PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Removing Gearbox Problem

318iS
04-15-2007, 09:41 PM
about 4 days ago my clutch finally died...

anyway i have a problem taking out the gearbox or tranny as you guys call it...

i have removed all the torx bolts that hold the gearbox and disconnected the driveshaft....

now the gearbox slips out about an inch and wont come out anymore...

it looks as if its caught on the starter motor but i have disconnected the 2 bolts that hold it to the gearbox......
also when the gearbox is out that inch the flywheel is coming out by that much as well....

any suggestions are welcome...

i am going to take the intake manifold off in the morning to be able to see the starter motor to see if it stoping the gearbox coming out....

that is unless one of you guys can tell me something else thats causing trouble...

bullmand
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
There should be two locating pins either on the engine or the bellhousing. It could be hanging up on those. I had that problem recently on my E30. I don't remember exactly where they are. I think they were near the top. You may just have to get something up there and wedge it between the engine and the bellhousing.

318iS
04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
i dont think theres anything there really....

i can pull it out about an inch and twist it so theres nothing other than the starter motor in the way....

also does the starter motor stay on the engine (i taught it does) or does it come out with the gearbox... cos when i shake the gearbox the starter shakes aswell so their still attached....

bullmand
04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Sorry. You said you could rotate it around. The starter should stay on the engine side. I had trouble getting mine out too. I don't remember what we did specifically. I think we just wiggled it until it came out.

318iS
04-16-2007, 12:50 AM
tried wiggling it ( a lot ) but it doesnt want to come out....

im going to bed now and hopefully when i wake up there will be a solution here for me.. otherwise intake manifold is coming out....

bullmand
04-16-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm assuming you got this already, but you disconnected the slave cylinder, right?

318iS
04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
yeah the slave is off....

ptarditi
04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
we had a problem getting the gearbox out of my daughters 325 and it took 2 of us techs and 2 fairly large pry bars to pop it free. It could still be hanging up on the pilot bearing and make sure your shifter plate is staying up and out the way. My guess is that the splines have really oxidized and you are fighting the spot where the disc can't get by them. You might try spraying PB buster down there let it sit and go at it again.

ptarditi
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Sorry after rereading that reply you might think I menat the disc would move, it should be that the splines on the trans input shaft are getting hung and won't easily slide past the disc.

i

campaiar
04-16-2007, 04:55 PM
LARGE PRY BARS.

You'll need to use more force than you really want to, but it will come off.

Keep the trans as level as possible to avoid torque on the spline.

greenie
04-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I would take the starter all the way off just to be safe.

There is a sheet metal plate between the engine and the bell housing that can get caught. You may have to hold it in place when you slide the tranny back. I pulled mine a few years back and didn't need any pry bars or excessive force.

i dont think theres anything there really....

i can pull it out about an inch and twist it so theres nothing other than the starter motor in the way....

also does the starter motor stay on the engine (i taught it does) or does it come out with the gearbox... cos when i shake the gearbox the starter shakes aswell so their still attached....

318iS
04-16-2007, 11:46 PM
thanks for the replys everyone...

got it off today....

turns out theres like a dowel or something holding the starter in place and that was stopping the gearbox coming out...

also that metal gasket thing that sits between the engine and gearbox had a small 10mm bolt that was rounded so i broke the metal gasket off and will have to buy a new one....

also weighed my flywheel it weighs 27.5 pounds... crazy....

anyway thats gettin some lightening and a clutch is on the way....

thanks