PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Warranty...

marleymon
05-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I sent in a rear sport for warranty- just one. I clearly stated the make /model/ ti hatchback/e30 rear end...etc. #(B36-2027)...

Today I find on my porch a Bilstein Box! Wait, this thing is big...crack it open...they sent 2 new Sports! Yes! wait...hmmm...wow these are beefy...wait these can't be right......

part # F4-BE5-2725-HO ... on both....

are these for a regular e36?:confused they owe me a shirt now...been waiting...:mad

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3788/dsc01271lw4.jpg

marleymon
05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
direction in the box list the :
bmw e30/e36 compact/e46/Z3 M roadster/Z4....

anybody have a size on the rear ti Bilstein (length)??
The design of these looks much better...improved?...calling monday am....

bullmand
05-06-2007, 02:40 PM
The Bilstein website lists that part number as BMW E36 HA Sprint. Whatever that means. It didn't show up when I searched by the car, I had to search the part number. Definitely let us know what they tell you. I plan on buying a set of sports soon and this could be useful info.

aceyx
05-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Looks like they are somewhat compatible, maybe a bit more gas pressure:
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=267&HRefTarget=shop.asp#top

branden
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Josh, I just recently got my sports from Vitesse. They are the F4-B36-2027-HO ones.

The shaft, from the top of the tube up, is 10 and 1/16 inches.

The actual tube is about 13 and 3/4 inches.

The tube on yours looks significantly wider than mine. If they fit, I'd consider myself lucky. :)

marleymon
05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
too big then...probably not the right one's.
shaft from the seal up is exactly 10.75 inches.
the tube itself is 15.25 from the seal to the bottom of the shock.

Maybe this is a beefier version..? http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4788/dsc01284zj0.jpg

aceyx
05-07-2007, 02:44 AM
I think it's been designed to handle more weight. If you follow the link in my previous post, you can see that many of the models listed for the shock you've received have a higher curb weight than the one for the ti.

However, it doesn't explain why some applications are the same.

I would call them to get the right ones. They probably differ in rebound and damping, not to mention ride height.

bullmand
05-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Here's some more info from the Bilstein world site. This is the first reference I've seen to these, but it sounds like these may actually be what you want. Here's a description of the Sport (http://www.bilstein.de/cms_website/root/index.php?page_id=117&cms_produkt_id=6), and here's the description of the Sprint (http://www.bilstein.de/cms_website/root/index.php?page_id=117&cms_produkt_id=7). I can't get their catalog on this site to work, so I can't check the part numbers for the ti. Hope this helps.

marleymon
05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
(why do I ****ing get timed out during typing)

Bilstein was absolutely no help today. The rep tells me I have the correct e36 rear sport shock. I told him the ti hatchback has the older e30 rearend. He tells me Bilstein DOES NOT make a sport for the ti hatchback, only an hd 2028.
wth?

I told him bavauto list the ti as a 2027. He say's that's incorrect and installing them even with HR lowering springs---voids the warranty.

He actually tells me I should call bavauto and ask them to send me the correct hd versions and ask if they will accept these new e36 sports in credit.....???:confused:

weezer
05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
(why do I ****ing get timed out during typing)

Bilstein was absolutely no help today. The rep tells me I have the correct e36 rear sport shock. I told him the ti hatchback has the older e30 rearend. He tells me Bilstein DOES NOT make a sport for the ti hatchback, only an hd 2028.
wth?

I told him bavauto list the ti as a 2027. He say's that's incorrect and installing them even with HR lowering springs---voids the warranty.

He actually tells me I should call bavauto and ask them to send me the correct hd versions and ask if they will accept these new e36 sports in credit.....???:confused:

That is absolutely ludicrous. WHich Bilstein HQ did you call, Cali or NC.
I just got rear Bilstein Sports not 2 months ago and here's the product info on 318ti shocks/struts:
http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=1997&model_id2=222&makes=BMW&storedimg.x=1&storedimg.y=1&storedimg=1&storeYMM=storeYMM

marleymon
05-09-2007, 12:40 AM
sure is...wtf?? I'm calling him back tomorrow..... Raul Medina at bilstein california...

jkilla71
05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't know if this will help but here is the PDF with all the part#s and models of bilstein for every car.

http://www.bilstein.com/303passengercars.pdf

marleymon
05-09-2007, 01:30 AM
well guys- I guess I found out my problem.....

even though my receipt from the bimmerforums group buy says I received 2- rear sports- 2027's...... I just pulled the other (non-leaky-rear sport) and guess what???
It's not a 2027 either....it's a 1526 sport for the regular e36...

this explains why he sent me pair of the improved sprint sports for the regular e36.

Of course i have no recourse through the group buy because the supplier closed up shop.

So I guess I'll have to sell these and find some correct shocks for my ti.

weezer
05-09-2007, 01:32 AM
sure is...wtf?? I'm calling him back tomorrow..... Raul Medina at bilstein california...

I always call the NC location and speak with Kim or Scott.
I have the same set and it fits fine.......shorter than stock and the KYBs I had before, however, they don't feel as firm as the sports I'm used to.....feels more like HD. I think, I will go with Koni adjustables next time.....soon.

bullmand
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Looking at the PDF that Jkilla linked to I can see why the Bilstein guy you talked to wasn't clear about part numbers. The chart is a little confusing. They list the 318ti in two sections with different part numbers in each section. I was going to paste it in here but the formatting is hosed. You'll have to look it up yourself. This document must not be current though. The parts you got aren't even listed in it. The old ones you sent in are shown under 318I / 318TI / 325I / 328I from 6/92 through 98. They don't list a sport model under the separate 318ti/323ti section. This is all very confusing and a little ridiculous. I'll try the German site again later today and see what it says. I've found that stuff gets lost in translation sometimes and they may have this broken down a little more clearly.

H3_2.1-ti
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
That is definitely terrible customer service you got from the rep in Cali. The guy unfortunately is clueless; he should have just told you that you have the wrong shocks for your application. We've been selling Bilstein products for years and have never had any problems. As for fitment the front struts are the same for all E36s from '92 on except for the M3. As for the rear shocks, the ti is the only E36 that uses either the B36-2028 (HD) or B36-2027 (Sport).

bullmand
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
OK.This is getting more and more confusing. The catalog at bilstein.de is working now. Apparently the parts that we call Heavy Duty are called B6 Sport by Bilstein in Europe. The B8 Sprint models are what we call the Sports. That's a little retarded, but that's what the part numbers show.

Product No. Product group Additional description
VE3-4402 Suspension Strut BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Front Axle Left, Suspension Strut, Single Tube Upside Down, Top pin

VE3-4403 Suspension Strut BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Front Axle Right, Suspension Strut, Single Tube Upside Down, Top pin

B36-2027 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Gas Pressure, Monotube, Bottom eye, Top pin

H3_2.1-ti
05-09-2007, 07:44 PM
OK.This is getting more and more confusing. The catalog at bilstein.de is working now. Apparently the parts that we call Heavy Duty are called B6 Sport by Bilstein in Europe. The B8 Sprint models are what we call the Sports. That's a little retarded, but that's what the part numbers show.

Product No. Product group Additional description
VE3-4402 Suspension Strut BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Front Axle Left, Suspension Strut, Single Tube Upside Down, Top pin

VE3-4403 Suspension Strut BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Front Axle Right, Suspension Strut, Single Tube Upside Down, Top pin

B36-2027 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B8 SPRINT
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Gas Pressure, Monotube, Bottom eye, Top pin

That is correct; Sprint line(EU)= SPORT(NA); Sport line(EU)=HD(NA). Just go to www.bilstein.com to refer to the NA market.

marleymon
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I called Bilstein in NC today and guess what...?
The correct pair are on the way...he said might even be here tomorrow! Also included a return pick-up for these Sprints and also sent me a shirt...
all will be good shortly...

BobbyDigital
05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
So, I need to get my front struts replaced (Bilstein Sports), is it true that you have to first mail in yours, before they send the replacement?

How am I supposed to drive it in the mean time?! Haha!

But seriously, I cant just park it and wait, they dont have an RMA type system?