PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light on cold weather and tickling noise on right side

318ti_IL
04-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi guys how you doing? I have some problems. When the outside temperature is below 30 my car shakes a lot and sometimes the check engine lights come on. People at Autozone did a free test and they read misfire on cylinder 1,2,3,4.
I changed the air & gas filters, spark plugs, spark plug wires but no ignition coil. Do you think that is causing that ?

Also I noticed some ticking from the right side but I'm not sure exactly where, so I decided to provide some pictures hoping someone will explain to me what are the parts marked with numbers (inside red squares, #1 is metal thing on air hose, #2 black circled part like a bottle with plastic flat cover under that hose) 1 and 2. I think that that ticking comes from part marked as number 2. What are those parts?

Thanks for any reply.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2120/94329313of7.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1632/61861714tj6.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6990/79450133ge7.jpg

318ti_IL
04-06-2007, 02:21 AM
I just notice that i did put Ckeck instead of check engine in title.
Sorry for that mistake ;(

1996 328ti
04-06-2007, 02:23 AM
I just notice that i did put Ckeck instead of check engine in title.
Sorry for that mistake ;(
Fixed. Also fixed your other typos. ;)

I think #2 is the secondary air pump.
They will make make a noise when you start the car.

1996 328ti
04-06-2007, 02:28 AM
I think #2 is the secondary air pump. They will make make a noise when you start the car.

scabzzzz
04-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Hmmm.. What year is this? Looks like a 94-95?

My first thought number 2 is your charcoal cannister. Which would make sense since you should have a fuel tank ventilation switch hooking into it and if its gone bad it makes a really tick tick clicking sound. But the year doesnt match up. I guess it is a secondary air pump. But that wouldnt cause cylinder misfire i wouldn't think. Check to make sure you dont have any cracks or vacuum leaks around your throttle body. Take a tube and put it to your ear, start the car, and move the other end of the tube around the engine bay till you hear an extreme sucking sound. Also, not sure what that metal piece is in number 1, would help if I knew the year. Check for vacuum leaks first. If you dont have the intake boot on tight, you'll definetely throw codes for all cylinders.

318ti_IL
04-06-2007, 05:21 AM
It's 97 active, and that tickling is not there always, mostly when is outside temperature bellow 32-30. I did have check engine light on already, but after couple days light went off by itself, and now after 40-50 days is back again. What really bother me is that car shake a lot on cold weather, but since i did change everything i have no choice but change ignition coil too.. (shaking causing check engine light definitely, but what causing shaking? This ignition coil maybe since everything else is new? )

For "any cracks or vacuum leaks around your throttle body", is that where black hose connecting to metal thing? I'm asking this because i have no idea what's throttle body. One more time guys thanks for reply.

bullmand
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Number 1 is the throttle body for the traction control. When the rear wheels are spinning and the ABS can't slow them down enough, this little guy closes off to cut power.

Number 2 is the secondary air pump. This is emissions stuff. My understanding of what it does is not complete, but I know it adds air into the exhaust stream. I think this helps clean up the exhaust gases and helps the cat get going when the car's cold.

Since this problem is temperature related, it could be a lot of things. When it's cold various parts in the vacuum system could have leaks that aren't noticeable when it's warmer. I would carefully check all the rubber boots between the airbox and the engine, and all the vacuum lines that you can reach. Any of them that have noticeable cracking should be replaced. It's also been suggested in the past that this particular problem could be related to the fuel injector shrouds. It's a little more involved to check those, so I'd start with the other things.

318ti_IL
04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I check again and looks like tickling coming from the throttle body for the traction control (number #1). What is supposed to be done to fix that? Change whole part or?

I have one more question. What is number 3 ? Is it for steering oil or engine oil filter?

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3196/21972155vj5.jpg

318ti_IL
04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I just got back from the shop.

They had errors:

62 misfire
misfire cylinder 2
misfire cylinder 3

One shop think it's ignition coil, another one says maybe is fuel injector.
Since i believe in this forum i wanna know what do you guys think?

318ti_IL
04-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Anyone?

CirrusSR22
04-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Number #3 is your engine oil filter.

How loud is the ticking from your traction control throttle body, and how fast is the ticking? Fast/Slow, consistant/random? Keep in mind the idle air control valve is right next to the traction throttle body, and that thing ticks and clicks like crazy. It even runs for a few seconds after you shut the engine off. Could that be it?

I think the traction throttle body should be doing nothing 99.9% of the time. So if it's just idling there, it shouldn't be making any noise. You could try to unplug the electrical connection to it and see if that affects it.

Does your traction control work?

318ti_IL
04-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Tickling is pretty fast and does not tickle always and i haven't notice this until last 3 weeks. I didn't hear that when i turn car off, and like i said it's not there always even when car is running. My traction does work but it happen two times when i start my car i have traction control light on. Both times i tried to turn of the car and start again and light went off. Also when i try to put my little finger (pinky) to engine and thumb to my ear (that way hand transferring vibrations and sounds) to listen noise, strongest noise coming from part number 1.

With that tickling problem is that car shake a lot when is very cold temp. outside and i have check engine with those misfire code errors. Like i said one of the shop tell me is fuel injector another one did tell me that ignition coil need to be replaced. What sounds more reasonable?

This thing making me crazy :mad:

annaur
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi 318 it IL I have the same problem happen yesterday in the morning was 11 degrees and took me 5 times to try to get the car started, them in the afternoon when driving back from work check engine light came on and tickling noise on the engine. I would like to know if you were able to fix your problem I believe I have the same please let me know thank you all :confused:

annaur
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
thank you aceyx this is what i did so faar
! After I change few things I got the results:

I have not heard the trickling noise anymore replace coolant and check oil I complete the oil for now to test so far no noise.

The shaking occur when car is cold only as I have noticed I think the problem that may have trigger the check engine was somehow the coolant was low and trigger that I'm hoping for it .

The type of fuel is the 93 octane I had never used a different one.
Now my question is if I get this tool R5/FCX3-16, Fault Code BMW Reset Tool for my 98 318 TI would it fix the check engine light ? I found at this web site http://www.immersion.com/reset tool.htm#2 i have check on the car i need that model for the connector i saw that is compatible as they say.

I rly appreciate your help thank you