PDA

View Full Version : DASC Setup

HuGo
03-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Ive been wanting to ask but i forget and now i remembered.....

Theres a tube that goes from the engine to the elbow of the kit, either the top of the elbow or on the back (refer to pic 1). I dont have that installed. Instead, i have a filter put there. (refer to pic 1, where its circled) The reason why we removed that tube is because the engine felt like it was fatting up and was spitting up engine oil. For the first week, everytime i drove somewhere the engine smelled like it was burning but the gauge was reading fine. I would open the hood (this was the first week i had the SC on) and you can see white smoke going up and the smell of burnt but the gauge was in the middle. But when we decided to close on the of the nipples from the elbow, remove that tube, and put a filter there instead, it was WAY better. The engine wouldnt get hot, it wouldnt spill oil, and didnt smell like burn.

Heres my question, is there any power loss in having it this way? Am i losing HP or is it a bad idea to have it this way? Is it fine? Is it the same thing whether having that tube put on or have a filter there?

Why did it puff up and spill oil when the tube was put on and is way better with a filter there instead?

Would it still be ok to have the filter there when i go with the stage 3 software?

mohaughn
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you need a crankcase breather tube catch can. That opening in the back of the block is so that built up gas and moisture can escape from the crank case. The hose cycles the gases back into the intake so that the car puts out less pollution. I would guess with just a filter on their that you will not pass california emissions as they will look to make sure that your crank case breather tube is hooked up properly. I'm not sure what a filter does on that connection either as that is an exhaust port, not an intake port.

Honestly though, their should be an oil/air seperator in the block that should keep oil from coming out of the crankcase breather tube. Atleast the way I understand it. Hopefully one of the pro mechanics will step up and correct me if I'm wrong on this.

So again.. RTFM, or call Downing Atlanta and ask them.

1996 328ti
03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
So again.. RTFM, or call Downing Atlanta and ask them.+1
And don't PM me.