PDA

View Full Version : HELP ADVICE PLEASE

tol4o
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I just replaced the whole suspension, all Meyle parts
Front - control arms, strut mounts, tie rods, sway bar links, Bilstein HD Struts regular height
Rear - shock mounts, shock boots, shock reinforcement plates, Bilstein HD shocks regular height.
Ok now the problem, I replaced just the front springs with factory ones from '95ti with about 40k miles on them. The front height increased with about 1" or even more than before and now is ugly high. I believe these springs are already settled so I don't think the front height will go down at all after a while.
Is there any way I can put them down or I have to change the springs again.
Is it ok if I put H&R Sport (with 1.4" drop) on Bilstein HD Regular height struts
I don't really want to touch the rear height. Do you think I'll be able to buy just front ones. Tell me what do you think
Thank you

cooljess76
05-09-2007, 04:11 PM
HD's are basically designed for SUV's and large luxury sedans. It's been discussed before. May I ask why you decided to go with HD's? There's been many reported cases of HD's actually raising people ride heights which is good if you're going for the 4x4 look. H&R sports on HD's would bring your car to a stock ride height and it will probably feel like crap. I'd replace the HD's with Bilstein Sports, Koni's or Tokico's or even better Sachs. From what I've seen, there's a lot of misleading information out there and most people buy HD's simply because everyone else is doing it or because some kid told them they worked great. Of course a kid isn't going to admit that he's a dumbsh!t and bought the wrong shocks, instead he'll praise them and let everyone else waste their money. Send them back and get the right ones, it'll be worth it in the end. Visit Bilstein's website and you'll see that the HD's are a poor choice for compacts unless you plan on towing a boat or filling the car with bricks.

tol4o
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
From what I was told the HD's have the same height like the factory ones but better quality. I wanted to keep the factory height and and I didn't want to drom the car. I don't know what should I do now. I bought them from Bavauto and I don't think I can return them because they have already been installed... I feel sick of this... Any advice?

PS: What about if I drop front factory sport springs? Anyone has them for sale?

cooljess76
05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
You were misinformed. The HD's definately raise the car about an inch. There's a few members that are running HD's with factory Mtech springs. Kinda expensive if you ask me. I just think if you're going to spend that kind of money, you should get exactly what you want and not settle for something else. Where did you buy the Shocks/Struts from? If you clean them up really well, Bilstein has a pretty good reputation for taking care of their customers. I couldn't imagine them giving you a hard time, especially if you're just trading them in for another one of their products. The Sports will work fine with your springs and shouldn't lower your car unless you use lowering springs. They make a touring model shock/strut that is very similar to OEM and is also significantly less expensive. I'd be pissed too, but just consider this a lesson learned and always do a little research in addition to the advice given on these boards. Best of luck to you, with a little patience you'll be very happy with your ride.

tol4o
05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I couldn't get what actually is so expensive - the Mtech springs? How much they are?