PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on performance

jgrimm
03-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Hey everyone, Im new to this web site and ive just started to finish the exterior of my ti and am about to embark on ways to get the tires spinning faster. Anyways, Im looking mainly at getting an exhaust that dose not output a tremendous amount of sound. Instead, Im looking for one that reaks of performance and quality. I don't want any old tin can that honda civic owners will throw on the cars. Also, I was told that there isnt much I can do to increase the power output of my engine (15 HP at max), so is it worth the extra money to buy an exhaust aswell as an air intake system and performance chip?
Thanks guys/gals.

Grimm

studyolic
03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
If it's performance you want, check out a DASC.

:wink:

jgrimm
03-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Well I dont really live in the Atlanta area and I was not planning on spending 30% of my car's worth on a super...Any other suggestions. Perhaps from someone in Canada (or suggestions of companies that are located in Canada). Thanks again.

Grimm

fourbysix
03-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm Canadian (Victoria, BC)..and trust me, you don't need to live in Atlanta to get your hands on a DASC. I know 3-4 places I can pick one up in Victoria, and Victoria isn't exactly a big town.

zboot
03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the major issue is price. A dasc is around $3k USD. My car cost barely twice that. I couldn't justify sinking that much money into the car (especially if it wouldn't add the same amount to the resale) with my current finances. It would be awesome thoughh. . .

jgrimm
04-14-2007, 08:38 AM
I was told that it is not a great idea to super an engine that has more then 100000 kms on it (mine's at 124k). Is that true. Anybody ever experienced any major problems after an upgrade like this?

Plus I think Ive found out a great exhaust to get from a different thread. I think Im going for a Remus, I herd a clip of one in action and it sounds just like I like. Not a lot of back pressure and a low/tuned sound.

pdxmotorhead
04-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Bottom line,,,,
You can't get any significant street drive-able horsepower for less than the cost of the DASC. And the DASC is worth just about what you paid for it used as long as its only a couple years.

Motor swap > $4000 US give or take depending on what motor...
Engine work > about $2500 to get any power and it will be peaky and not fun for daily driving.
DASC > about $3300 installed. Keep all the takeoff parts in a box and sell off the blower when you move out of the TI, put all the stock bits back on.

Fogged air box, - cheap and it works. Other CAI have yet to give it a run other than for sound.

Headers - Don't waste the money.

HIgh flow cat - Marginal increase in power over a new BMW unit but likely cheaper :)

Cat back - Small power bump, Lot o money for a little power.

remove resonator - any good muffler shop, small noise bump maybe a tick of power.

Clean quality air filter - MPG and small power increase K&N is up to you the field is split on their effectiveness.

Run at least 89 octane fuel, I can't measure the power difference between 89 and 92 in the US... I run 87 in very cold weather.

Almost all the chips require 92+ octane to run correctly.

Pick a high performance tire thats not too wide and youll get better acceleration and mileage.

Lots of folks here have run DASC on 100K+ engines without ill effect.

DO lots of forum searches and youll learn who not to listen to... ;) It might be me but maybe not.... :cool:

jgrimm
04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Wow thanks so much for the info. If I were by chance to get a DASC what other modifications would I have to do to keep my engine running smoothly. Im planning on keeping my car for a while so I dont want any major problems to arise unexpectedly.

DustenT
04-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow thanks so much for the info. If I were by chance to get a DASC what other modifications would I have to do to keep my engine running smoothly. Im planning on keeping my car for a while so I dont want any major problems to arise unexpectedly.

Take a look at this: http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11797

Post your questions after you read through that, it has almost every questions and answer you could ever want about the DASC.

Enjoy!

drrty byl
04-20-2007, 04:50 PM
DASC > about $3300 installed. Keep all the takeoff parts in a box and sell off the blower when you move out of the TI, put all the stock bits back on.

This forum could also provide a good market for finding a buyer for your used DASC if you eventually decide to move onto a different car, provided the kit isn't trashed..

Mallard
04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
change your lamda probes and get yourself a new cam position sensor, and a new flywheel position sensor

these WILL make you car run better. and responsiveness will be as brand new

fogged or ram-air induction :D yes!! do it

remap or chip, can also add a few hp for a couple of hundred dollars

free´er flowing exhaust will also help with response and gain a few hp

these are all "layman" mods, and should really be step 1 for entry level tuning

Will'sBimmer
04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
This is just my thought on performance for the Ti. I wouldnt get a DASC because it is just worth to much. Instead of the 3k going towards the DASC I have someone who will swap engine, trans, diff, and all for 3k. So my thought is just save your money to do a M3 swap and you wont have to worry about performance for awhile.