PDA

View Full Version : Motor-oil and Antifreeze mix.

BMW_Hatchback
05-28-2007, 11:55 PM
My father's 1989 BMW 525i broke down this past weekend. We looked at it, and there was oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. We know this is a major issue, does anyone know the cause and/or solution to this issue? This valve started ticking a while ago, a few people told me we the only issue with that was that it will only waste more gas. Let me know

weezer
05-29-2007, 12:22 AM
My father's 1989 BMW 525i broke down this past weekend. We looked at it, and there was oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. We know this is a major issue, does anyone know the cause and/or solution to this issue? This valve started ticking a while ago, a few people told me we the only issue with that was that it will only waste more gas. Let me know

Ouch!! That "usually" means the head gasket has failed. But, to be really sure a qualified mechanic will have to determine that issue.
Good Luck with it.

larryn
05-29-2007, 12:24 AM

You have serious problems. Sounds like a rear main seal or head gasket, but could be from anywhere. Your block has coolant flowing through it to cool the internals, and oil running through different areas as lubricant. The engine block has metallic walls between these areas, and seals between places that they could come in contact with each other. Somewhere that seal got breached on your dad's car.

Do not drive it this way, of you'll seize the block. Oil mixed with water cannot lubricate the engine effectively, and the pistons will overheat and weld themselves to the cylinder walls, making it a large paperweight.

Have it towed somewhere to find out how the two fluids are getting contaminated.

BMW_Hatchback
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Thank you to you both, it's going to take about 1500 to fix and replace. We are debating if it's worth it because we have quite a few cars to care for. Thank you all for your insight!:cool: ....I hope we don't have to part the car off...:confused:

pdxmotorhead
05-29-2007, 03:53 PM
1500 is the starting number, you won't really know till its apart how much will need replaced. I'd consider a low mile long block if you can find one.

Dave

BMW_Hatchback
05-30-2007, 01:28 AM
1500 is the starting number, you won't really know till its apart how much will need replaced. I'd consider a low mile long block if you can find one.

Dave

Yeah 1500 it is. We might have it replaced, if I can come up with some money to contribute. Thanks for everything Bimmer heads!:wink: