PDA

View Full Version : Rear M Roadster Bilstein Sports work?

larryn
06-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Hi, I have a friend giving me his rear bilstein sport shocks and race springs from his M Roadster that only have 4000 miles on them. I searched and only saw one person mention them, when they mentioned they are also installing the M rear sway.

I know I'll have to get the reinforcement plates or I'll tear the rear shock mounts to pieces.

What's the chances that these will fit?

Thanks!

DustenT
06-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi, I have a friend giving me his rear bilstein sport shocks and race springs from his M Roadster that only have 4000 miles on them. I searched and only saw one person mention them, when they mentioned they are also installing the M rear sway.

I know I'll have to get the reinforcement plates or I'll tear the rear shock mounts to pieces.

What's the chances that these will fit?

Thanks!

Rears will work, fronts will not.

mohaughn
06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm guessing that you don't mean a '07 Z4 m-roadster.

They fit... The only difference on the rear of our car vs m-coupe/roadster is the subframe, trailing arms, hubs, brakes. They are all just a bit beefier and have some extra reinforcements. But the connecting points and measurements are all pretty much identical.

I use the Ireland Engineering rear shock mount reinforcement plates. I have 500# TcKline springs in the rear and no problems so far.

A good site for learning about the rear suspension on the Ti, and similarities to other cars.
http://e30m3performance.com/now_showing/m-coupe-arms/index.htm

Also a good way to find out how to blow a few grand on your car.

larryn
06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Rears will work, fronts will not.

Thanks Dusten! I'm stoked now. Diff and rear suspension all in one day.

larryn
06-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks mohaughn. Yeah, I meant a 98 M Roadster.

I found that site a few weeks ago (I think from one of your other posts possibly). Since I only bought the car 3 weeks ago, I've read so much, that I've forgotten most of it. Just like in school again! ;)

clex2
06-13-2007, 02:30 AM
I have stock BMW M-coupe shocks on my ti. The difference is that the Mcoupe shock is beefier (thicker). I could imaging if you were running wide rear tires, they might rub the protective boot (like >245mm).

larryn
06-13-2007, 02:39 AM
I have wider-than-normal 255's on with a pretty agressive roll on the fenders. They didn't rub on the inside, so I didn't climb under to see how much room is there.

I just did that now. I have about 7/8"-1" of space between the tire and the 'ti Bilstein sport shock on it right now. So, unless the M variant is >1 3/4" wider in diameter than my current Bilsteins, I'm good.