PDA

View Full Version : Ported Throtle Body

weezer
03-14-2007, 02:37 AM
So, I got bored and bought two (2), yes 2 throttle bodies, because I botched my first attempt to port the throttle body. The left one is the stock and the left after about 2-3 days of carefully measuring, grinding and scrubbing/scraping the ports. I also ground the TB flap/butterflies to make it slightly thinner. What I'm not showing is the ported upper intake.
I installed this TB and, of course it was hunting for idle and leaking vacuum somewhere, and I suspect the flaps were ground too much and air escaping thru them.
I bought another TB and re-ground/scrape, but not the flaps. This time, it worked. The result was a better throttle reponse and (I think) gained upper RPM torque (maybe HP), especially above the 4000RPM range.
I have a Dinan chip so, I think this extra air mixture helped the upper bands, especially now that my red line has been raised to 7k.
I can't wait to feel the results after the Stromung exhaust has been installed.
I also painted the upper intake black.
Perhaps I will also paint the valve cover, when I replace the gasket.
But that's another story.

ipswich318ti
03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
cool so is it a bigger bore or just smoother ect

mohaughn
03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I talked to a local machine shop to have it done to my throttle body done and they wanted to know what the bore should be when it is done. They wanted me to do a little research on it instead of just asking them to make it flow more.

Does anybody know off hand what the measurements are on the dinan throttle body? Bam2002 has access to one to measure but it would be easier if somebody else knew the proper measurements or could atleast tell me the measurements that they have used to get this done.

weezer
03-16-2007, 12:07 AM
I believe the Dinan big bore throttle body is a single large bore TB and they don't make them anymore. I just measure the internal diameter with caliper meter and go from there. Don't go overboard if you decide to do it, now. The first one I botched was because of that. There are portions of the ports that is polished for the flaps to move freely.
Do not port that part as vacuum leaks will abound. It would also be better if the flaps are machined until razor thin; as that will decrease the air intake turbulence....hence smoother breathing. Essentially what you're trying to do is create a double trumpet effect. The primary port should also be ported, but again not too much. This is your idle, part and initial throttle mixture mechanism. Too much will cause drivablity issue at part throttle.
Perhaps, as I become more and more mechanically confident, I will attempt to port the lower intake portion that goes into the engine and pair that with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and see how much HP/Torque I can squeeze out with just improving the breathing aspects of the engine.
I hear if you run it just tad lean, you get an extra push as more air is mixed and calculated by the ECU. Especially if the ECU has been flashed.
With the Stromung exhaust, I will find a shop with a Dyno to see the results.
To be cont......

Bam2002
03-16-2007, 12:26 AM
LOL I also jsut bought 2 TBs and upper intakes. So i am going to try the same thing. I will be able to measure / look at the Dinan on the 25th of this month.. I also have access to a machine shop that builds 1000 hp drag engines. So he has done a good deal of porting and polishing > i plan to bring him one to give me suggestions or maybe even do them. I was speaking with Mo about maybe having him do a batch of them .. if there are a few of us in FL that are interested. I also want to do the intake manafold, but not sure how accessable it is. And its expesive to have the paste stuff pumped thru it,, I forgot whats its calle.. excrusion?

B

weezer
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
LOL I also jsut bought 2 TBs and upper intakes. So i am going to try the same thing. I will be able to measure / look at the Dinan on the 25th of this month.. I also have access to a machine shop that builds 1000 hp drag engines. So he has done a good deal of porting and polishing > i plan to bring him one to give me suggestions or maybe even do them. I was speaking with Mo about maybe having him do a batch of them .. if there are a few of us in FL that are interested. I also want to do the intake manafold, but not sure how accessable it is. And its expesive to have the paste stuff pumped thru it,, I forgot whats its calle.. excrusion?

B

Extrusion....
Correct me if I'm wrong, the Dinan TB is a single port, correct?

What I would like to do with the intake manifold is to match the ports/holes to the ones on the Cylinder head. I gues one can do that by grinding the ports while the gasket is still attached and match the sizes.

ipswich318ti
03-16-2007, 01:14 AM
im gona get a bbtb soon some one does them here in the uk

Mallard
03-16-2007, 01:29 AM
yup, a mamber from www.e36coupe.com called Alpina357 or something does them on return basis

i think the prices are £150, and the inlet ports are enlarged, a bigger diameter flap and outlet .

its also possible to open out the intake phlenum to take more air in

we used to do it on the e30 M20 2 liter when we put the 2.5 liter TB on

easy enough aslong as you followed the gasket as a template ;)

ipswich318ti
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
cool so could tht be done with the ti one

Mallard
03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
technically yeah, but the TBs are relative to model size

1.6 - M43
1,8/1,9 -M44
1,8is- M42
2,3- M50

none are realy interchangeable, so it´ll just be an enlargement of the current unit

ipswich318ti
03-16-2007, 01:53 AM
yer i been chatting to alpina and he is gona sort me a bbtb m42

Mallard
03-16-2007, 02:10 AM
have u considered a chip too?

would probably be a good idea, as well as a CAI

ipswich318ti
03-16-2007, 02:11 AM
i have a powechips chip but also have a viper chip on its way
i have a pipercross filter with a dave f style heatshield
and a full magnex

Mallard
03-16-2007, 02:22 AM
u´re sorted then geez! :D

ipswich318ti
03-16-2007, 02:25 AM
yup just ssk and a uuc clutch stop to pop in and that will do

mohaughn
03-16-2007, 05:27 PM

B

Let me know what you find out on this. The hose that connects the intake boot to the ICV on my car is dry rotted and about to fall apart. So I will end up taking the upper manifold off of my car sometime in the next couple of months anyways. If I could send him the TB and the manifold and get it all done for a fair amount that would be a no brainer.

Or, if you end up having a spare, and get the machining work done to those I'd gladly buy them for the cost of the machining and your costs. I think there might be differences between the m42 and m44 TB though.

Bam2002
03-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Sure Re having them both done.. I need to get them over to him. Work has me traveling quite a bit so I have not been home to take them to his shop. Maybe next week..
it would also be interesting if he could make a larger flap to allow the whole TB to be enlarged.

B

m3evo2
03-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I have fiited BBTB to my M44, a long with Superchip and AS Schnitzer exhaust and carbon cold air iduction, goes well.

ipswich318ti
03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
have u had it rr ??

Viper3812
03-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Let me know what you find out on this. The hose that connects the intake boot to the ICV on my car is dry rotted and about to fall apart. So I will end up taking the upper manifold off of my car sometime in the next couple of months anyways. If I could send him the TB and the manifold and get it all done for a fair amount that would be a no brainer.

Or, if you end up having a spare, and get the machining work done to those I'd gladly buy them for the cost of the machining and your costs. I think there might be differences between the m42 and m44 TB though.
Me too, I am interested aswell. I will try and find some for us or if you have extras give me a price.
m44 TB is a lil different from the m42.

Viper3812
04-16-2007, 12:38 AM
bump.

Bam2002
04-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Im finally going over to the machine shop this week. I have been travleing for the past 2 weeks straight.

I have to drop off a e34 head to have it pressure tested. So ill have them look at a throttle body and intake.

B

Viper3812
04-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Im finally going over to the machine shop this week. I have been travleing for the past 2 weeks straight.

I have to drop off a e34 head to have it pressure tested. So ill have them look at a throttle body and intake.

B

That's cool. Let us know when you find out.

Bam2002
05-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Ok I got my hands on a Dinan intake to look at. I took photos and measured it. Here is what I found
The big oval area is widened and the main TB butterfly is .4mm larger so they must hone it out and put a bigger circular plate in. The plate is also aluim not brass and doesnt have the rubber outside edge that my junkyard ones have on the outside edges of the brass round plate.

So now I know the dimensions I can get with the machine shop and see what it would cost to hone it out and make up new butterfly plates.

Barry

Panzer_M
05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
another fl memeber interested on a BB M42 TB.

I got a spare M44 TB sitting around wasting space, if anyone needs one werked.

mohaughn
05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Cool. So it sounds like we have 4 people in the CF area that are interested in doing this. Although I'm curious how the M44 TB measurements compare to an M42 TB.

Bam2002
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Yea the ones I have as spares are m42.. the look the same. Ill need to compare them to what is on my car m44. and then compare the numbers to the Dinan one.. I think i can do it this weekend. Were doing a Auto X on Sun but.. there is sat Am.. After I get the Ti ready for Sun.

B

weezer
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Ok I got my hands on a Dinan intake to look at. I took photos and measured it. Here is what I found
The big oval area is widened and the main TB butterfly is .4mm larger so they must hone it out and put a bigger circular plate in. The plate is also aluim not brass and doesnt have the rubber outside edge that my junkyard ones have on the outside edges of the brass round plate.

So now I know the dimensions I can get with the machine shop and see what it would cost to hone it out and make up new butterfly plates.

Barry

That rubber edge, as I found out the hard way, is pretty necessary. It prevents the butterflies geting stuck to the throttle body itself when it closes. I noticed during spirited driving that I will have to blip the gas pedal to "unstuck" it.
Just to let everyone know, after porting the throttle body, you do get that extra boost in power, but only in the higher RPMs. Unfortunately, that doesn't help in auto-x as we're stuck in 2nd gear. When you go into those sharp turns where the rpm goes below 3500 rpms, you will feel the "lag" trying to accelerate out of the corner.
However, during highway speeds, I can feel the pull go all the way up to 6500 rpm (the Dinan chip makes my car redlines at 7000) before levels out.
I only ported the the outer and inner edges on both ports, not touching the polished ring where the butterflies sit. The primary(small) port measured 1.6mm larger and the secondary (large) port is 2.3mm larger. In 1st gear you can feel the difference as soon as 2k rpms, in 2nd gear (best gear) 3k rpms, 3rd gear 3.5k rpms, 4th gear 4krpms. With a "raw" stopwatch, currently the 0-60 is at around 8 seconds....... a lot better than the stock average of 8.8-9.1 seconds.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

Bam2002
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info..
The Dinan TB did not have the rubber outline on the edges its was all metal. i can email photos of it to any one that wants.

Viper3812
05-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Yea the ones I have as spares are m42.. the look the same. Ill need to compare them to what is on my car m44. and then compare the numbers to the Dinan one.. I think i can do it this weekend. Were doing a Auto X on Sun but.. there is sat Am.. After I get the Ti ready for Sun.

B

Do you have an m42 or m44? From what I heard the m44 TB is slightly different from the m42. Have you found a price yet? Will it just be for the TB or manifold too?

weezer
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info..
The Dinan TB did not have the rubber outline on the edges its was all metal. i can email photos of it to any one that wants.

Yes, please. Post or send pictures.
My email is fariz.mambu@gmail.com