PDA

View Full Version : Where is the IAT sensor in the 1997 model

Raptor_55
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi i just bought some mod chip for the IAT but dont know where it is on my car lol
i dont really know much bout under the bonnet havnt had the car for very long...
so can anyone tell me where the IAT sensor is in the BMW 318TI 1997 model thanks

DustenT
05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi i just bought some mod chip for the IAT but dont know where it is on my car lol
i dont really know much bout under the bonnet havnt had the car for very long...
so can anyone tell me where the IAT sensor is in the BMW 318TI 1997 model thanks

Don't install that "mod chip" in the IAT sensor. It's just a resistor that you put in place of the sensor. It's a gimmick. Throw it away. BAD!!!

BleMW
05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
is this what we call a maf? what's an iat?

DustenT
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
is this what we call a maf? what's an iat?

Intake Air Temp sensor. It's a vital component, the ECU uses that value to determine the correct amount of fuel and timing to run based on outside air temperatures. This "mod" basically tricks the ECU into thinking it's very cold outside so it runs more fuel and more timing, even though the air it's sucking in is actually very hot. Can you say DETONATION?

Raptor_55
05-03-2007, 06:10 AM
ok thanks ill just put it back on ebay lol

aceyx
05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Intake Air Temp sensor. It's a vital component, the ECU uses that value to determine the correct amount of fuel and timing to run based on outside air temperatures. This "mod" basically tricks the ECU into thinking it's very cold outside so it runs more fuel and more timing, even though the air it's sucking in is actually very hot. Can you say DETONATION?
Detonation occurs when the mixture is lean. A rich mixture will make your car sluggish, eat gas, burn out your cat, and get carbon deposits all over the place.

DustenT
05-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Detonation occurs when the mixture is lean. A rich mixture will make your car sluggish, eat gas, burn out your cat, and get carbon deposits all over the place.

Thanks for the correction, yeah I was thinking about it backwards. Either way, it's a terrible idea.

aceyx
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Either way, it's a terrible idea.
Agreed.