/3), which is NOWHERE NEAR its previous running temp of close to or @ DEAD CENTER... also, it seems that when I turn on the heat in the car, it does not get as hot as it used to (thought that could be my paranoia)... so, did I maybe F-UP my thermostat & need a new one (seems its constantly OPEN fail/safe), or is this something every DASC-ed car does (run cold)??:confused: :confused:

318iS
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
if its not gettin up to temperature and there is no hot air from vents that usually does mean thermostat.....

could be something dasc related but i doubt it.....

marko
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
yeah, it seems so doesn't it.... also, forgot to add - it tends to got to DEAD CENTER when standing still, but it drops down right away when at speed.

if its not gettin up to temperature and there is no hot air from vents that usually does mean thermostat.....

could be something dasc related but i doubt it.....

318iS
01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
might get slaughtered for saying this......

but the coolant might flow more when moving which causes it to cool down and not get up to op. temp. cos of an open thermostat ? ? ?

kinda makes sense but Im not sure mate.....

marko
01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
well, your guess is as good as mine.. I'll just go ahead & change it & see where it takes me.. thanks man.

might get slaughtered for saying this......

but the coolant might flow more when moving which causes it to cool down and not get up to op. temp. cos of an open thermostat ? ? ?

kinda makes sense but Im not sure mate.....

Will'sBimmer
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Let me know if that helps out with your heat cus i have been having a promblem with mine in my car and I dont have DASC. My temp will only go past the blue mark and not even to the 1/3 line. Also my heat does not work at all I mean it feels semi warm but nothing to help in the winter weather. The only time my gauge gets to 1/3 line or above is when I am doing 80 or more on the interstate for 5 mintues straight. Could my promblem be the thermostat??

318iS
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
probably is as its struggling to get up heat so the thermostat is stuck open....

its the cheapest thing to change in terms of parts and labor as it isnt hard to do at all........

marko
01-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, I would agree in thinking its a thermostat that you'll have to change.. my car gets to half point when not moving, but drops to 1/3 at speed, so its a bit less of an effect, but it seems like you certainly may need a new thernostat.

Let me know if that helps out with your heat cus i have been having a promblem with mine in my car and I dont have DASC. My temp will only go past the blue mark and not even to the 1/3 line. Also my heat does not work at all I mean it feels semi warm but nothing to help in the winter weather. The only time my gauge gets to 1/3 line or above is when I am doing 80 or more on the interstate for 5 mintues straight. Could my promblem be the thermostat??

marleymon
01-30-2007, 06:13 PM
thermos are designed to fail open so you don't over heat. I had the same issue once apon a time...thermos are easy to replace, just make sure you get the corect gasket too, and burp the system correctly.
It's really not a bad time to replace the pump with the newer design while doing this also.

cooljess76
01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Stold the words right outta my mouth. Metal Impellar Water Pump, T-Stat,
DON'T FORGET TO BURP THE SYSTEM AFTERWARDS!!!

DustenT
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Stold the words right outta my mouth. Metal Impellar Water Pump, T-Stat,
DON'T FORGET TO BURP THE SYSTEM AFTERWARDS!!!

Yep, burp and check fluid levels.

Will'sBimmer
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
I am going to have my mechanic change my thermostat and burp the system. But I was wondering where can I find this newer water pump version? Is there an online store that has them in stock? I'll let you all know how this all works out and thanks for the help and information cus you have saved me from alot of cold days and nights in the Ti.:biggrin:

318iS
01-31-2007, 12:44 AM
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36coolingsystem

cooljess76
01-31-2007, 03:28 AM
Dude save some cash, It only takes about 30 minutes! The thermostat costs about $20 and the water pump about $50. They only sell the metal impeller pumps now. Burping the system is easy, I do mine every week since I have a crack in my radiator.

aceyx
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
They only sell the metal impeller pumps now.
If you buy from the dealer; there are still aftermarket manufacturers that make/sell the plastic impeller pumps.

In any event, I'll 2nd that changing the thermostat and bleeding the system is an easy DIY job.

Just make sure you use penetrating spray on the bolts that hold on the thermostat. (WD40 is NOT a penetrating spray. Use Kroil, PB Blaster, etc. Ask at the store if you're unsure.)

saintly
02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
my guess is that it needs to be burped but i have also had to replace my thermostat in recent time and it behaved like that too.. i would start with the burp tho.