PDA

View Full Version : Installing M coupe Sway mounts(lower)

Panzer_M
04-15-2007, 12:06 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/Panzer_M/DSCF0493.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/Panzer_M/DSCF0495.jpg

M Coupe vs Ti mounts lower. As you can see the M is wider, thicker and bigger than the stock Ti mount...size is good, but in tight areas it can also be a hinderance.but it's working with just a few minor changes.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/Panzer_M/DSCF0498.jpg

installed on Ti Arm. Well test fitted on the arm in this pic.

To install

Rasp out the TA hole with a 3/8" rasp(Need to make sure that's the one i used)

you also need a OE Spacer-washer to snug fit the OE Sway link(but should clear the bigger Black Urethane Links no problem)

Installing is a bit of a bugger with the brakeline there, you need to raise the mount up to get the 16mm nut under the arm and tighten it. Working on a easier way to do it than the way I came up with.

L84THSKY
04-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I just bought the adjustable/greasable end links. Will they fit in the m-coupe bracket? If so, all I need a is an adjustable rear sway bar.

Panzer_M
04-15-2007, 02:28 AM
how much/where did you get the links?

Panzer_M
04-15-2007, 02:34 AM
btw, running the Club Sport bar temp..til I get some powerflex bushings and prob a M coupe bar and new links.(Either OEs or the blacks depending on the flo' of dough for car mods at the time of purchase)

L84THSKY
04-15-2007, 05:32 AM
I bought them from UUC for $100.00.

how much/where did you get the links?

Panzer_M
04-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Def, post a review when you get them.

L84THSKY
04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I already have them. They look just like the picture. I can't use them till I find an adjustable rear sway bar.

L84THSKY
04-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Is this the correct rear bar for our cars? I'm referring to the M-coupe one. Why do they list both an M-coupe and a Roadster rear bar, what's the difference?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=71754

I forget, how much thicker is that bar than the M-tech rear bar?

Panzer_M
04-18-2007, 04:15 AM
3mm.... 16 vs 19

Panzer_M
04-18-2007, 04:16 AM
not sure if there is a differance between the Z3M bars.

L84THSKY
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Just ordered the H & R m-coupe rear sway bar. From what I read, I also need part # 3 & 6 in the picture, to use the thicker bushings and my new adjustable end links.

not sure if there is a differance between the Z3M bars.

turbof128
04-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Subscribing to this thread. Keep us updated on how the install goes.

Panzer_M
04-18-2007, 05:00 PM
here is my list of what I used.

# 7, # 8, cause the bolt is longer than the Ti's(and might as well get a new nut)

#6 M Coupe/Z3M Lower Sway Bracket.

# 4, which is a 16mm nut vs the Ti's 13mm nut(Ti's will not work with the Z3M Bracket)

The Upper 4 is still the OE Ti since you use the 318ti's stud attached to the frame, so it's still a 13mm nut..but I replaced it as well.

I also picked up new #3(M Coupe Brackets, Upper), but they are still in bags since I am still using a 16mm rear sway bar.

L84THSKY
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Just ordered all the misc parts from Circle BMW

# 7, # 8, cause the bolt is longer than the Ti's(and might as well get a new nut)

# 4, which is a 16mm nut vs the Ti's 13mm nut(Ti's will not work with the Z3M Bracket)

The Upper 4 is still the OE Ti since you use the 318ti's stud attached to the frame, so it's still a 13mm nut..but I replaced it as well.

I also picked up new #3(M Coupe Brackets, Upper), but they are still in bags since I am still using a 16mm rear sway bar.

squirrel
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
The M coupe bar is 19mm vs the M roadster bar which is 18mm. I have the coupe bar in my ti and it made a noticeable difference in the handling of the car. A relatively cheap and must have upgrade for anyone upgrading a ti's suspension.

All I changed were the brackets, bushings and bar. All stock M coupe pieces. You could go with urethane but I don't feel it could be a huge improvement.

L84THSKY
04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
The only reason I was upgrading from my m-tech rear bar, to the H & R M-coupe bar was the end links. Mine are sqeaking and rubbing the halfshafts. I bought the newer style adjustable and greasable end links, but they require the adjustable sway bar, can't use any stock bar.

The M coupe bar is 19mm vs the M roadster bar which is 18mm. I have the coupe bar in my ti and it made a noticeable difference in the handling of the car. A relatively cheap and must have upgrade for anyone upgrading a ti's suspension.

All I changed were the brackets, bushings and bar. All stock M coupe pieces. You could go with urethane but I don't feel it could be a huge improvement.

L84THSKY
04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
H & R sway bar arrived. I was gonna post a pic, but I can't find my adjustable end links. When I do, I'll post a picture of the links, sway bar, bushings all mounted together.

Subscribing to this thread. Keep us updated on how the install goes.

andy
04-28-2007, 12:49 AM
You only need one adjustable end-link, right? The sway bar pivots and can be adjusted from just one side. Or does the clearance make two necessary?

Thanks!

L84THSKY
04-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I have no idea why you would buy only one. They sell them as a set. I bought a set. Not sure if clearance is the main issue, or maybe just setting them at the correct angle.

You only need one adjustable end-link, right? The sway bar pivots and can be adjusted from just one side. Or does the clearance make two necessary?

Thanks!

mohaughn
04-28-2007, 04:15 PM
I have no idea why you would buy only one. They sell them as a set. I bought a set. Not sure if clearance is the main issue, or maybe just setting them at the correct angle.

If you are running a front M3 style sway bar and you use the OEM adjustable end links you only need one. Probably asking if the same type of setup is possible on the rear.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=31351134582A

I'm guessing that you would still need two adjustable end links because the non-adjustable one may not be the right length. But as the front suspension on a Ti, with M3 compliant struts is basically identical to an M3 you could use the M3 non-adjustable end link on one side and the adjustable one on the other.

Panzer_M
04-28-2007, 10:39 PM
well I got my upper M Coupe mounts in on Fri from Import.

Mon/Tue I am ordering a rear bar .

BimmerBum
04-29-2007, 03:46 AM
If you are running a front M3 style sway bar and you use the OEM adjustable end links you only need one. Probably asking if the same type of setup is possible on the rear.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=31351134582A

I'm guessing that you would still need two adjustable end links because the non-adjustable one may not be the right length. But as the front suspension on a Ti, with M3 compliant struts is basically identical to an M3 you could use the M3 non-adjustable end link on one side and the adjustable one on the other.

You really need to run both adjustable links or both solid. You want the sway bar to lay parallel to the ground under load. If you were using one adjustable link and one not I can only imagine the sway bar bind.

mohaughn
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
You really need to run both adjustable links or both solid. You want the sway bar to lay parallel to the ground under load. If you were using one adjustable link and one not I can only imagine the sway bar bind.

Not really. If the non-adjustable end link is the proper length then you only need 1 side to be adjustable to take out any pre-load from lowering the car. TcKline, turner, bimmerworld, and Josh at the Bimmerplace all agreed that you only need one adjustable if you use OEM length endlinks. However, for the price of one OEM adjustable end link and an OEM non-adjustable endlink you can buy a set of adjustable GC end links. Which is what I did.

I'm fairly certain that the configuration on the M3's that had the adjustable endlink, they only come with one.

L84THSKY
06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Just tried to install rear H & R sway bar. The bracket on the car that hold the clamps was broken on the passenger side. I'm gonna have new MZ3 brackets welded on. Any idea what the part# is?

Here is a picture of my broken one. The bottom is missing a tab where the clamp slips in. Part#3 mentioned, is what connects to the part in the picture.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3096/bracketth2.jpg

Is it OK to drive with the rear sway bar off for a few days?

Panzer_M
06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
dust, is driving w/o a rear sway bar on his ti.

L84THSKY
06-04-2007, 04:30 AM
What's the part# for the bracket on the MZ3 car? The part welded to the body.

dust, is driving w/o a rear sway bar on his ti.

DocDuvi
06-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Is this the correct rear bar for our cars? I'm referring to the M-coupe one. Why do they list both an M-coupe and a Roadster rear bar, what's the difference?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=71754

I forget, how much thicker is that bar than the M-tech rear bar?

can anyone confirm that is the correct bar cause I want one!!!! :biggrin:

L84THSKY
06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
BUMP......................

What's the part# for the bracket on the MZ3 car? The part welded to the body.

L84THSKY
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
I called my local dealer, this is the part # 41112 491 300.

Can someone else check it out and see it they agree this is the correct part?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CN93&mospid=48090&btnr=41_0063&hg=41&fg=25&hl=27

L84THSKY
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Showed the damaged bracket to the mechanic today, he thinks I should do what I was planning to do, put the MZ3 brackets on. They should be alot stronger. Hopefully, the dealer is ordering the correct parts.

Just tried to install rear H & R sway bar. The bracket on the car that hold the clamps was broken on the passenger side. I'm gonna have new MZ3 brackets welded on. Any idea what the part# is?

Here is a picture of my broken one. The bottom is missing a tab where the clamp slips in. Part#3 mentioned, is what connects to the part in the picture.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3096/bracketth2.jpg

Is it OK to drive with the rear sway bar off for a few days?

L84THSKY
06-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Picked up the MZ3 brackets from the dealer, part# 41112491300

These don't look much different than the stock ones, however, the MZ3 clamp fits it perfect.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1369/mz3bracketyi7.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4960/mz3bracketandclampza0.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2070/mz3bracketandclamp1sk0.jpg

Gonna have these brackets welded in on Saturday.

I misplaced the bushings for the H & R sway bar, probably need to buy another set:frown:

Panzer_M
06-11-2007, 03:02 AM
what did they cost? How much to weld them up to the chassis?

L84THSKY
06-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Both brackets were like $15.00 total. The welding could be $100-150.00. I hope less.

L84THSKY
06-13-2007, 05:05 PM
What a dumbass. The bushings were on the bar..........:eek: Assembled all the parts, everything is there, just need to get the brackets welded Saturday. :biggrin:

marko
06-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I just called Turner Motorsport and ordered a H&R rear sway bar (19mm) for my '99 318ti... $159 & supposed to be a direct bolt off/on replacement part (comes with bushings).

anyway, the weird thing is that the guy said "this is brand new part # H&R - we never sold them before for the 318ti - & in fact as I'm processing your order, I'm entering this part # into our system for the first time" (WTF??).:confused:

I could swear I was told these existed before...

L84THSKY
06-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Maybe he meant he never sold them as a "318ti" sway bar. I had to choose as if I had a MZ3 coupe to get the part #.

Are you gonna use the adjustable/greasable end links?

I just called Turner Motorsport and ordered a H&R rear sway bar (19mm) for my '99 318ti... $159 & supposed to be a direct bolt off/on replacement part (comes with bushings).

anyway, the weird thing is that the guy said "this is brand new part # H&R - we never sold them before for the 318ti - & in fact as I'm processing your order, I'm entering this part # into our system for the first time" (WTF??).:confused:

I could swear I was told these existed before...

marko
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
well, I'm gonna try a straight swap first.. if that dont work well, maybe I'll go with the adjustable. What would be the benefit of adjustable? clearance?

Maybe he meant he never sold them as a "318ti" sway bar. I had to choose as if I had a MZ3 coupe to get the part #.

Are you gonna use the adjustable/greasable end links?

marko
06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
to boot, I'm not even gonna get the front bar right away.. wanna see how the car acts with just a tighter rear end, and then go from there.

had a 91 GTI while back.. got stiffer rear & front bars for it. noticed a 'plowing' feel into turns (oversteer I assume) after I swaped both bars. didn't like it at all...

(by accident) decided to put back the OEM front bar while keeping the new/stiffer rear & just like that the handeling improved 10 fold (no nose diving into turns)...

not sure how exactly to explain it, except that it felt much more leveled & even keel in turns... stiffer rear end (vs. front & rear) made the whole car much more balanced. hoping it'll be the same thing with the this car...

DustenT
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
to boot, I'm not even gonna get the front bar right away.. wanna see how the car acts with just a tighter rear end, and then go from there.

had a 91 GTI while back.. got stiffer rear & front bars for it. noticed a 'plowing' feel into turns (oversteer I assume) after I swaped both bars. didn't like it at all...

(by accident) decided to put back the OEM front bar while keeping the new/stiffer rear & just like that the handeling improved 10 fold (no nose diving into turns)...

not sure how exactly to explain it, except that it felt much more leveled & even keel in turns... stiffer rear end (vs. front & rear) made the whole car much more balanced. hoping it'll be the same thing with the this car...

TC Kline recommends at stiff front bar (HR 28mm), NO REAR BAR, and 500/550 lb linear springs.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...post your results!

marko
06-13-2007, 10:40 PM
very interesting.. will do for sure (post 'the feel', however subjective LOL).

front bar is not that much more.. guy said $179, so I'll probalby get the front at some point soon & try all combos possible.
this should be interesting... LOL

TC Kline recommends at stiff front bar (HR 28mm), NO REAR BAR, and 500/550 lb linear springs.

L84THSKY
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I've been running no rear bar for about a week and a half. Can't say I like it better or worse, but it doesn't seem to hurt any.

L84THSKY
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
The grease nipples resolve the squeaking. The adjustable feature allows you to set them up correctly for proper loading. Seems my end links were rubbing my halfshafts at times, not sure when, but the halfshafts are scored from the end links.

To make my life easier, I'm gonna have the shop mount and adjust the bar/endlinks, after they weld the brackets in.

What would be the benefit of adjustable? clearance?

L84THSKY
06-17-2007, 01:04 AM
MZ3 Brackets welded in and bar installed. Had the shop do both. Cost was $195.00. Pictures to come later.

L84THSKY
06-22-2007, 01:34 AM
A total look at my rear:eek:
3.46LSD with M-coupe cover, E30 halfshafts
BavAuto springs
Bilstein sport shocks
Now, H & R ZM3 19mm sway bar with adjustable/greasable end links

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/7195/swaybar2wx5.jpg
Turner Motorsport sway bar tabs welded in last year. They are the tabs that the bottom of the end links are attached to.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4730/swaybar1uf3.jpg
You can see the H & R sway bar in this pic

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/3756/swaybarkm4.jpg
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2023/swaybarbracketlo4.jpg
New MZ3 brackets were recently welded in.:biggrin: