PDA

View Full Version : Selector Rod Slips out of Gearbox

zboot
06-23-2007, 02:15 AM
So, I've got a MT 98 ti and about an hour ago, the rod extending under the ball joint from the shift lever slipped out of the selector fork. This actually may have started earlier today, when on my way to lunch, I lost the ability to shift into reverse. Also, the shifter was weirdly mobile, but I was still able to get around. Then after getting home, I needed to go out again which is when the whole thing finally went to shreds.

On the upside, as I was removing the shift boot and everything to inspect the possible damage, I noticed that the 4AWG wire coming from my battery positive (which I assume powered some aftermarket unit the previous owner had in the car) was not really terminated. It just was cut and resting under the center console. This was brought to my attention when a slight shifting of that wire resulted in sparking sounds and then smoke. Luckily, that was a quick fix (disconnecting at the battery) and my car didn't go up in smoke.

Anyway, called a friend of mine, we towed it to where I work (where we have oodles of tools etc) and more than likely tomorrow we'll take a look and hopefully it will be an easy fix. And tonight, since I'm car-less and don't need to be the DD, I will attempt to get sloshed off my ass.

zboot
06-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I've attached a picture of the problem.

Pretty much the selector rod had broken around the point marked in red. I was able to get both pieces out. A rod was inserted into the selector rod (which was hollow) to add strength and the two welded back together. After putting it back into my car, everything works as before. I can shift into all gears including reverse and the weird play from the shifter is gone.

Ji Money
06-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a plan. Get crunk get crunk...!

No seriously though, sounds like you can fix it up since you have the tools. I'm stupid when it comes to fixing cars so I could't even analyze your problem.

Ji Money
06-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I read your second post. Problem solved. Very nice.

zboot
06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
LoL - I did however get crunked up. I even got a kiss from a girl as we were leaving the club which topped off a pretty good night for me.

Ji Money
06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
That does sound like a good night. I on the other hand went to a strip joint, got too crunk, puked and slept in my car, again.