PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vibration/Noise when turning right

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Hello everyone, just as the title says my car has a real bad vibration and noise when turning right (even as slow as 20 mph or so). I have looked through older threads but can't find my problem. It has brand new control arms and bushings as well as bearings which seemed to be the cause of most of the threads I've seen.

Could it be the tie rods?

anything is appreciated.

thanks,
Chris

Philly
04-30-2007, 03:08 AM
have you checked out balljoints??
if its that bad, you should just be able grab the wheel you suspect the shake is coming from and see if you can move it side to side....

tie-rods is also a possibility... get under the car and push and pull the tierod up and down, if they feel solid, then thats not your problem.

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 03:25 AM
yeah when i replaced the control arms they had new ball joints installed. I'll try to get under this week and see what I can feel with the tie rods.

thanks

aceyx
04-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Does it go away when you turn left?

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 03:29 AM
yeah, there's absolutely no problem when turning left

weezer
04-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Did you check the power steering fluid/oil level?
I had similar issues because of low level.
Good Luck!

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 06:38 AM
would that make it uneven so that it only makes the noise in one direction?

weezer
04-30-2007, 01:29 PM
would that make it uneven so that it only makes the noise in one direction?

Somehow....yes. I had a similar issue where when I turn left (only) a moaning sound and vibration would appear. When I checked the reservoir, the level was low, about half way. I topped it off and bled it................by turning the wheel lock to lock while the car is on..........and recheck the level, if it dips down top i off again.
Try this first before assuming othe expensive repairs...........make sure you top it off with ATF oil, "NOT" power steering liquid.
If this doesn't help, try raising the front end and check the if the bearings or tie rods are okay by pulling on the wheel. If there's some play/wiggle:
side to side is tie rod; top to bottom is bearing.
Good Luck!
Fariz

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
awesome, thanks

why ATF Oil?

PettitWC
04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
that didn't seem to fix it so I'm gonna go ahead and put it up on some stands tonight and see what happens with the wiggling

weezer
04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
awesome, thanks

why ATF Oil?

ATF oil because that's what the manual said, also the reservoir cap is marked ATF only.

that didn't seem to fix it so I'm gonna go ahead and put it up on some stands tonight and see what happens with the wiggling

Did you bleed it after refilling/topping it off?
The engine has to be on when you bleed it........turn steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times, that will circulate the oil. Recheck the level, top when necessary.
When checking for worn bearing or tie rod; hold your rim/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock position for tie rod and 12 and 6 o'clock for bearing.
Good Luck!

BobbyDigital
05-01-2007, 04:00 AM
Dude, I just had the same problem about a month ago. Mine ended up being a bent cross member support brace. We just took it out and beat it back into shape. Same thing though, only on right turns.

PettitWC
05-01-2007, 07:30 AM
ATF oil because that's what the manual said, also the reservoir cap is marked ATF only.

Did you bleed it after refilling/topping it off?
The engine has to be on when you bleed it........turn steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times, that will circulate the oil. Recheck the level, top when necessary.
When checking for worn bearing or tie rod; hold your rim/tire at 3 and 9 o'clock position for tie rod and 12 and 6 o'clock for bearing.
Good Luck!

Awesome, thanks. I got off work real late tonight so this is gonna have to wait a bit.

Dude, I just had the same problem about a month ago. Mine ended up being a bent cross member support brace. We just took it out and beat it back into shape. Same thing though, only on right turns.

thanks, do you have a part number for that just so i can get a better idea of where it is

BobbyDigital
05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, realoem.com isnt responding right now, stand by please!

weezer
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
This is what you need to replace if the bearing is the problem

PettitWC
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
no i just put new bearings on a few weeks ago, i'm looking for the cross member support brace part number. thanks fellas

Mallard
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
http://bmwfans.info/original/images/3563_p.png

you probably mean nr 5?

31 35 1 091 764

weezer
05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
http://bmwfans.info/original/images/3563_p.png

you probably mean nr 5?

31 35 1 091 764

You're showing a diagram of the front anti sway bar assembly and No.5 is the sway bar end link.
This problem has to do with front steering and suspension; tie rod or control arm or bearing, etc.

BobbyDigital
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/l/114.png

I think its 7 in this picture, but I"m not sure where thats going...anyway, if you look under it, its right behind the oil pan, its pretty much the lowest point on the car. Mine is a black bar and the exhaust is coming down over it in two pipes.

weezer
05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
No.7 is the chassis/frame support bar and has nothing to do with steering. It is also listed under body work. Steering noise/problems will be listed under suspension/steering. Look underneath the car and see the chassis support, it should be under the firewall......that's no.7.
Check tie-rods, control arms, bearings, etc.
Good Luck!

BobbyDigital
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
No.7 is the chassis/frame support bar and has nothing to do with steering. It is also listed under body work. Steering noise/problems will be listed under suspension/steering. Look underneath the car and see the chassis support, it should be under the firewall......that's no.7.
Check tie-rods, control arms, bearings, etc.
Good Luck!

Yeah, I know dude, thats why, when I had the same thing, I never noticed that. It was bent and when I would turn right, the exhaust pipe would rattle against it. It sounded like hell, I thought it was something bad. What a relief, I hope you have the same luck!

weezer
05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I know dude, thats why, when I had the same thing, I never noticed that. It was bent and when I would turn right, the exhaust pipe would rattle against it. It sounded like hell, I thought it was something bad. What a relief, I hope you have the same luck!

Replace it with the X-Brace. You can easily get one for about $110.00. Your car's handling will be much better.
Good Luck.

bimbim
10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
so was it a bent tie rod, always let us know what the solution is if possible.

PettitWC
10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
still pretty sure it was the tie rods. haven't had a chance to take care of it yet having moved from california to wyoming to alabama and back to wyoming today