PDA

View Full Version : air intake?

turbo87
05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
hi all,

i have the K&N 57i air intake and since joining this forum i have seen that many of you have the cosmo set up. i like the long arm induction kit by cosmo. i would like to know is it better then the K&N setup that i currently have? :smile:

thanks

Viper3812
05-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Probably. Is the K&N just a filter? Any piping? Pic?

turbo87
05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
urm i havent got a photo but the filter is directly connected to the intake sensor lump and i have run a hose from where the fog light is all the way up

cosmos schwarz
05-06-2007, 09:26 PM
the cosmo intake is better than a k&n 57i cos' the filter is further towards the front of the car. you can do this yourself though with a 76mm 45 degree alloy tube, raid hp sell them. you will need to relocate the alarm and horn though. still, a cosmo intake isnt' as good as a fogged stock airbox or an enclosed induction kit.

Viper3812
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the k&n is robbing hp from you. It is sucking in heat like crazy. The cosmo intake is a good option or like CosmoSchwarz said, the fogged air box is a great cheap mod. Do a search and you will find the thread about it. If you need an air box I am selling mine with a K&n flat panel filter for $55 shipped.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15599
Pics are on the bottom of the thread.

crow13pro
05-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I have the Dinan Cold Air Intake setup and am really happy with it. It has a tube, heat shield and filter that is located in the front fender under the front head lights...the front air intake duct in the front lower bumper has a flap that works to also help to get air to the filter element. I have a '99 ti sport with the M3 front so it has the 2 intake ducts for the front wheels/brakes. The Dinan setup keeps the hot air from the engine compartment from being sucked into the intake via a heat shield. The car definitely performs better and sounds better besides.

momorugger
05-07-2007, 06:28 AM
can people post pics about their intake system setups?

Viper3812
05-07-2007, 06:39 AM
did dinan stop making the intake for our cars? becuase i hear people saying they have the intake but it isnt on the dinan website :frown:

Then that is a yes.

robcarync
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14920

that is my current set up....modified cosmo intake...

i have had the debaffled airbox with paper filter, the fogged airbox with paper filter, fogged airbox with kn filter, cosmo stock intake, modified cosmo short ram with a paper cone filter, and my modified cosmo cold air intake with the cosmo filter.

i like the modified cosmo the best out of all of those...the cosmo set up itself has a few design flaws in my opinion, but it gives you the materials to make some options yourself which is nice

Viper3812
05-12-2007, 08:27 PM
http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14920

i like the modified cosmo the best out of all of those...the cosmo set up itself has a few design flaws in my opinion, but it gives you the materials to make some options yourself which is nice

What would you say are the flaws?

ATF
05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I was curious to see if anyone had made their own intake from scratch? I'm thinking of an intake made from one tube and some bends.

robcarync
05-13-2007, 01:58 AM
i discuss all the flaws in my write up....i mean i guess they may not be flaws to everyone else but they were things i dont think worked out well with their design and thats why i made my own

robcarync
05-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Issues

The first issue I had to decide on was whether a cloth Cosmo Racing air filter (similar to K&N type construction) would adequately protect my engine. After doing several hours of internet research on filter types, I reached the conclusion for myself that yes, it would protect my engine sufficiently and it was safe to continue use. There are many conflicting opinions on this topic so you have to decide for yourself. Another benefit of the Cosmo filter is the size. It is much smaller than the Prelude paper filter and can fit under the hood a lot better.

The Cosmo intake was decent, but in my mind had a few flaws. Firstly, the filter was routed right behind the driver side fog light. Not a big problem, except for the brake duct is in the way. To install, you have to jack up your front tire and remove it. You have to take out the wheel well liner, and remove the brake duct, run the piping down, and attach the filter from the bottom. It is not terribly difficult, but very inconvenient when you need to clean your air filter or check it every so often. I want a system that can easily be removed from the engine bay without taking wheels off.

The Cosmo system was not very secure. It had a securing bracket, but the only place it could really go was off of the side of cruise control mount. Not hard to do, but essentially you are securing the top 3 inches of the intake while the last 20 inches of pipe rattle and shake around at the bottom. I want something a little more solid.

With the filter all the way down by the fog light, hydro locking your engine can be a concern. Though rare, if your splash guard isn’t working, you can leave your entire car stuck if you hit a deep puddle.

The Cosmo intake consists of two pipes which attach together with silicon sleeves and create a round-about S type curve. I am not an expert on fluid dynamics, but I like the idea of making the air travel the least distance. I wanted a straighter path for the air to flow with the least amount of curves.

momorugger
05-13-2007, 03:08 AM
I will be making a custom intake probably w/in the month, w/ some hoses and twisties. I'll let you know how it goes ATF

ATF
05-13-2007, 03:49 AM
I will be making a custom intake probably w/in the month, w/ some hoses and twisties. I'll let you know how it goes ATF

Sweet deal, I'm interested in how it turns out. I'm debating whether to just buy the Cosmo Racing setup and modify it or if I want to talk to my buddy who has a shop and try making my own.

momorugger
05-13-2007, 07:46 AM
ATF, you should look into fogging your airbox. Check the knowledge base. I think it's the first little link thing. It's pretty informative, and is what I'll be using as a sort or guideline.

ATF
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
ATF, you should look into fogging your airbox. Check the knowledge base. I think it's the first little link thing. It's pretty informative, and is what I'll be using as a sort or guideline.

I've really been juggling the idea of fogging the airbox, but for some reason I want that extra sound like i'm badass or something :)

momorugger
05-13-2007, 07:00 PM
ATF, if you read that little document, know that all you get from an intake is the sound. You stand a high likelihood of damaging your engine, in addition to losing performance.

bucksworld
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Don't go to far down with the cosmo or you will hydro-lock your engine.
Good luck

robcarync
05-14-2007, 06:29 AM
everyone seems afraid of hydrolocking their engine with an intake...

the cosmo intake is fine if you have the splash guard underneith the front bumper...you wont hydrolock...or at least it is extrmely rare that you would...i suppose it is possible under some crazy circumstances that i cant immediately foresee

if you modify the intake so it sits higher like i did, you run NO risk of hydrolocking your engine unless you drive in a lake.

i would not say you run a "high" risk of damaging your engine

as for performance, i did not think i lost any performance at all with my intake....at least i know for a fact it is a 5hp gain over a short ram intake, but i did not have any gt2 data from the stock airbox for comparison.

yes you will in fact get sound. you may or may not get some gains. if done properly you wont damage your engine

turbo87
05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
ok guys iv decided to go with the cosmo set up when i get some £££ lol anyways i was informed in this post that the k&n 57i set up is robbing HP from me can anyone prove this? as i will stright away put my stock intake back on :frown: i dont want to hurt my engine lol

thanks alot

Viper3812
05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
i was informed in this post that the k&n 57i set up is robbing HP from me can anyone prove this? as i will stright away put my stock intake back on :frown: i dont want to hurt my engine lol

thanks alot

The proof is that the filter is sitting there with no protection and sucking in hot air from the engine which = Robbing of hp.
If you had a heat shield that would be a different story.

DustenT
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Intakes don't do anything, get over it. Don't argue about it because there is data to back it up. If you need to spend money on something, buy a damn X-brace for $110 and actually be able to FEEL a difference, instead of just making more noise.

/thread

momorugger
05-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I will no longer be fabricating a custom air intake. today I watched a golf w/ a custom intake suck up a puddle no more that 2' wide, and flooded his engine, all in about 5 seconds. I chickened out for fear of hydrolocking.

ATF
05-18-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm not going to bother to fabricate one. I'm just gonna drop the $65-$70 on a CosmoRacing Short Ram, run a cold air feed tube from the bumper and call it a day. It'll add 1-2 HP from the looks alone, actual performance? who knows, who cares, It's my car :)

Viper3812
05-18-2007, 02:59 AM
If your gonna spend $65-70 get the Toucan CAI.

http://www.coldairintakedirect.com/brands/toucan.html

ATF
05-18-2007, 03:05 AM
If your gonna spend $65-70 get the Toucan CAI.

http://www.coldairintakedirect.com/brands/toucan.html

Do you have any pictures of this badboy on an E36?

Viper3812
05-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Never seen it installed, but kinda looks like the cosmo except for the s curve.

bucksworld
05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I will no longer be fabricating a custom air intake. today I watched a golf w/ a custom intake suck up a puddle no more that 2' wide, and flooded his engine, all in about 5 seconds. I chickened out for fear of hydrolocking.

Good move.........Don't risk it

turbo87
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
ok i took some pictures of my set up i know its a little late i touched the filter today and it was hot! so i guess i should put the stock one back on?

http://img5.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20460_Picture2350_122_394lo.jpg

http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20461_Picture9369_122_499lo.jpg

ATF
05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
ok i took some pictures of my set up i know its a little late i touched the filter today and it was hot! so i guess i should put the stock one back on?

http://img5.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20460_Picture2350_122_394lo.jpg

http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=20461_Picture9369_122_499lo.jpg

How long was the car sitting there with the hood closed before you touched it though?

turbo87
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
about 2minutes but it was really hot and today was a hot day aswell. i also notice that when its a hot day the car doesnt perform as well but thats common as theres hot air floting about

bucksworld
05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
u need to fabricate or add 6-12 inches of an elbow to give it more of a cold air intake.

momorugger
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
You're a prime suspect of hydrolocking. I just watched another cold air intake car flood itself today. NOT WORTH IT.

ATF
05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
So I installed my short ram today. It gives the performance look, its got the performance sound. I plan on making a heat shield to actually let it perform to its capabilities.

My question now (I drive an automatic), mainly in 2nd gear, the revs will get up to 5,000 ~ 5,500 before it shifts (from a stop). 6,000 when I'm punching it on the highway (from a stop). Is this normal? or better yet what's the cause of it? It's 95 F right now so possibly the heat it's sucking in + the engine heat it's sucking in, but I was curious if anyone else experienced this. I'm driving a M44.

pdxmotorhead
05-26-2007, 07:11 AM
The other bit not mentioned is that there is a temperature sensor in the intake manifold for incoming air temp. The ECu pulls spark the higher the temp gets. This is the major reason power drops if you don't isolate the intake air from the engine air.

One way to prevent Hydro lock is to make the intake so it has 2 air filters the main one hung low and a small one hung off in another direction on a long tube (2" or so in diameter). the main air flow will be through the
big filter but if it hits water the small cleaner will only allow so much vacume in the inlet so it will not suck water. On race 4x4's we put one in the cab of the truck, the other is on a NACA in the fender or hood.

Dave