PDA

View Full Version : anyone weld their open diff?

REDIS
03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
I have been thinking about getting a diff for a while and just seeing if anyone has just welded their spider gears.

campaiar
03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
If your willing to spend a ton on tires.... Welding the spider gears would wear your tires out very quickly in turns since the inside tire would spin the same as the outside tire.

Unless your drag racing (and I hope not) I wouldn't do it.

PeteN95
03-30-2007, 07:12 PM
To say nothing of the tire squealing sound, my buddy had a spool in his Jeep for a while, not good for daily driver.

REDIS
03-31-2007, 07:31 PM
If your willing to spend a ton on tires.... Welding the spider gears would wear your tires out very quickly in turns since the inside tire would spin the same as the outside tire.

Unless your drag racing (and I hope not) I wouldn't do it.

I don't mind burning some rubber:biggrin: I just want something that I can get sideways with. And I love drag racing! I'm trying to do this before my track date on april 15.

just wondering if anyone has theres welded and what they think.

BimmerBum
04-28-2007, 06:09 AM
I have been thinking about getting a diff for a while and just seeing if anyone has just welded their spider gears.

2 things...

Weld it in more than one spot.

If you ever need to push the car and there is a turn involved you will hate your life.

tastade
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't mind burning some rubber:biggrin: I just want something that I can get sideways with. And I love drag racing! I'm trying to do this before my track date on april 15.

just wondering if anyone has theres welded and what they think.

If you weld the differential you will make it for off road use only, meaning absolutely no street driving, as you will be unable to turn safely. By drag racing, he meant the car is only used at the drag strip, nothing else. 4x4 off roaders do it for better traction while boulder crawling, with 1 wheel in the air the other still has full traction, and a limited slip wouldn't cut it in this case. These aren't street vehicles either, and most use a locking differential that can be locked/unlocked electronically.

pdxmotorhead
05-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Cars will turn just fine spooled in the rear BUT!!!!
They will over-steer badly in the wet. It will also
wear your CV joints a little more.
You will need to have a fairly neutral rear toe, and a little more front
to make it turn in .....
It also helps to add a little rear camber to reduce inside wheel traction.

Both the race rentals I take care of with rear wheel drive
have the rear locked/spooled. One is a S13/1985 200SX which has
almost identical suspension to the TI...

Its not quite the same as locking the rear of a Jeep,
(I have one with air locking diffs.) Because of the
lower leverage on the axles due to the little bitty
tires (Relative to the 35" ones on my jeep. :biggrin: )

Best option is to tig the spider gears together but NOT the carrier.
That way if you change your mind you can just replace the spiders.
(Which can be stolen out of another diff cheaply.... :)

Also you need to get used to always moving forward then
turning at low speeds so the wheel in the rear can scrub.

Turn exit speeds go up because the inside wheel is not going to spin.
Watch your throttle control at the apex or youll drift out and loop it...

Dave

jonchino
05-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Its called a poor mans posi. Some drags strips dont allow them.

REDIS
05-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Its called a poor mans posi. Some drags strips dont allow them.

what do they do..take your diff apart at inspection? where I am tracks don't go that far in depth. "alright here, looks like your not leaking any fluids, um, just go line up and have a good day.

jonchino
05-06-2007, 03:12 AM
what do they do..take your diff apart at inspection? where I am tracks don't go that far in depth. "alright here, looks like your not leaking any fluids, um, just go line up and have a good day.

well, just giving info. Like I said some tracks have rules and most of the rules are for the drivers safety! welding your diff is not a smart move. There are safer ways, like a locker.

And no they arent going to take your diff apart, but when the thing shatters because your welds suck or have no clue.

People weld the diff beacause it is cheap and easy. "you get what you pay for!"