albi901
04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Finally got round to 'foggin' my airbox :cool:

Cold air feed pipe from 'Pipercross'

DIY by me :biggrin:

Here's some piccies:
http://www.rdstec.com/miscimages/bmw/fog1.jpg
http://www.rdstec.com/miscimages/bmw/fog2.jpg

Well pleased with the results...ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Improved pick-up & response :biggrin:

M3_KILL3R
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
did you have to move the horn out of the way to feed the tube??

albi901
04-01-2007, 08:40 PM
did you have to move the horn out of the way to feed the tube??

yeah had to move the horn.......you can see its new position to the ight of the airbox, right next to the alarm!

use original mounting bracket but just secure it off the airbox mounts :cool:

M3_KILL3R
04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
ahh nice but i got to find a place now for the car alarm and the horn =/ had to move the alarm to install the depos

Viper3812
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Great job!
I put my alarm right above the passenger fog light on the bumper support.

M3_KILL3R
04-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Great job!
I put my alarm right above the passenger fog light on the bumper support.

but does the wire reach all the way down there??

Viper3812
04-02-2007, 05:34 AM
but does the wire reach all the way down there??
Yep. Look for the hole down there and you will know how to mount it.

M3_KILL3R
04-02-2007, 05:58 AM
kooo thanks a lot viper

Viper3812
04-02-2007, 06:46 AM
kooo thanks a lot viper
No prob.

marko
04-02-2007, 02:08 PM
feel any diference in performance??

Finally got round to 'foggin' my airbox :cool:

Cold air feed pipe from 'Pipercross'

DIY by me :biggrin:

Here's some piccies:
http://www.rdstec.com/miscimages/bmw/fog1.jpg
http://www.rdstec.com/miscimages/bmw/fog2.jpg

Well pleased with the results...ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Improved pick-up & response :biggrin:

albi901
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
feel any diference in performance??

yeah its def quicker, picks up quicker at lower revs and also seem quicker in the higher rev range.......well happy with this mod :cool:

oakley
04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
where did u get the cold air feed pipe from?

ipswich318ti
04-03-2007, 01:11 AM
its a pipercross one

Variance
04-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Did you also remove the resonator on the side of the airbox? Also, how does it sound comapred to stock? I've been getting tired of the sewing-machine intake noise, and have been contemplating doing this.

M3_KILL3R
04-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Did you also remove the resonator on the side of the airbox? Also, how does it sound comapred to stock? I've been getting tired of the sewing-machine intake noise, and have been contemplating doing this.

dont think you have to move that. all the pipe does it take the place of the original pipe to the grill. You have to move the horn because it is located under the tube and in order to feed to new tube to the lower bumper you need to remove or relocated the horn

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14818
take a look there we got pretty in dept lol

albi901
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
where did u get the cold air feed pipe from?

From here:
Pipercross (http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/accessories.asp)

also seen some on ebay :rolleyes:

i got the 75mm version, dont go any bigger than this!

not even sure what the resonator is :biggrin:

if its inside the airbox then its gone, the original inlet from behind the driver side headlight is still connected :smile:

studyolic
04-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Why is it called "fogging" and what does it do?

We have quite a lot of fog here, actually. . . . .:biggrin:

DustenT
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Why is it called "fogging" and what does it do?

We have quite a lot of fog here, actually. . . . .:biggrin:

The inventors last name was FOGG.

studyolic
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
OK, thanks for that. From this thread I get the idea that the air intake is re-routed and possibly shortened. What exactly is the aim?
Thanks.

Variance
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
albi, the resonator is #4 in this pic:
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/v/x/30.png

oakley
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
studyolic......search for fogin the search box above and read all the results..basically just widens ya air intake as the stock one restricts ur engine at higher revs..so more air = more power..especially in the higher rev range...u'll find step by step instructions in the write ups...hope that helps!! :)

albi901
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
albi, the resonator is #4 in this pic:
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/v/x/30.png

Should I remove the resonator?

What does it do..........resonate :rolleyes:

studyolic
04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Oakley,
thanks for that!

:biggrin:

96cali
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
The other point of this mod is to keep the stock airbox and stock paper filter which has superior debris/water blocking ability over KN cone filters. Also keeps a stock look. The intake before the airbox is restrictive, not after.

oakley
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
albi....sorry to be a pain in the a$$ but as the weathers getting better wanna do this over the next few days and wanna make sure once i start i have everything i need to finish the job...Did u take a list of everything u used?? Also what are the metal bolts for next to the pipe? (guessing to secure it in place but how?!) Cheers mate any advice appreciated! Also did u keep the orig pipe in place and add the 2nd one and if so did u use a circular drill cutting piece or just a dremmel?
Cheers mate!! :)

albi901
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
albi....sorry to be a pain in the a$$ but as the weathers getting better wanna do this over the next few days and wanna make sure once i start i have everything i need to finish the job...Did u take a list of everything u used?? Also what are the metal bolts for next to the pipe? (guessing to secure it in place but how?!) Cheers mate any advice appreciated! Also did u keep the orig pipe in place and add the 2nd one and if so did u use a circular drill cutting piece or just a dremmel?
Cheers mate!! :)

Sorry 4 the late reply Oakley, was away over easter and have only just seen this :smile:

Firstly have you bought the pipercross cold air feed?

That might be a good start!

Right you'll need:
• All the normal tools, screw drivers, socket sets, spanners, pliers etc
• A decent drill + selection of drill bits
• 85mm hole saw (that's what i used) ±5mm would also be fine i'd say but 85mm seemed to suit cold air feed!
• A good selection of stainless steel fixings, all mine were M6 hex bolts, with fibre washers, nyloc nuts etc. I also used some larger rubber washers to re-mount the air box.
• NO HANGOVER (i did mine with a raving hangover, not recommended)

Dont really want to write an in depth tut but here's a brief run down:
• remove headlight
• remove air box
• remove horn
• remove all the mesh and anything loose from inside of airbox
• drill 85mm hole in similiar position to mine, i would recommend trying to be as far right of the airbox as possible as my tube crashes into the radiator tubes and had to mod air box mounting configuration!
• drill 4 holes in metal cold air trumpet, equispaced around outside, this will be used to fit trumpet to air box
• remove some of the internal and external ribbing around 85mm hole
• using trumpet as a guide drill mounting holes in air box, mine were 6.5mm
• fit trumpet to air box using fixings
• re-fit airbox connecting original pipe
• secure horn mounting bracket to air box mounting lugs
• feed cold air tube down where horn used to be and position behind fog light, mine just dangled down there really not much carefull positioning really!
• you may need to shorten tubing
• re-fit headlight

Hope that helps :biggrin:

oakley
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Cheers mate a great help...just gotta try and work out where i can find the metal trumpet thingy to fix the pipe to the airbox..the existing trumpet thats inside the airbox from the old pipe...did u have to cut that down or anything? Looks like it might get in the way of the entrance for the new pipe?

albi901
04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
no old pipe aint in the way at all :smile:

get the pipercross cold air feed, think there's a link earlier in the thread!

there are some on ebay, mine's the 75mm jobby!

oh here you go:
Pipercross (http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/accessories.asp)

wont have chance this wkend as i'm in blackpool on the p***, but i'll take a piccy inside the airbox for you so you can see the configuration :wink:

oakley
04-14-2007, 11:27 AM
cool cheers mate..Yeah gunna get the peipercross air feed...just gotta work out how it joins to the actual airbox itself..I see uv got some kinda metal thingy?????? that the fits to the airbox from the inside and the pipe fixes to that....( is that ust the end that comes with the pipercross air feed?)

oakley
04-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Well i am too now fogged!! Roar!! Not as loud as i was have liked but after the engine warms up she just keeps pullin..Awesome!! Well worth the few hours work...Needs some tweeking yet but almost done..Couldn't move either of the horns as the bolts just would not undo! So just had to bend them out the way....