PDA

View Full Version : just so everyone knows. (e30 shafts).

cosmos schwarz
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
if you car is lowered you DO need e30 halfshafts when installing a larger 188mm lsd or diff.

yes, ti shafts fit but not very well and because there is no margin for movement i would say it could cause severe damage.

at the moment i have used the ti flanges and halfshafts. on full lock and slow speeds there is vibration at the rear. today i ordered re-manufactured e30 shafts and they only cost £95 each. so its worth getting it done.

larryn
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks. I asked this question in your other diff thread. At least we know now. Time to source some more e30 parts before putting it in next weekend.

L84THSKY
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I didn't notice any problems when I had stock halfshafts with my 3.46 LSD.

cosmos schwarz
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
whats the rear drop in mm on your car? were the shafts on an angle or perfectly straight (inline with each other). if they are straight, the longer shafts will eventually brake or cause damage to the cv joints. trust me, with the ti shafts squeezed in, where has all that movement gone? if you hit a big pothole or do excessive driving on bumpy roads somethings gonna go.

i'm just trying to help people here. i strongly advise its not safe, especially me who does the occasional trackday.
my advice, take it or leave it.

L84THSKY
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
It seems there are few variables involved. My car is lowered, can't say for sure how much. Cali-Ti had problems just mounting the diff, drive shaft was not mating up. I really don't remember if the halfshafts wer parallel or not. I did eventually swap to reman E30 halfshafts.

whats the rear drop in mm on your car? were the shafts on an angle or perfectly straight (inline with each other). if they are straight, the longer shafts will eventually brake or cause damage to the cv joints. trust me, with the ti shafts squeezed in, where has all that movement gone? if you hit a big pothole or do excessive driving on bumpy roads somethings gonna go.

i'm just trying to help people here. i strongly advise its not safe, especially me who does the occasional trackday.
my advice, take it or leave it.

larryn
06-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I think I'm going to have issues one way or another. Currently, with the S52 motor installed, the driveshaft is sourced from an M Roadster. They kept the stock 3.45:1 diff at the time. That may or may not cause issues for me when I am replacing with the lsd.

I was originally planning on installing a new e30 bushing kit on my 'ti half shafts. I am now thinking I should just get the complete E30 half shafts.

I am lowered by probably 1.5"-2" in the rear. I really need the geometry of the rear to remain in tact, as I'm running very wide tires on 17x9's on the track. I defintiely have no room to move anything either inboard or outboard, wheel-wise.

One weird thing is that this car has 40,000 miles on it since the S52 was installed, and that stock open diff is rock solid still. Also, this S52 has an intake, exhaust, power pulley, and Turner chip. So, it's putting out double the output of the stock 318ti motor. That's a true testiment to the longevity and built quality of the stock open diff internals!

Thanks for the info, Cosmos.

cosmos schwarz
06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
It seems there are few variables involved. My car is lowered, can't say for sure how much. Cali-Ti had problems just mounting the diff, drive shaft was not mating up. I really don't remember if the halfshafts wer parallel or not. I did eventually swap to reman E30 halfshafts.

best way mate for a piece of mind. your driving probably aint as aggressive as mine but the amount of time and $$$$'s you put in to your car its better to be safe than sorry.

cosmos schwarz
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I think I'm going to have issues one way or another. Currently, with the S52 motor installed, the driveshaft is sourced from an M Roadster. They kept the stock 3.45:1 diff at the time. That may or may not cause issues for me when I am replacing with the lsd.

I was originally planning on installing a new e30 bushing kit on my 'ti half shafts. I am now thinking I should just get the complete E30 half shafts.

I am lowered by probably 1.5"-2" in the rear. I really need the geometry of the rear to remain in tact, as I'm running very wide tires on 17x9's on the track. I defintiely have no room to move anything either inboard or outboard, wheel-wise.

One weird thing is that this car has 40,000 miles on it since the S52 was installed, and that stock open diff is rock solid still. Also, this S52 has an intake, exhaust, power pulley, and Turner chip. So, it's putting out double the output of the stock 318ti motor. That's a true testiment to the longevity and built quality of the stock open diff internals!

Thanks for the info, Cosmos.

driveshaft ,or propshaft, wont make any difference as long as its sized for a compact. all the e30, z3, ti diffs are the same length from the subframe mounting bolts to the driveshaft coupling. the differences are the length from the subframe mounting bolts to the rear of the diff (diff cover end) hence needing to do a bit of grinding or hammering, and the width, hence the need to change the halfshafts. when doing your swap and you change to shorter e30 halfshafts there will be no change to the rear track. there wouldnt be anyway, if you stayed with the std ti shafts, so that shows how much strain they would be under.

Mad-Machine
06-06-2007, 02:45 AM
so the stock E30 half shafts fit right in with no modifications?

L84THSKY
06-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Yup, I have E30 halfshafts and a 188mm 3.46LSD case.

so the stock E30 half shafts fit right in with no modifications?

ranster
07-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Doesnt make sense. E30 halfshafts are longer than the TI.
the only issue i encounter is the grooved side of the TI output flanges compared to the E30 which is shorter but still beefier enough to stick in.

- both flanges stick out from the diff exactly the same lenght.
- the groove for the locking circlip in the TI output flanges is located about 3/4 from output flange end. in E30 output flanges it's in the end of it. not actually a problem cause u can just push it all the way in.

so, basically, E30 halfshaft are longer and will handle bigger stress than the original Ti's

L84THSKY
07-28-2007, 04:49 AM
This debate has run it's course a very long time ago.

The E30 flanges are longer, but the E30 diff is wider, so the shafts can stick in deeper. You can't compare how much the Ti flange sticks out, to the E30 flange, it doesn't work like that. It is true that E30 flanges will go in deeper than Ti flanges in an E30 diff, but isn't that obvious from comparing flanges?

Use the E30 flanges in 188mm large case diffs.

Doesnt make sense. E30 halfshafts are longer than the TI.
the only issue i encounter is the grooved side of the TI output flanges compared to the E30 which is shorter but still beefier enough to stick in.

- both flanges stick out from the diff exactly the same lenght.
- the groove for the locking circlip in the TI output flanges is located about 3/4 from output flange end. in E30 output flanges it's in the end of it. not actually a problem cause u can just push it all the way in.

so, basically, E30 halfshaft are longer and will handle bigger stress than the original Ti's

ranster
07-28-2007, 10:20 AM
My mistake :redface:
e30 halfshafts are shorter than the TI.

anyhow, i finally went with E30 flanges and halfshafts.