PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Transmission rumble from 1st gear to 2nd on auto?

El magnifico
02-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey this is my first post on the board as I just bought a 1995 318ti this weekend and yes I love this car more than words can describe.

BUT: I noticed that when I rev the transmission from first to 2nd aggressively the bottom middle of the car (atleast I think thats where it is) and the front right of the dash (this just might be echoing from the bottom mid section) begin a low rumble.

I atfirst thought thats just how BMWs are as my friend owns a 86 325 es and his does the same thing when he shifts from first to 2nd (manual and he complains its his transmission as well), but when I drive the care tentatively as if it isnt the ultimate driving machine no rumbling occurs as it switches gears.

Everything else on the car works PERFECT aside from the right window that got unaligned from the weather stripping once, but was fixed with some elbow grease.

The engine is spotless as the car had only one fulltime owner and was driven now and then only to keep from sitting too long in a 3 car garage.
When I drive the car on the freeway once it gets passed 1st to 2nd it drives like a racecar flawlessly ( under 69k miles when bought.)

Can anyone tell me if they suspect it infact IS the transmission and whether or not a simple fluid drain or oil change will do the trick?

Replies and advice on how I should treat the car initially are welcome as I want to fix this problem before I really break this car in.

El magnifico
02-22-2007, 08:54 AM
P.S.

I noticed the car only reacts like this when it is warm i.e. if I dont drive the car all day, it doesnt rumble when changing from 1st to 2nd until after Ive driven it for while

weezer
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
First off, try to recall if the transmission has been serviced lately or ever.
If not, it might help performing a flush and fill, better if you can flush, clean, replace the filter and refill with better (synthetic) ATF. That's the cheapest thing to do aside of having to rebuild or replace the trans.
Good Luck!!

El magnifico
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, i'll try that this weekend

El magnifico
02-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Took it to my mechanic and was shocked to find out that the rotary coupling that connected the drive train (dont quote me on this, I havnt been into cars that long) was thrashed.

Apparrently the rumble I was hearing was part of the coupling hitting the transmission/drivetrain and was on its way to destroying the transmission entirely.

Had it replaced immediately and saved myself a cool thousand by catching it early.... it had NOTHING to do with the fluid, but i'm glad I got this one before it ruined my car

angel318ti
03-01-2007, 03:39 AM
are you talking about the guibo? mine looks like crap too so i better replace it soon! good catch BTW.