PDA

View Full Version : hi 96 318ti from wisconsin

doubleray
01-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi guys, I just joined the forum last week before I purchased my '96 318ti Active (I think) A family friend and car dealer that we've known and trusted for years picked it up at an insurance auction. The car runs great but has front end damage (smashed grill, hood, etc) We settled for a price and we're fixing it up right now, hopefully it'll be done soon so I can get some pictures up for you.

I'm 18 years old, work part-time for the military and full-time as a IT Technician. I've only been driving for a little over a year so this will be my first car that I can atually work with. I was originally looking at buying and modding the typical Japanese import and but I had my eyes set on a Sunfire GT. I called my friend and asked him if the place I was going to buy it from had a good rep, and as I was on the phone with him he told me about the bimmer he just got at an auction. So I stopped by, had a look and was impressed. So I thought about it and decided i'd do something different than everyone else around here and get a European Import. And it really couldn't have come at a better time seeing as I'm out of a car, but my dealer hooked me up with a 1990 Prizm loaner car for the week just to get to work and back while my BMW gets repaired.

I'll have a lot of questions cause it's my first European car so I'll stick around, can't wait to show you some before and after pics of the car! I have the before pictures on my phone, once I find my card reader i'll put them up! and then I'll use my SLR to get the after pictures :)

cooljess76
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Welcome Aboard, congratulations on the purchase. You can find most of the parts you'll need in our "for sale" section. As for mods, try to keep it Euro as opposed to rice.

H3_2.1-ti
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Welcome.

pnosker
01-31-2007, 11:13 PM
If you need a set of stock US Headlights in pretty good condition, shoot me a PM.

DustenT
01-31-2007, 11:20 PM
What part of Wisconsin? What a great place to live, eh? The high temps are supposed to be in the single digits for the next week.

96cali
02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Ex cheese head here. Welcome to the forum!

doubleray
02-01-2007, 12:56 AM
What part of Wisconsin? What a great place to live, eh? The high temps are supposed to be in the single digits for the next week. Da Southside of Milwaukee eh.... woke up this mornin at 5 to friggin -02 degree weather. might as well be canada.

If you need a set of stock US Headlights in pretty good condition, shoot me a PM.

I'm actually going to go with angel eyes I think, but the first thing I want to do is put a new exhaust on. anyone have any recommendations for exhaust? I could really use some. I'm looking to spend around $500, and I have the stock Active 318ti, no body kit and it'll be a limited space as you all know :-P but any ideas for a good performance exhaust under $500 is what I'm looking for at the moment, something that'll sound nice and do my car some good.
thanks!

96cali
02-01-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm from South Milwaukee and Cudahy (jokes welcome... :tongue:)

Exhausts- supersprint is the quietest, most like stock, the not-all-stainless catback is within your price range. Stromung, Bosal are popular too. What type of sound are you looking for? Lots of threads, do a search. There are a handfull of Ti-specific systems, not boat loads.

DustenT
02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Da Southside of Milwaukee eh.... woke up this mornin at 5 to friggin -02 degree weather. might as well be canada.

There are a couple of us in the Madison/Milwaukee area. I have a supercharged 318ti and Snuggz has a m3 motor swapped 318ti, we both live in Madison. IndianaTravis lives in Milwaukee and there are a couple ppl in the Chicago area too.

Join Badger Bimmers, It's the Wisconsin BMWCCA club. They hold lots of fun BMW related events. www.badgerbimmers.org

I'm active in autocross racing in the summer months. If you are interested in doing some parking lot racing just send me a PM and I'm send you some more links.

Oh yeah, also check out the regional section on bimmerforums: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160
We have meets a couple times a month, so that's a good way to meet some other BMW enthusiasts.

marleymon
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
good call on SKIppinG on the Sunfire....
If you need an OEM hood...I have contact with a guy in Chicago....
OEM for $100!! (unpainted-brand new-)