PDA

View Full Version : Still giving me problems...

losichu
04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
I have been dealing with this car since I bought it, its just been one thing after the other. Lets start from the top.

When I initially turn on the car for the day, my first attempt at turning the key will either not start the car or it will idle so rough that it turns itself off. The next time I turn the key, its starts up normally, no issues. WTF??? (The problem is occasional throughout the day, sometimes it starts off just fine, other times I have to start it twice)

So I'm driving down the road, and I will hear a squeaking noise under the hood, at various pitches, but pretty consistent. It doesn't change when I hit the gas, but it will occasionally go away when I accelerate from a stop or make a turn. WTF???

When I get to my destination and park, the squeaking noise is there, so I turn off my car and the squeal becomes one long continuous squeal, as if it were coming to a halt, and sometimes it lasts after the engine has totally turned off. WTF??

With the hood open, I can usually hear air, a possible vacuum leak, coming from the crankcase vent valve area. I was spraying starting fluid in the area and you can hear a difference. I replace the hose that goes into the vent valve and the hose under that (some kind of coolant hose)but that hasn't fixed the problem. There is another hose that is to the left of it that goes under the intake and somewhere that I can't see. Where could the air be coming from? How do you know if the vent valve is bad?

Finally, standing there with the hood open when the car is shutting off, I can hear air being expelled from somewhere, and then a "magical" click and the hissing air noise gone. This is different from the vent valve hose issue as it seems to be coming from someplace lower.

I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, crankcase vent hose, radiator, ac condenser, air filter, and o2 sensor. The car had been in an accident and they say the squeaking is coming from the ac compressor bearings going bad, but it didn't do it before the accident. Does anyone have any ideas?

jkilla71
04-25-2007, 02:26 AM
You might want to start off with what year your car is. There are two different engines the M42 made until 95 and the M44 there after. I am guessing you have a M44 and your secondary air pump is bad just from the other threads I have read with similar problems. Do a search and I think you will find the info you need on that.

The squealing noise you can probably find something on that too

losichu
04-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Its a 96 sport, 110k miles, in Texas