PDA

View Full Version : Dinan Transmission Chip?

Meyers318TI
05-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Can someone please tell me more details on this and tell me where to get one? Any info would be awesome.

Tyler
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
You need to go to an authorized BMW/DINAN dealership, only certain ones are certified DINAN installers. All it does is change your shift points. Do a search on it there have been threads about it and also member ROBCARYNC has it installed in his ti.

Viper3812
05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I have it as well in my ti. Like Tyler said, it does change your shift points.

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=14&Chassis=25&Model=35&Class=Driveline%20Tuning#960

BleMW
05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
this appears to be an automatic-transmission only upgrade.. correct?

Viper3812
05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
this appears to be an automatic-transmission only upgrade.. correct?

Yes

Meyers318TI
05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Good I have an auto and changing the shift points would be awesome. How much did you spend? Do you think it was worth it?

Viper3812
05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I bought mine last Summer during their 50% off software sale for $120 shipped. I think they are $200 regularly. I think it was worth it especially for what I paid.

Meyers318TI
05-24-2007, 09:20 PM
That sounds like a good deal. Is this an annual summer sale?

Viper3812
05-24-2007, 09:31 PM
That sounds like a good deal. Is this an annual summer sale?
I think last summer was the first time. It started in June and ended in August, but idk if they will do it again.

Meyers318TI
05-25-2007, 03:34 AM
I sure hope so. But if not 200 is reasonable I think. Not horribly priced. But anyways I can only get it from a Dinan dealer right? Not off their website or some other website?

ATF
05-25-2007, 03:37 AM
I'm curious why people haven't taken these chips and just start copying the data over to blank chips? If all that is being replaced is a chip and no drivers or firmware, what gives?..

Meyers318TI
05-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I have no clue man.

Zacki
05-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm curious why people haven't taken these chips and just start copying the data over to blank chips? If all that is being replaced is a chip and no drivers or firmware, what gives?..

they're for autos, maybe?

ATF
05-26-2007, 05:18 AM
they're for autos, maybe?

So?

pdxmotorhead
05-26-2007, 06:36 AM
I think you'll find the chip won't work without the dealer integrating it to the engine ECU code number. I noticed several of their accessories for the engine and such require coding to activate the change or to allow it...

Dave

Viper3812
05-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I think you'll find the chip won't work without the dealer integrating it to the engine ECU code number. I noticed several of their accessories for the engine and such require coding to activate the change or to allow it...

Dave

That it true, not all of the tranny ecu's have the same numbers.

pdxmotorhead
05-26-2007, 07:17 AM
That and Dinan is a blackbelt in protecting their products. For instance wonder if the service computer at BMW know which car the chip was in??

They might have them coded so they work fine but if the BMW dealer in CA services a car with chip number 4 in it and the next day a dealer in Chicago services a car with the same number,,,, One of the owners get a visit from a guy in dark glasses with a deal for you , tell him where you got the chip and you only have to deal with parole instead of real time,,
they did this with Sat Dishes a few years ago... Of course unless Dinan detected a lot of them they probubly don't care....

Dave (Suspects everyone) :)

angel318ti
05-26-2007, 04:09 PM
That and Dinan is a blackbelt in protecting their products. For instance wonder if the service computer at BMW know which car the chip was in??

They might have them coded so they work fine but if the BMW dealer in CA services a car with chip number 4 in it and the next day a dealer in Chicago services a car with the same number,,,, One of the owners get a visit from a guy in dark glasses with a deal for you , tell him where you got the chip and you only have to deal with parole instead of real time,,
they did this with Sat Dishes a few years ago... Of course unless Dinan detected a lot of them they probubly don't care....

Dave (Suspects everyone) :)

wow, ever seen Conspiracy Theory?

pdxmotorhead
05-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I do high end IT for a living. I've spent too much time in hearings to play the game.... :( Enforcement is virtually random and the penalties are harsh IMHO compared to the scope and impact of the crime.

Have a neighbor just finished up 12 years parole and paying of a 200K fine for distributing the chips for satelite dishes. 12 counts. He was giving the chips away but since he was an installer they claimed profit was made. the nice man in a dark coat showed up at a customers house to find out where the chip came from, gave customer choice of a deal or telling. Then neighbor got choice of 12 years inside or parole if he told who else he gave the chips to. All the customers got 12 months and 10K fine....

Ouch.

Dave