PDA

View Full Version : oil pan removal with transmission out...

iananderson02
03-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Can the oil pan be removed without dropping the front subframe when the transmission is already removed? I have the tranny/flywheel/clutch out to replace a failed throw out bearing. The oil pan gasket looks like it's seeping a bit so I figured now may be the time to replace it. So, can the pan be slid off the back of the block, when these components are removed, without dropping the subframe? If not, what about lifting the engine off the subframe slightly, without disconnecting anything other than the motor mounts? Anybody dealt with this specifically? Thanks in advance...

-ian

By the way, car is a 1997 with the M44...

angel318ti
03-04-2007, 03:08 AM
if your transmission is down all you might have to do is undo your motor mounts and lift the engine just enought to clear the pan. I've never done it this way but I think its very do-able since the transmission is out of the way already.

iananderson02
03-04-2007, 05:19 AM
if your transmission is down all you might have to do is undo your motor mounts and lift the engine just enought to clear the pan. I've never done it this way but I think its very do-able since the transmission is out of the way already.

that's what i'm thinking... thanks...

iananderson02
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Just got done, NO engine lifting was needed, the oil pan slides right out the back when the transmission is removed. This does however require that the crank be positioned correctly so it does not protrude into the pan.

Because the oil pump pickup is built into the pan there are really no clearance issues besides the transmission durring normal (transmission in the car) removal.

Overall VERY VERY easy. Do yourself a favor and replace you leaky (and not leaky) oil pan gaskets next time your tranny is out!

-ian

steve318ti
12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
So, If I want to change my oil pan, can I just remove the trasmition, instead lift the whole engine?

iananderson02
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
So, If I want to change my oil pan, can I just remove the trasmition, instead lift the whole engine?

yup. at least thats how it worked for me, several times now on ti's and z3's....

steve318ti
12-05-2007, 12:32 AM
is not more work?