PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP on rear spring install!!!

connecticutti
07-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Alright, so I didn't sell my ti, and I have H&R race's with stretched tires on M contours. I've got the front springs in and with the stock tires it sits real nice and rides good. I was trying to put the rears in today and what a pain in the moth$%@#%$@#$ as#@$@ole. Anybody have any tips on putting these springs in besides disconnecting the final drive from each side to drop the trailing arms lower. This may actually be the first job that breaks forces me to buy air tools, even after building a Mustang with old school ratchet power. Thanks for any help!

L84THSKY
07-01-2007, 01:34 AM
I recall the rear springs being very easy. Mine are BavAuto springs, but what's the difference. I just unbolted the bottom of the shock, and used a breaker bar to pop out the springs.

Alright, so I didn't sell my ti, and I have H&R race's with stretched tires on M contours. I've got the front springs in and with the stock tires it sits real nice and rides good. I was trying to put the rears in today and what a pain in the moth$%@#%$@#$ as#@$@ole. Anybody have any tips on putting these springs in besides disconnecting the final drive from each side to drop the trailing arms lower. This may actually be the first job that breaks forces me to buy air tools, even after building a Mustang with old school ratchet power. Thanks for any help!

larryn
07-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Yeah, they are simple. Have the car on jack stands in back, then just put a jack on the control arm, undo the bottom shock bolt, lower the jack, and the springs can be pulled right out. I have 3 sets of springs and can change them in 15 minutes.

al95ti
07-01-2007, 01:53 AM
You can unbolt the sway bar links... the suspension will drop even lower and then pry the springs out with a pry bar... IMO the rear is easy as pie :wink:

connecticutti
07-01-2007, 02:42 AM
I even compressed the rear spring and couldnt get it out. I am going to the shop in a little bit to try and finish the job, maybe a little bit of sway bar, maybe a little bit of breaker bar but I'm getting those springs out. Thanks for the replies.

cooljess76
07-01-2007, 03:02 AM
disconnect the lower shock bolt and swaybar link, then release the e-brake! If it still won't drop down far enough, have a friend jerk on the spring while you step on the brake rotor. (I bet it's because the e-brake is engaged though)

connecticutti
07-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks a lot for all the help, headed to the shop right after reading those posts, let off the e-brake!, disconnected the sway bar and popped the springs out and in, had the car on the ground in about 20 minutes. Thanks again, hopefully this helps someone else out someday, don't listen to the Bentley manual!!!

cooljess76
07-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah, After stripping one of the bolts on my passenger side axle, I figured there had to be a better way than the manual described. It figures that it was the last bolt holding the axle on too, anyway I put the other bolts back in and I hope I never have to take it apart again, lol.

FWIW, to anyone reading this and planning to DIY spring swap, don't listen to the Bentley! There's no need to diconnect your driveshaft or axles. Just keep a jack handy to support the weight of the trailing arm and you'll be fine. And make sure that the e-brake is off!

L84THSKY
07-01-2007, 05:31 AM
To be honest, I have almost never read my Bentley manual. The best advice is to listen to what people have done, prior to doing the job. As far as swapping my rear springs, I just looked at the situation, and removed what seemed logical.:smile:

Yeah, After stripping one of the bolts on my passenger side axle, I figured there had to be a better way than the manual described. It figures that it was the last bolt holding the axle on too, anyway I put the other bolts back in and I hope I never have to take it apart again, lol.

FWIW, to anyone reading this and planning to DIY spring swap, don't listen to the Bentley! There's no need to diconnect your driveshaft or axles. Just keep a jack handy to support the weight of the trailing arm and you'll be fine. And make sure that the e-brake is off!

cooljess76
07-01-2007, 05:59 AM
To be honest, I have almost never read my Bentley manual. The best advice is to listen to what people have done, prior to doing the job. As far as swapping my rear springs, I just looked at the situation, and removed what seemed logical.:smile:
Same here:tongue: I disconnected the swaybar link and the lower shock mounting bolt, but forgot to release the e-brake. So when the thing didn't drop down all the way and it seemed like prying harder was going to break something, I refered to the manual. Usually, I'm a "dive into it" kinda guy. I've started simple tasks and before I realized it I had my car almost completely dissassemled for something totaly different than what I initially set out to do, lol. Manuals are a last resort, I'd prefer advice from someone with experience any day.