PDA

View Full Version : ABS fault..

Mallard
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
i changed over my solid discs (front) and calipers today with a vented set from an e46 2.0

im now seeing the abs fault light on the dash

What have i done?

i had to give the discs a tap or 2 to get them off the hub, nothing violent.

one of the wear- indicators cracked on removal ( still complete loop though, just the clip cracked)

one brake hose wasnt tightened enough in fitment of the new caliper, leaked a bit, but was quickly tightened.

both fronts were bled, brakes solid.

I changed pads and discs on it about a month ago, no issues on that occasion

please sombody help

mohaughn
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Well just changing the rotors, pads, and calipers should not cause the ABS light to come on. Are you absolutely sure that all of the ABS speed sensors are still properly connected? Given that you were working in that area it is pretty reasonable to think that you could have disconnected one of them. There is an ABS speed sensor(pulse sensor) on both front wheels, and the brake wear sensor is only on the driver side.

Then check the ABS related fuses. If neither one of those turn up anything you'll have to get the ABS code pulled from the computer.

Just replaced the rotors and pads on my 328 last night. Doing the rears tonight.

Mallard
05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
i think i may have dislodged one when knocking the disc out.

ill look at it tomorrom, but im pretty sure where the problem lies :)

L84THSKY
05-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Sounds to me like you have the worn brake pad indicator light. Change out the sensor wire, and you should be fine.

i changed over my solid discs (front) and calipers today with a vented set from an e46 2.0

im now seeing the abs fault light on the dash

What have i done?

i had to give the discs a tap or 2 to get them off the hub, nothing violent.

one of the wear- indicators cracked on removal ( still complete loop though, just the clip cracked)

one brake hose wasnt tightened enough in fitment of the new caliper, leaked a bit, but was quickly tightened.

both fronts were bled, brakes solid.

I changed pads and discs on it about a month ago, no issues on that occasion

please sombody help

Mallard
05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Sounds to me like you have the worn brake pad indicator light. Change out the sensor wire, and you should be fine.

hey :)

brake wear indicator and abs system havnt anything to do with each other..

the brake system will still function, the abs system has registered a fault somewhere though

the warning lamp is for the abs. not the pads

the only 2 possibles are,

1) the abs speed sensor, that sits behind the wheel bearing has lost contact and is registering as a fault

2) the wheel bearing itself which contains something that the abs system uses is damaged / dislodged after thumping the discs off

the first is a cheap swap, the second isnt really but still doŽable.

--------------------------------------------------------------

update:

started the car here this afternoon, no fault registered

lamp goes out straightaway

:D

wicked !!