PDA

View Full Version : ECU Flying 2 Florida

HuGo
06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Well guys. My ECU leaves this afternoon to Florida to get tuned.

I just want to double check that the gray box that says DME on it is the same thing as ECU just different names for it?

I cant freaking wait! :biggrin:

pnosker
06-05-2007, 09:20 PM
That's the ECU

HuGo
06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
IM F*CKING PISSED!!!!

Nick called me and said he couldnt flash it because my ECU hasnt been updated ever since it came out of the factory. That would be in 1996. So i wasted money in shipping alone to send it and get it back. He said he can get a friend/time for him to take it to the dealer himself then for him to program it but it could take a week. And with the socal ti Meet that is coming up im not taking that chance so i said ill get it back take it to the dealer, then send it back to him again. Where im lost is, isnt he already going to reprogram it? Why does he need it updated if hes reprogramming it anyways.

So i called the dealer and i simply asked "How much would it cost for you guys to update my ECU" then the guy was asking me a billion questions as to why i need it updated and bla bla bla....So then i got pissed off and told him, "Dont worry about what im doing, im simply asking how much would it cost to update it THATS IT. Dont worry about why i need it or why i want it or what my plans with it or not. Your gonna get paid for the damn work now tell me how much it costs to update the damn ecu." Anyway, he said it would be $130. By the dealer updating the ECU, what do they have to do or update? Whens the last time BMW updated their systems?

TIA.

larryn
06-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Hugo, software updates, including flashing the ECU, expect there ot be a consistant baseline of code to add onto. Since your car has the factory programming, it's too old of a version to be able to update with the flash that you sent it to get done.

This is not dissimilar to wanting your Win95 box to get upgraded to Vista. Even if your computer was capable of running Vista, there's no direct upgrade path.

DustenT
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Huh, that sucks. It sounds like your factory ECU is missing a critical update. Oh well, Nick will take care of you. Remember, it's not HIS fault, so don't piss him off...

:)

1996 328ti
06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Remember, it's not HIS fault, so don't piss him off...

:)+1

HuGo
06-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Huh, that sucks. It sounds like your factory ECU is missing a critical update. Oh well, Nick will take care of you. Remember, it's not HIS fault, so don't piss him off...

:)

I was pissed about the situation, not about him. Then the guy from bmw was giving me hard a time. Then a lot of BS was going on at work as well. Im kool now.