PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Pulleys have been Made for the m42/44

Viper3812
05-23-2007, 03:11 AM
http://www.jhy.com.tw/product_list.asp?FkindNo=F000275&SkindNo=S000724&ItemNo=I00000312

hridge06
05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.jhy.com.tw/product_list.asp?FkindNo=F000275&SkindNo=S000724&ItemNo=I00000312

KO sells a set and BavAuto sells a set for the E36. Are you running underdrive pulleys? Wondering how well they work?

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes they sell them, but not for the m42/44. I don't have them, considering it. There is a member on FloridaGerman who is offering them. I think $200.

HuGo
05-27-2007, 01:37 AM
So how much HP can underdrive pulleys produce? Are they same size or smaller than the stock pulleys? Will it raise my boost? if doesnt increase boost and increases HP, im all all there :biggrin:

HuGo
05-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Ok so it says its bigger, and going bigger gives more hp?

I didnt see a price.

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 01:40 AM
From what I know their $200 and I'm guessing 5-7hp?

HuGo
05-27-2007, 01:51 AM
From what I know their $200 and I'm guessing 5-7hp?

5-7hp worth it for 200? Is 7hp noticeable?

Will it raise the boost?

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't know, but it would help. Don't expect mad power.

pdxmotorhead
05-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Underdrive pully's are smaller if on the crank bigger if on the accessories.

A smaller crank pully will spin a DASC faster and give more boost.

Yes you can notice a difference with UD pullies, its not extreme.

Especially useful on our type of motor which turns some of the accessories faster than needed to do their assigned tasks IE alternators don't need to spin 1.5 time the crank speed to charge correctly at 3500 Engine RPM.

Dave

M3_KILL3R
05-27-2007, 07:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Ruff-Pulley-Set-For-E34-E36-E39-E46-E60-M3-Z3-Z4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ017QQitemZ270121701192QQrdZ1

well ebay already got their hands on em

Mad-Machine
05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I really want a set of those...

pnosker
05-27-2007, 07:53 AM
If you guys want a set, I have a relationship with JHY (I wrote about this in my post about the Taipei AMPA). I can get them for $180 shipped to me or something like that.

HuGo
05-27-2007, 08:12 AM
So the underdrive pulley WONT raise my boost? If not, im game.

I cant afford to raise my boost any higher than 10 or else im in the blow your engine danger zone.

HuGo
05-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I call GB!

Any takers?

nuvolarossa
05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
A smaller crank pully will spin a DASC faster and give more boost.
Dave
I'm sorry but this isn't true:rolleyes:
Only two things for raise the boost with a roots supercharger are:
1) BIGGER crank pulley;
2) SMALLER supercharger pulley...
bye

Panzer_M
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
IIRC, Don't some claim underdrive pullys could have a neg effect on a engine?

I remember reading something on BF.c, but since it was referring to a M50B25...I didn't really read too deep into the thread.

mohaughn
05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah. A lot of people seem to think that running underdrive pulleys along with a light weight non-counter balanced flywheel can cause the crank to vibrate itself to pieces on the i6 engines. Something to do with the length of the crank and the way it is balanced. Probably not an issue on the m42 or m44.. I've never seen any hard evidence of something like that. I'd rather go with just lightened pulleys as opposed to underdrive pulleys just because I've never heard of anybody running them on an m42.. But if we can get a GB together for 180+shipping I'm game.

Anybody have any clue on the quality of these things?

Mad-Machine
05-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I call GB!

Any takers?

Me! Can I get them without the black coating? I would rather have a nice brushed aluminum or even something I can polish for a little bling under the hood.

I remember reading something on BF.c, but since it was referring to a M50B25...I didn't really read too deep into the thread.

I ran an underdrive crank pulley on my old hyundai Tiburon, an engine that is known for not being as strong or well built as the M42/44, I ran that pulley for 65,000 miles (put it on at 70,000) and never had a problem

pdxmotorhead
05-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry but this isn't true:rolleyes:
Only two things for raise the boost with a roots supercharger are:
1) BIGGER crank pulley;
2) SMALLER supercharger pulley...
bye

Your right! I was working the opposite problem at the shop when I wrote that.. Oops :redface:

Was trying to slow down an alternator.... Have a 5" crant and a 2.25 alt pulley, it wasn't liking life at the 6500 rpm the engine turns on the straights.

Dave

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM

I read about that. A ltw flywheel and crank pulley combo are bad for the engine. The big downside to the crank pulley is because the dampener is lost with the crank pulley causing the to possibly lose control and blow the engine.

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I was thinking that $200 was a lot for these. UUC sells Underdrive pulleys for $165 I think. Any possibility to get these down to about that price?

Zacki
05-27-2007, 07:32 PM
what if i got the ud pulley, lwt flywheel, and crank pully? any problems on the m44? how much performance increase?

pnosker
05-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I saw these in person (the prototypes). They are the only company that sells them and they call $180.

Viper3812
05-27-2007, 07:55 PM
what if i got the ud pulley, lwt flywheel, and crank pully? any problems on the m44? how much performance increase?

The crank pulley has not been made for the m42/44. That issue has been seen with the m/s-50/52 and I' sure it would be the same with the m42/44. Even if there is a crank pulley it is highly not recommended to have underdrive pulleys and crank pulley at the same time.

Zacki
05-28-2007, 02:16 AM
The crank pulley has not been made for the m42/44. That issue has been seen with the m/s-50/52 and I' sure it would be the same with the m42/44. Even if there is a crank pulley it is highly not recommended to have underdrive pulleys and crank pulley at the same time.

what about ud pulleys and light weight flywheel

Viper3812
05-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. The big problem is the crank pulley and ltw flywheel which are on opposite ends of the crank.

Jean H.318TI
11-01-2007, 08:40 PM
i want the ud pulleys

aceyx
11-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Me! Can I get them without the black coating? I would rather have a nice brushed aluminum or even something I can polish for a little bling under the hood.
They look anodized. A bit of oven cleaner will strip the dyes, leaving both the original aluminum color and whatever protective material is bonded to the surface.

Prada
11-03-2007, 11:10 AM
hello,
Nobody has tried these pulleys?

only JHY produces this items for our M42/44???

in europe there aren't any brand that produces this light pulleys...

excuse my english.
goodbye.

cali-ti
11-03-2007, 02:11 PM
i would potentially be interested.

L84THSKY
11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I've got a LTW flywheel, and would be interested in the UD pulleys. Lets get a group buy .:biggrin:

what about ud pulleys and light weight flywheel

Marv17
11-03-2007, 07:37 PM
i know this may sound like a dumb question, but i dont know much about engine modifications. So....could these pulleys be used on an automatic??

clex2
10-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I know this is an old thread, but apparently VAC sells them for the M42

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalog/vac-underdrive-power-pulley-set---m42-e36-only.htm

mohaughn
10-20-2008, 02:07 AM
I know this is an old thread, but apparently VAC sells them for the M42

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalog/vac-underdrive-power-pulley-set---m42-e36-only.htm

So they are finally showing them for sale? They have said coming soon for a really long time.

crazy_hippo
10-20-2008, 03:30 AM
I have a question regarding changing the crank pulley.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BE52&mospid=47425&btnr=11_1385&hg=11&fg=18

I thought the bulk of the weight is from the harmonic dampener (1) rather than the pulley (2). Thus if item No.2 was replaced with a slightly larger or lighter aluminum pulley, it should not affect the engine right?

clex2
12-06-2008, 07:53 AM
So I went ahead and bought a set for my daily driver 318ti m42. The quality of the pulleys is top notch. They are lighter (machined alloy), anodized black, and are significantly bigger in diameter. I estimate 10-15% at least. The water pump and power steeing pulleys are easy to install with simple hand tools, but the alternator pulley requires removal of the alternator and an impact wrench (thank goodness for Harbor Freight Tools). The pulleys came with the right sized belt (Contitech). Interestingly, for about a day and a half (1.5 round trips to work, 20 miles each way), the idle was erratic, hunting up and down but never stalling. During this time, there were no issues with normal driving. After a day and a half the idle went back to normal. I figure the DME needed to adjust to the reduced parasitic drag on the engine. Seat of the pants dyno indicates slightly more eagerness off the line and at low rpms, and faster pick up when flooring it. There have been no ill effect on the electrical system, steering, or cooling. The lights don't dim at idle even with all the accessories running at the same time. I have heard that there are a few more DASC's available, but it still expensive. I estimate that my m42 is outting out a tad more than 150 hp and 150 ft/lb with the pulleys and Dinan chip (that is is you can believe Dinan's claim if +11 hp and +19 ft/lbs). I was running the Dinan chip before the pulley swap and I feel the pulleys have improved the power of the engine. I know this is all very subjective, and I don't intend to put my daily on a dyno anytime soon, so there will be no graphs to critique. Overall, for $250 and DIY, it's not a bad investment.

Viper3812
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
So I went ahead and bought a set for my daily driver 318ti m42. The quality of the pulleys is top notch. They are lighter (machined alloy), anodized black, and are significantly bigger in diameter. I estimate 10-15% at least. The water pump and power steeing pulleys are easy to install with simple hand tools, but the alternator pulley requires removal of the alternator and an impact wrench (thank goodness for Harbor Freight Tools). The pulleys came with the right sized belt (Contitech). Interestingly, for about a day and a half (1.5 round trips to work, 20 miles each way), the idle was erratic, hunting up and down but never stalling. During this time, there were no issues with normal driving. After a day and a half the idle went back to normal. I figure the DME needed to adjust to the reduced parasitic drag on the engine. Seat of the pants dyno indicates slightly more eagerness off the line and at low rpms, and faster pick up when flooring it. There have been no ill effect on the electrical system, steering, or cooling. The lights don't dim at idle even with all the accessories running at the same time. I have heard that there are a few more DASC's available, but it still expensive. I estimate that my m42 is outting out a tad more than 150 hp and 150 ft/lb with the pulleys and Dinan chip (that is is you can believe Dinan's claim if +11 hp and +19 ft/lbs). I was running the Dinan chip before the pulley swap and I feel the pulleys have improved the power of the engine. I know this is all very subjective, and I don't intend to put my daily on a dyno anytime soon, so there will be no graphs to critique. Overall, for $250 and DIY, it's not a bad investment.

Nice write up, thanks for the input.

spidertri
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm guessing that no one has bought the M44 pulleys from JHY? It appears that they now cost $305, seems like too much to me. Then again, they are the only pulleys I have ever seen for this engine.

Viper3812
02-02-2009, 05:25 AM

Going to be getting a set from VAC soon at discounted price. :)

mohaughn
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Going to be getting a set from VAC soon at discounted price. :)

Hey Viper, can you still get this deal, or have you bought yours yet? I'm going to pick up a set of these. I need to do some maintenance on my car so the alternator needs to come off. Might as well do the pulleys and new belts at the same time.

Shoot me a pm if you can get other folks a deal on these.