PDA

View Full Version : Leak Down Test

L84THSKY
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I've already explained the results of a Leak Down Test performed by a BMW dealership. I'm gonna do my own test soon, I just won a tester on Ebay. Here are a few questions;

1. Is there a marker on any of the pulleys denoting TDC? If not, how do I easily find TDC?
2. If I were on TDC of Cylinder #1, what other cylinder is also on TDC?
3. This test is performed with the piston TDC, and all valves closed. Can someone explain how the Piston is TDC and both the intake and exhaust valves are both closed? Seems the exhaust would be closed, and the intake open. But then I wouldn't have a sealed chamber.

Here is the tester I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230110470943&rd=1,1

316i compact
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
the moment all valves are closed is when spark plag ignites, and the "explosion" is happening.

L84THSKY
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I knew that was true. What I forgot to realize was that the air is sucked in, then the intake valves close, then the gas is injected and the spark ingnites.

Any idea how to set TDC for my test?

the moment all valves are closed is when spark plag ignites, and the "explosion" is happening.

DustenT
04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
I knew that was true. What I forgot to realize was that the air is sucked in, then the intake valves close, then the gas is injected and the spark ingnites.

Any idea how to set TDC for my test?

Take a long screw driver and stick in down the spark plug hole. Remove all your spark plugs. With a large breaker bar turn the crank pulley until the screw driver is pushed up as high as it will go. It will peak and then fall. Stop it at the peak.

campaiar
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
How do you know your at TDC or one full crank rotation away with a screw driver?

You could be finding the peak after the exhaust cycle and before the intake cycle instead of the peak before the power stoke. Wouldn't you need to take the valve cover off to determine where you are in the cycle?

For those that are completely lost, www.howstuffworks.com has a great animated diagram on the internal combustion engine. Your BMW has a four-stroke engine.

DustenT
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
How do you know your at TDC or one full crank rotation away with a screw driver?

You could be finding the peak after the exhaust cycle and before the intake cycle instead of the peak before the power stoke. Wouldn't you need to take the valve cover off to determine where you are in the cycle?

For those that are completely lost, www.howstuffworks.com has a great animated diagram on the internal combustion engine. Your BMW has a four-stroke engine.

Trial and error. If you get a super high reading, turn the crank one more cycle. There should be a dramatic difference between "all valves closed" and "exhaust valves open".

EDIT: There is also a whistle on the market that tells you when you are on the correct stroke.

campaiar
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I miss working on cars with distributors.. No guess work involved.

L84THSKY
04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
There is no marking on a pulley or anywhere that tells you TDC?

Trial and error. If you get a super high reading, turn the crank one more cycle. There should be a dramatic difference between "all valves closed" and "exhaust valves open".

EDIT: There is also a whistle on the market that tells you when you are on the correct stroke.

DustenT
04-05-2007, 03:45 AM
There is no marking on a pulley or anywhere that tells you TDC?

Might be. The screw driver method is pretty simple though.

mohaughn
04-05-2007, 05:08 AM
You seem to like tools. This should do it for you.

http://www.atoolcrib.com/catalog/product_info.php?name=Top%20Dead%20Center%20Indicator&products_id=14817

L84THSKY
04-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Great, I'm gonna get one.:smile:

You seem to like tools. This should do it for you.

http://www.atoolcrib.com/catalog/product_info.php?name=Top%20Dead%20Center%20Indicator&products_id=14817

DustenT
04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Let us know how it goes. I'd like to do a leakdown test on both the 318ti and the m3, just for giggles. Maybe I can borrow your tool when you're done, in trade for a case of tasty Wisconsin brew?

L84THSKY
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I gotta go my brother's place and borrow his compressor. Not sure what compression level I will pump into the cylinder for best results. I can lend you the tools when I am done.

After my initial measurements, I'm gonna put some seafoam in the intake, and recheck my results.

Let us know how it goes. I'd like to do a leakdown test on both the 318ti and the m3, just for giggles. Maybe I can borrow your tool when you're done, in trade for a case of tasty Wisconsin brew?

DustenT
04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I gotta go my brother's place and borrow his compressor. Not sure what compression level I will pump into the cylinder for best results. I can lend you the tools when I am done.

After my initial measurements, I'm gonna put some seafoam in the intake, and recheck my results.

I'd recommend doing an oil change prior to doing a leak down test too.

aceyx
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Might be a better place to ask:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/category.jspa?categoryName=bmw

I can't imagine the germans forgetting something in the timing gears to mark TDC, but it's entirely possible.