PDA

View Full Version : Questions before buying camber plates

DeadpaN
03-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Well it seems my car's previous owner had a bit of fun with it, which she managed to keep from showing up on carfax. The repaint job hides all evidence of a crash so the the body work was topnotch-still looks factory, but the left strut tower's camber is off by -.5*
And as I look at it, I'm running the H&R Sports anyway.....so Camber KIt time!

I've looked all around and it seems my 2 choices are KMAC (sold under many other labels-bavauto-BMP)
And Rogue Eng.....I think.....

Who's familar with this stuff/what are you using, etc.?

Thanks for the input!

pdxmotorhead
03-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I like the type that virtually replace the top of the strut tower, lets face it, these are not collectible show cars, and the bolt in units are a little harder to keep aligned. Basically a full race cabmer plate replaced about a 8" diameter (4" radius of the original location of the strut bearing.)

This is the strongest type, requires a decent body/fab guy to install.

The benefits are, strong, accurate easy to get repeatable adjustments, you adjust to street alignment and mark the plates with a scribe, set your auto cross alignment and scribe again, coat with a thin shot of clear lacquer and you can switch from track to street in 5 minutes... You can also have attachment points strategically welded on top allow for a cross brace tobe bolted to teh camber plate bases and then the chassis builder can bend you a custom brace to miss any engine bay accessories.

Disadvantages, theres no going back this is a permanent deal, resale, it will vary depending on the buyer, not everybody appreciates engineering a suspension.

The rogue kit looks nice, Umatiza sells them as well I think?

Good luck
Dave

bullmand
03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
I've got a Ground Control kit on my E30. It's a beefy piece of hardware, but it's been a little finicky getting it set up correctly. The bearing are very tight and I've had some steering issues related to that.

Dan I
03-26-2007, 12:40 AM
I just installed GC Coilovers with their E36 race camber plates. VERY nice product! Better than the kit for the E46 M3.