PDA

View Full Version : New Miller MAF

Viper3812
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Found this off of their website, they are just releasing it for $349.

http://www.millerperformancecars.com/m42maf.html

What do you guys think? Looks like a good upgrade for a decent price.

AutoM3otives
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Do it.

mohaughn
02-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Interesting.. I do have to wonder what kind of MAF they are using to sell the chip and the MAF so cheap. I'd want to see some pictures of the install on an e36 as the airbox is different on the e30.

If you don't already have a chip on your car and you are looking at buying a turner chip this is definitely a better value if you can get more than 12hp out of it...

Kind of worthless without some good dyno numbers. Or even just some g-tech numbers if you do a before and after with the same g-tech, same car, same road.

Bam2002
02-08-2007, 03:53 PM
nothing for m44 available

DustenT
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
nothing for m44 available

That's because it's a AFM to MAF conversion. The m44 already has a MAF...

mischief
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
great find

Bam2002
02-08-2007, 07:43 PM
aH OK I just purchased a 96 ti. I havent had the chance to take it all apart. YET :biggrin: .

I have only been working with 80s E30 mainly 6 cyl..So I guess I need to read up on the M44. Also learn the 4cyl system and how to get more power out of it.

I see that Dinan has a Throttle Body and intake and chip. I was looking for other alternatives. I am setting up a Mtech 318 ti for autocrossing. I plan to do Cams, Flywheel and header / exhaust at some point.

But the intake and TB is an easy and fast upgrade. Then Cat back.. the other things above will be in time.

I also am researching coil overs and spring rates. more to follow on that.

B

DustenT
02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
aH OK I just purchased a 96 ti. I havent had the chance to take it all apart. YET :biggrin: .

I have only been working with 80s E30 mainly 6 cyl..So I guess I need to read up on the M44. Also learn the 4cyl system and how to get more power out of it.

I see that Dinan has a Throttle Body and intake and chip. I was looking for other alternatives. I am setting up a Mtech 318 ti for autocrossing. I plan to do Cams, Flywheel and header / exhaust at some point.

But the intake and TB is an easy and fast upgrade. Then Cat back.. the other things above will be in time.

I also am researching coil overs and spring rates. more to follow on that.

B

Do some research before buying headers, intake, TBs, etc....You'll only be disappointed.

Bam2002
02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Yep thanks I have been searching the archives here.
The reson I got a 318ti was because of a 318ti i got to drive at the last Autocross.
Here is how it was set up..
· Bilstein PSS coilover suspension

· Racing Dynamics adjustable sway bars

· E36 X-Brace

· Cross-drilled front brake rotors

· EBC yellow track brake pads

· Ireland Engineering short shift

· JB Racing lightweight flywheel

· Bavarian Autosport Tri-flow exhaust

· Dinan cold air intake

· Dinan throttle body

· Dinan engine software

· Shrick camshafts

This car kicked a$$.. On our last autocross I was able to beat my best e30 time by a second. So I am looking to build a car equal to this one. For autocrossing.
I will be doing a M50 conversion to my track e30 and only use it for Sebring/ track days. Heavier front end. Not as nimble for an AutoX but should be fine on the track.

B

mohaughn
02-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't think you can purchase that Dinan throttle body any longer.. Best and cheapest thing to do would be to take off the stock throttle body and have a machine shop bore and hone it for you.

I would also recommend the KW Variant3's or the TCKline DA coilovers over the PSS9 setup. The PSS9 and KW are more street oriented and the TCKline DA can be modified by TCKline to meet any track setup you want. Alaskablue on here has the KW3 coilovers and he complains that he gets to much body roll with the progressive rate springs that they use. TCKline does not use progressive-rate springs.

TCKline is an expert on setting up the Z3 for racing which has an identical suspension as ours. I'm running 550 up front and 500 in the rear with no rear sway bar and a 28mm sway bar up front. I'm also running Groundcontrol "M3" adjustable sway bar endlinks.

Air intakes don't do much of anything except for make more noise on the Ti. Just remove the intake muffler and don't bother with a CAI.

I don't see cams, headers, intake, etc.. really giving you much more power.. Better throttle response definitely, and they will move the power band around.. But since the M44 has OBDII you will find that the computer will correct out most of the gains that you see to keep it inline on emissions. The main reason that most people with OBDII race cars convert the engine/ecu back to OBDI to get real power out of the engine.

Bam2002
02-08-2007, 10:01 PM
OK ill go search on it.. But is there a quick run down to convert back to ODBI?

This car will be street legal, but I already have 2 other daily drivers. So it will be a track/ autocross car 1st. I dont plan to convert the car in a week. But within a year the car will need to be set up.

Even things that only give me better low end torque or better throttle respose are worthwhile to me.

Thanks

mohaughn
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I've never heard of an M44 being converted back to OBDI. Really just something I've seen done on the I6, m52 motors. You need the right bosch ECU, and custom tuning unless you can find a kit for it.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/obd-i-conversion-kit.htm

dude8383
02-13-2007, 03:55 AM
i've purchased the Miller MAF, I was actually the first to put the order through.

They said the product will be shipped around mid-March...so expect an update for me sometime then!

mohaughn
02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Do you have any details on the tune itself? Max RPM, speed limit, fuel octane, idle RPM, etc....

And do you know how willing they are to make changes in the tuning or other ECU functions? It will be nice to have another tuner and more options available for the m42.

dude8383
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Do you have any details on the tune itself? Max RPM, speed limit, fuel octane, idle RPM, etc....

And do you know how willing they are to make changes in the tuning or other ECU functions? It will be nice to have another tuner and more options available for the m42.

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757

the guy that developed the system posts here.

i dont know much about the whole system, other than the fact that it comes with a chip thats tuned nicely for the motor.

Its a plug and play system, so I didn't really think about any of the factors that you mentioned.

However it is a good thing you asked because I'm gonna have to tell them to tune the chip for 93 octane and a redline.

Viper3812
02-19-2007, 07:25 AM
i've purchased the Miller MAF, I was actually the first to put the order through.

They said the product will be shipped around mid-March...so expect an update for me sometime then!

I might be joining you on the purchase.

dude8383
02-19-2007, 07:36 AM
I might be joining you on the purchase.

sweet! i can't wait to get mine...with my coil on plug conversion, this should really make the car run great!

Viper3812
03-22-2007, 08:28 PM
sweet! i can't wait to get mine...with my coil on plug conversion, this should really make the car run great!
I'm ordering the MAF tomorrow. I read somewhere on m42club that I think you can get the chip custom tuned to a higher octane, do you know of that? Have you heard from Miller when it will be shipped out to you?

dude8383
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm ordering the MAF tomorrow. I read somewhere on m42club that I think you can get the chip custom tuned to a higher octane, do you know of that? Have you heard from Miller when it will be shipped out to you?

Yes you can get a custom chip burned for you. You'd have to send it back to the company though...and at a cost.

Haven't yet heard from them...

Den
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Interesting.. I do have to wonder what kind of MAF they are using to sell the chip and the MAF so cheap. I'd want to see some pictures of the install on an e36 as the airbox is different on the e30.

If you don't already have a chip on your car and you are looking at buying a turner chip this is definitely a better value if you can get more than 12hp out of it...

. . .However it is a good thing you asked because I'm gonna have to tell them to tune the chip for 93 octane and a redline.

Yes you can get a custom chip burned for you. You'd have to send it back to the company though...and at a cost.

Haven't yet heard from them...

It does seem like a reasonably-priced kit if it does what it's supposed to do, but having to send it in for a 'custom' burn just to run 93 octane would be weak. That should be an off-the-shelf option. There's nothing custom about it. Probably at least half of the buyers would order it with a 93-octane chip.

ipswich318ti
03-26-2007, 10:28 PM
so what does this actually do for the m42

dude8383
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
so what does this actually do for the m42

http://www.millerperformancecars.com/m42maf.html

ipswich318ti
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
looks good so will it would on uk cars ???
and is it for the e30 m42 only

robcarync
03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
looks interesting, but i already have a cold air intake and dinan chip (which compliment each other a bit)...im not sure how much actual gains i would get from it and if its worth scrapping the dinan chip which already gives me 14 hp with the intake.

im still interested in hearing how it works for you guys that purchased one.

ipswich318ti
03-26-2007, 11:23 PM
14bhp from chip and filter bloody hell thats good

dude8383
03-27-2007, 12:09 AM
looks interesting, but i already have a cold air intake and dinan chip (which compliment each other a bit)...im not sure how much actual gains i would get from it and if its worth scrapping the dinan chip which already gives me 14 hp with the intake.

dyno proven?

Viper3812
03-27-2007, 12:15 AM

They told me that they just finished the e30's and are tuning the e36 m42's now, so maybe another 1-2 weeks til I get mine.

dude8383
03-27-2007, 01:34 AM

They have not shipped these out yet.

I said I would update the thread once I did receive it. It is near completion!

robcarync
03-27-2007, 03:37 AM
g tech gt2 proven....good enough for me....up to 152 hp according to the gtech...i have researched all the necessary settings to make the hp readings as accurate as possible so hopefully that really what it is. the 1/4 mile runs were done on a flat straight road, one run going one way, one coming back. both 152 hp each time.

PS: before my cold air intake set up, i had a temporary short ram intake i fabricated to use until i designed my custom CAI. my car had 147hp with that and just the chip, which is realistic since Dinan claims 11hp just for their chip, i dont think 9hp is that far off. When i replaced the short ram intake with my custom CAI, thats when i did the g tech runs and got 152hp, so looks like i got about 9 from the chip and 5 from the intake. i suppose one could also claim that the short ram intake lost power, and the CAI just regained lost power so maybe its not that high, but its close enough for me.

yeah i saw that you said you update the thread....im not being impatient, just saying this set up looks interesting and im curious to see how it works too!

dude8383
03-27-2007, 04:27 AM
sorry to have come of that way!

I'm just as excited about hooking this thing up as you are about hearing more info!

According to the website, they should be getting ready to ship em out!

g tech gt2 proven....good enough for me....up to 152 hp according to the gtech...i have researched all the necessary settings to make the hp readings as accurate as possible so hopefully that really what it is. the 1/4 mile runs were done on a flat straight road, one run going one way, one coming back. both 152 hp each time.

PS: before my cold air intake set up, i had a temporary short ram intake i fabricated to use until i designed my custom CAI. my car had 147hp with that and just the chip, which is realistic since Dinan claims 11hp just for their chip, i dont think 9hp is that far off. When i replaced the short ram intake with my custom CAI, thats when i did the g tech runs and got 152hp, so looks like i got about 9 from the chip and 5 from the intake. i suppose one could also claim that the short ram intake lost power, and the CAI just regained lost power so maybe its not that high, but its close enough for me.

yeah i saw that you said you update the thread....im not being impatient, just saying this set up looks interesting and im curious to see how it works too!

Viper3812
03-27-2007, 05:24 AM
g tech gt2 proven....good enough for me....up to 152 hp according to the gtech...i have researched all the necessary settings to make the hp readings as accurate as possible so hopefully that really what it is.
Little off topic, but are the gtech's still availble in the market? I used to have one, but got rid of it and now I want it again.

robcarync
03-27-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure, I got mine off ebay. 90 bucks for the gt2. it was in original packaging but was opened...apparently someone decided they didnt want it rigt after they opened it up. i think the gt2 is the better deal...more settings, stores more data, and is a cool blue lcd screen. accurate times and if you get the settings right, accurate and consistant hp readings. the g force meter is a cool little tool too.

i have this cool sticky pad for my dash that my cell phone goes on, and i decided to measure how many g forces it takes to launch it off the pad...so i went to a round about in the middle of the night and just went in circles faster and faster until it flew off... it takes .93 g forces to make my cell phone fly off my sticky pad!

it was pretty cool actually, instead of like flipping and sliding off the dash to the floor, it eventually just flew off and went through the air and was stuck up agianst the bottom of the window/top of the door panel and just stayed there until i slowed down...then it fell to the floor...i want to video tape that sometime cause it looked cool as hell!

Viper3812
03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks. I just looked on ebay and found a GT1 for $27 shipped. The GT2's are $180 plus shipping :( oh well I just want one again, so GT1 it is.

robcarync
03-27-2007, 06:49 AM
wow 180...thats a lot...gt1 isnt bad either....just pretty basic...but gets the job done...27 bucks for a gt1 is pretty sweet.

its very consistant in hp readings....the hardest part is finding a place you can stop and floor it for 1/4 mile that is straight and flat....if you do a timed run down a hill, you will get some CRAZY hp readings lol

mohaughn
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey viper. When you get your maf conversion we should look at going to one of those CFBMW dyno days. 75$ and you get 3 or 4 runs with AFR and printouts. Same dyno same day should give us some kind of decent comparison. Probably have some M3 guys making fun of the 4 cylinder though.. hehe

Viper3812
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
wow 180...thats a lot...gt1 isnt bad either....just pretty basic...but gets the job done...27 bucks for a gt1 is pretty sweet.

its very consistant in hp readings....the hardest part is finding a place you can stop and floor it for 1/4 mile that is straight and flat....if you do a timed run down a hill, you will get some CRAZY hp readings lol

Yeah, I remember how my GT2 was, I liked it a lot, mainly used it for the G's

Viper3812
03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey viper. When you get your maf conversion we should look at going to one of those CFBMW dyno days. 75$ and you get 3 or 4 runs with AFR and printouts. Same dyno same day should give us some kind of decent comparison. Probably have some M3 guys making fun of the 4 cylinder though.. hehe
lol... Definitely will go to a dyno day when it's on and if I am able to keep the Supersprint header I'll try and get it on too. Right now I am really tight on money so it needs to go, but if I can survive within the next 2 weeks I will be able to keep it.

Viper3812
05-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Just about 2 months since estimated completion and still no MAF. They still do nto have a car to work out the bugs and probably will not have the system completed for another month. I asked Miller Performance today for my refund and will use the money for my 329ti project and new brakes.

Viper3812
05-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Just got an e-mail from Miller. The M42 MAF Project has come to an end.

Miller Performance Ltd.
2001 Abbotsford Way
Abbotsford, BC
V2S 6Y5
Release May 29, 2007:

Dear Valued Customers,

Due to unforeseen complications with the M42 Mass air flow (MAF) conversion, Miller
Performance is deeply sorry to announce that M42 MAF Development will come to an
end. It is no longer profitable to pursue this MAF system. Unlike Miller Performance’s
other MAF system, the M42 will not be able to use the components that are normally
used in the generation of these systems. As well, the Air Flow Meter (AFM) is very
different from any other AFM Miller Performance has studied. The complications that
have risen from the M42 System make it impossible at this point in time to release a
product that holds to Miller Performance’s high standards. There were drivability issues
that surfaced over time as the ECU adapted. With over $6000 invested into the
development, Miller Performance has stated that it is too costly to continue. It will
however, in the future, reopen the research as there is a solution. But, because this
solution will take more time to develop, we can no longer keep our pre-release customers
waiting. We will be issuing FULL refunds to all who pre-purchased their M42 MAF
system.
Again, Miller Performance apologizes for any disappointment and we hope you
understand.

Miller Performance Staff – Public Relations
CC: Daniel J. Miller – President
CC: R. Brody Saari – Vice President

mischief
05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
that suxs big time i wanted this kit ...this suxs

mohaughn
05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Man. Seems that there are some serious issues getting the m42 ECU tuned using aftermarket intake parts... I wonder if the splitsecond maf conversion also has the same kind of drivability issues.

Viper3812
05-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I think the splitsecond doesn't. I know someone on this board has it. Maybe DustenT?