PDA

View Full Version : Suspension work

momorugger
04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I am looking for an extreme suspension overhaul here, and was looking at the Dinan stage 3 setup. However, I don't see anybody on the forum w/ the dinan stuff, so that kind of scares me. I am prolly gonna start w/ just anti sway bars, and I found some ACS ones on bavauto, but they don't give thickness for the bars or any real info. Does anybody here has experience w/ these setups? also, almost every thread on here says a CAI loses power on an M44, but I've heard otherwise about Carbonics (sp?). Again, just trying to hear some experienced feedback.

DustenT
04-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I am looking for an extreme suspension overhaul here, and was looking at the Dinan stage 3 setup. However, I don't see anybody on the forum w/ the dinan stuff, so that kind of scares me. I am prolly gonna start w/ just anti sway bars, and I found some ACS ones on bavauto, but they don't give thickness for the bars or any real info. Does anybody here has experience w/ these setups? also, almost every thread on here says a CAI loses power on an M44, but I've heard otherwise about Carbonics (sp?). Again, just trying to hear some experienced feedback.

Dinan just rebrands suspension components. I think they use Koni shocks/struts. Just buy the stocks/struts or coilovers individually and save lots of $$. What is your budget?

CAI don't increase power, but they sound nice (I guess).

momorugger
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
budget is about 2500...ish (business deal)

momorugger
04-30-2007, 09:15 PM
do you guys recommend the koni or eibach?

jkilla71
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.bmpdesign.com/

BMP has 28mm front and 18mm rear sway bars under $200 each

I have Bilstein PSS (coilovers up front& similar to stock in the rear) and it is an easy install. Love it

windnsea00
04-30-2007, 10:52 PM
$2500 is a nice budget...my whole suspension (including new bushings/mounts, etc.) cost almost a grand less than that.

momorugger
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
yea, I am looking to make this thing GLUED to the road. I am looking for the most extreme setup possible. However, do these setups prevent me from getting bigger wheels? I am looking to get 17s so I can get a BBK

jkilla71
04-30-2007, 11:13 PM
yea, I am looking to make this thing GLUED to the road. I am looking for the most extreme setup possible. However, do these setups prevent me from getting bigger wheels? I am looking to get 17s so I can get a BBK

I run 18's with the PSS system (about $1000 and only height adjustable in the front) but extreme would be PSS-9 completely adjustable. Coilovers front and rear for $500 more the PSS

windnsea00
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
My setup is glued to the road...more "extreme" than PSS9 coilovers lol. I have stock sways since I'm running a higher spring rate so they aren't being used much...actually adding thicker ones would make my car handle worse as I would loose my contact patch and lift easier in turns.

The real suspension guru's generally build their own suspension by selecting specific parts rather than these kits you buy. My good friend who is a mechanical engineer major/BMW guru (engine swaps/suspension) who happens to know a level of physics/math beyond my knowledge selected my setup for instance.

momorugger
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
so are you saying that a 27 front/22 rear would actually HARM my suspension?

DustenT
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM

It depends what springs you run with.

Call up TC Kline and tell them what you want. They are experts on our cars and the M Coupe. I think they recommend linear rate springs, big front sway bar and no rear sway bar.

momorugger
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
It depends what springs you run with.

Call up TC Kline and tell them what you want. They are experts on our cars and the M Coupe. I think they recommend linear rate springs, big front sway bar and no rear sway bar.

but wouldn't a lack of a rear sway bar make things geniunely unstable? I realize you just told me otherwise, I am just having a hard time figuring out how.

mohaughn
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
That is what TcKline will recommend for a track type car. That is what I'm running. For a street car where you just want something that handles really well on the street I would imagine that their single adjustable coilovers with a sport or even 28mm front bar would be fine with a stock rear bar and 400-500 pound springs front and back. TcKline or Groundcontrol offer different spring rates and will usually work with you on exactly what you want to use the car for. The eibach springs seem to be cheaper than the VVS Vogtland springs that TcKline uses. And most of the manufacturers are simply using bilstein or koni struts. GC and TcKline will revalve the struts before selling them for their higher end kits. For 2500 you can get a very nice custom suspension.

My car is way to stiff for daily driving. I've read of other people running 550# on the street, but as light as my car is with solid bushings it hurts your neck to drive on the street for more than an hour or so.

momorugger
05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
How do I contact TC Kline?

mohaughn
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
www.tcklineracing.com

For groundcontrol I would talk to the guys at www.bimmerworld.com. They are also very helpful in selecting the right kind of suspension for your needs. The other vendor that I used for suspension parts was Ireland Engineering. They are yet another vendor that knows the E30 rear suspension very well.

windnsea00
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
It all comes down to what spring rate your using. Some people go thicker sways and softer spring rates and others go vice versa. They both act as a spring but for our cars I've learned spring rate>sway.

For my setup it would handle worse if I upgraded my sways. Body sway is already minimal enough and if I put a thicker sway up front I would cause more understeer and a thicker sway in the rear I would just lift more in tight turns/cause oversteer. Basically my sways aren't being used much and the springs are doing the work :)

I recommend not going higher than my spring rate for our car...anything stiffer would just start bouncing more and loosing the all so important contact patch. Now if it was strictly a track car, that's a different story but my setup excels at the street and soon to be track.

It cost ~$1600 to buy my suspension and while upgrading the old stock parts...then with the amount of heat my spring rate is pushing into the tires I need at least 245's if I want it to not turn greasy under hard driving. I drove with the stock 225/50/16 for awhile and the difference was DRAMATIC when I went to 245 all around. I can chuck this car into tight turns like an idiot and the grip is huge. I'm also running Bridgestone RE-01R's which are nearly a R-comp tire haha...I will be happy to see 10k miles out of them.

windnsea00
05-01-2007, 06:25 PM
www.tcklineracing.com

For groundcontrol I would talk to the guys at www.bimmerworld.com. They are also very helpful in selecting the right kind of suspension for your needs. The other vendor that I used for suspension parts was Ireland Engineering. They are yet another vendor that knows the E30 rear suspension very well.
If one wants to deal with Ground Control directly (such as I did) they can go here: http://www.ground-control-store.com/

momorugger
05-02-2007, 03:53 AM
well, budget dropped to 1500