PDA

View Full Version : intake with heat shield

AlexBimz
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
are there any short intake systems out there with an included heat shield for a m44 96 318ti? cant seem to find any.

Viper3812
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
No heatshields for our car, make a custom one. BMP actually makes one, but it clips onto the filter so idk if it actually works.

ipswich318ti
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
i made one ill get pics up

StealthBimmer
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Most people make their own for the ti but give www.bavauto.com a look.

AlexBimz
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
thanks for the responses guys.
i just received my bavauto magazine yesterday and saw they now offer optional heat shields for their standard power flow intakes. I inquired them if it would fit out 318ti's because they had "if available" in parenthesis next to the item description. A representative responded that it hasn't been tested but he said it should fit, and if not, at most minor customization. Also i inquired modbargains.com about their heat shield and their representative said he used their heat shield on his 3.5" cosmo intake and it worked. Just letting you guys know whoever were wondering about the heatshield as well.

Viper3812
03-22-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks for the responses guys.
i just received my bavauto magazine yesterday and saw they now offer optional heat shields for their standard power flow intakes. I inquired them if it would fit out 318ti's because they had "if available" in parenthesis next to the item description. A representative responded that it hasn't been tested but he said it should fit, and if not, at most minor customization. Also i inquired modbargains.com about their heat shield and their representative said he used their heat shield on his 3.5" cosmo intake and it worked. Just letting you guys know whoever were wondering about the heatshield as well.

Here is the heatshield bmp has for the filter:
http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/category_id/43/search_year/1995/search_model/52
Any pics of the bavauto or modbargains heatshields? Will the heatshield still work with the 3" cosmoracing intake?

3184ever
03-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I was also wondering about heat shields, but I can't see myself paying for one. If i were to fabricate one, what material would you guys recommend that I make it out of? Thanks!

ipswich318ti
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
the bmp ones r crap i had one and didnt like it i have now made one its very easy to do

i used a bit of ally to make it and pop riveted it all together

weezer
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I literally used the stock lower box as the heat shield. I cut a the whole side that is facing the back of the headlight to allow the fresh air. Th surrounding covers will shield it from the engine heat.
I will take some pictures and post tonight.

robcarync
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
i have seen people use the lower half of an airbox for heat shields before on a nissaan maxima and a camry but never the ti...im interested in seeing some pics of it

AlexBimz
03-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Here is the heatshield bmp has for the filter:
http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/category_id/43/search_year/1995/search_model/52
Any pics of the bavauto or modbargains heatshields? Will the heatshield still work with the 3" cosmoracing intake?

I heard about the BMP intake heat shield, just dont like their setup, looks very ricey. I dont have any pics of the bav auto heat shield but its in their new magazine but hasn't been updated to the site yet. As for the modbargains.com heat shield heres the link...
http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=bmw-e36-intake003

robcarync
03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
that heat shield looks decent! i like it!

Viper3812
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Me too, but the only reason I wanna say it won't fit is because the sixers have different radiators than us. If you look in the pic and compare that radiator to ours the tube to pour in the coolant is not there like it is on 318ti.

weezer
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
You can buy those types of heat shields, the kind that wraps around the filter, cheaply at Pepboys.....yes.....Pepboys, made with plastic. It doesn't do much to shield heat from the engine. The best kind is the kind that Racing Dynamics makes, but expensive.

weezer
03-23-2007, 12:53 AM
As Promised I'm ataching picture of my intake set-up.

Viper3812
03-23-2007, 04:55 AM
I dont have any pics of the bav auto heat shield but its in their new magazine
Haha, I just got my issue from bavauto today!

aceyx
03-23-2007, 07:43 AM
You can buy those types of heat shields, the kind that wraps around the filter, cheaply at Pepboys.....yes.....Pepboys, made with plastic. It doesn't do much to shield heat from the engine. The best kind is the kind that Racing Dynamics makes, but expensive.
Wrap it in heat tape. You can get the stuff at most motorcycle shops that carry dirt bikes.

L84THSKY
03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I removed the heat shield from my Carbonio, cause it wouldn't fit right with my Depos. I can sell it to you if interested.

that heat shield looks decent! i like it!

robcarync
03-24-2007, 12:01 AM
it is a possibility....how does it attach to the pipe....the carbonio heat shield is just a little triangle piece that goes right on top of where the filter sits right?

do you have any pics of it on/off the car?

ive seen the one in your gallery but i cant really tell how it attaches to the car around it.

im not sure how benefitial the actual heatshield is but i am a bit curious as to how it hooks up/attaches to the car around the pipe. if you got pics id like to check em out

Mad-Machine
03-24-2007, 05:31 AM
interesting thought.. would a radiator from a 6 cylnder E36 fit? I have a small leak in mine, so it would be an "upgrade" when I go to repair it

ipswich318ti
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
ur intake looks very different to my ti do u have a dasc

ipswich318ti
03-25-2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/cid_DSC00470.jpg

ipswich318ti
03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
there u go guys all in the car now

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/cid_DSC00480.jpg

M3_KILL3R
04-04-2007, 06:02 AM
there u go guys all in the car now

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/500/medium/cid_DSC00480.jpg

thats a great idea! what im going to do in the next week is fogg the airbox bring a hose to the bumper and then useing a plastic trash can (i know sounds stupid) and make a heat shield out of that! the trash can will cost nothing to buy and you can cut it up the way you want and add some aluminum sheathing just like you did in the inside and have the hose feed through there to have even colder air go into the intake :biggrin: ill tell u guys if it makes any difference
first ill run without the heat shield and then with to see if theres any difference

ipswich318ti
04-04-2007, 09:12 AM
thats what i was going to do the first time lol but with a metal one
but i had such trouble trying to find a metal one i decided to make this
but u have a good idea there mate

HuGo
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Why not just run the intake to the floor right behind the foglights? No heat there. Just make sure you have a splash guard and dont run over puddles :rolleyes:

1996 328ti
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
ill tell u guys if it makes any difference
first ill run without the heat shield and then with to see if theres any differenceI don't know about the M42/M44 but there is a difference with my CAI on the M52.
Last time at the track my speed at the end of the street was 5-10 mph faster with the same exit speed of the previous turn. It was probably in the 40s.

M3_KILL3R
04-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Why not just run the intake to the floor right behind the foglights? No heat there. Just make sure you have a splash guard and dont run over puddles :rolleyes:

i dont really trust that idea all too much but im debating over if i should run a tube to the front grill or just use a short ram....both im going to have the heatsheild because the most heat is from the radiator which is ironically right next to the intake. No matter what the heat shield is going in due to the heat from the side...do u guys think i should just run a pipe to the grill or floor or should i just go with the heatshield short ram much like ipswich318ti??

ipswich318ti
04-06-2007, 06:08 PM
its too wet in the uk to do that

L84THSKY
04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Here is a picture of the shield

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9096/shield1rb5.jpg

Here is where it goes. It fits on top of the filter, you can't see anything but the upper lip of the filter, and the hose clamp when installed.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/426/filterey4.jpg

With my depos, I couldn't get the shield to fit and get the filter to not hit the rear of the headlight assembly, so I removed the shield.

it is a possibility....how does it attach to the pipe....the carbonio heat shield is just a little triangle piece that goes right on top of where the filter sits right?

do you have any pics of it on/off the car?

ive seen the one in your gallery but i cant really tell how it attaches to the car around it.

im not sure how benefitial the actual heatshield is but i am a bit curious as to how it hooks up/attaches to the car around the pipe. if you got pics id like to check em out

Will'sBimmer
04-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I have mine the same way as L84THSKY without the heatshield and it works fine and I havent had any troubles with the rain splashing on the filter and causing promblems. It rained pretty hard here a few days ago.