PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Joe Steering

rendoll911
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
My suspension has never been that tight seeing that its 120k miles old and stock base suspension. Recently my steering wheel has been wandering like crazy, especially at slow speeds. If i dont hold onto the steering wheel tightly when slowing down the wheel could jerk to either direction pretty severely. I've tried to get my answer from the search but i cant find a definite answer. The Air pressure is right and there isnt any abnormal wear from what i can tell. Plus i dont know where to look to tell you if bushing, ect are worn out because i dont know where to look and how to tell if they are worn or not! Also I havent had an alignment recently. Please help!

windnsea00
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Your ball joints and bushings if never replaced are way shot by now, not to mention your shocks. Your steering rack should still be ok @ 120k miles but your tie rods may need replacement (along with alignment). Sounds like it's time for a suspension overhaul.

mohaughn
03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
If the steering wheel is getting pulled away from you when you are slowing down, also known as braking, maybe you have a problem with your brakes.

Bottom line is if you don't know how to tell if something needs to be replaced, or even where it is on the car, it is time to take your car to a mechanic.

CirrusSR22
03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
What tires are you running? The steering pull at slow speeds sounds like tramlining (sp?). I get the exact same thing with my 225 summer performance tires, but it's completely gone on my 195 winter tires. It seems to be much more pronounced when stopping at very busy intersections, where the pavement has become slightly "rutted" from the weight of traffic.

Go to a big, open, flat parking lot and see it it does the same thing.

L84THSKY
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I get terrible Tramlining on the Long Island Expressway, when I have my summer 235's on. I have to hold on tight to my steering wheel, or it pulls like crazy. On flat roads, it's all good.

What tires are you running? The steering pull at slow speeds sounds like tramlining (sp?). I get the exact same thing with my 225 summer performance tires, but it's completely gone on my 195 winter tires. It seems to be much more pronounced when stopping at very busy intersections, where the pavement has become slightly "rutted" from the weight of traffic.

Go to a big, open, flat parking lot and see it it does the same thing.

campaiar
03-23-2007, 09:09 PM
If you have any sort of directional tread tires (meaning the tire is designed to rotate in only one direction), you can definitely suffer Tramlining. My car has a mind of its own on some of the highways in town.

Look for a rotational arrow on your sidewall to determine if they are directional tires.

If your tires are close to worn out, I'd wait and try those first since you have to replace them anyway.

aceyx
03-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Bottom line is if you don't know how to tell if something needs to be replaced, or even where it is on the car, it is time to take your car to a mechanic.
Excellent advice.

rendoll911
03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
im running KUMHO ecsta ASX's with 7.5 width i think, the whole tramlining at stop lights sounds really familiar. But as someone stated earlier i think it is time to do a suspension overhaul once i come up with some funds. On a priority list which components do you think should be replaced 1st? Bushings and ball joints, or shocks and struts, or should i just save to do it all at once? Also the two tubes beneath the power steering reservoir are leaking. I replaced the clamps and the reservoir which helped a little but fluid still drips once in a while, is this something i should be worried about?

CirrusSR22
03-26-2007, 12:22 AM
The power steering leaks are very common on the E36. Those specific lines aren't under pressure, so as long as you have enough fluid, it should be safe to drive around. I'd plan on replacing them eventually though. Mine are leaking and I plan on replacing the hoses and resevior (internal filter) this summer.

If I were you, and could only do one of those other projects at a time, I think I'd do the control arms (ball joints & bushings) first.