PDA

View Full Version : gettin rid of the intake manifold?

08-03-2007, 03:20 AM
i have a m42, the whole intake system just looks like it sucks. is there a way to replace it with somthing, maybe a 325/328 intake manifold with 2 runners chopped or ITBs from a m3 or anything like that?

if nothing else id like to get rid of the air flow meter and tune it with somthing else

ATF
08-03-2007, 03:43 AM
You could slap a DASC on the top :)

Otherwise I haven't seen much about replacing the Intake Mani or the AFM.

08-03-2007, 03:46 AM
seriously those superchargers are the lamest thing ever, ive owned to many turbo 4cyl to blow 3k+ on one of those, maybe if they were $500

im sorta planning a custom turbo kit, a local did one on his 318i

08-03-2007, 03:50 AM
just so you know its not crazy...

Philly
08-03-2007, 05:53 AM
just so you know its not crazy...

so your asking what then?

aceyx
08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Those throttle bodies are made by Dell'Orto (pretty much THE carb manufacturer) but carry a BMW badge . . . meaning they're probably from a K1200R or one of their other bikes.

In any event, it's a good place to start. I can't read the part number exactly but it looks like 1406378D.

Mallard
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
s14 itb´s or motorbike itbs could work,

Dbilas intake system is also another option.

i think you may need to run an `ms´ type fuel ststem though

316i compact
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Getttin rid of the intake manifold, is the best bet for big power gains. it is the weak point of the engine. But i have seen nothing about this, except this....but it is still using itbs

mohaughn
08-03-2007, 05:50 PM
You'll spend just as much getting that dbilas system or any other custom ITB setup as you would on the DASC. And the DASC will give you more power.

Supercharging is the best bang for the buck.. MM has a custom intake that they use on their cars and with over 8k in engine work done it is still just a little above DASC power range.

DustenT
08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
seriously those superchargers are the lamest thing ever, ive owned to many turbo 4cyl to blow 3k+ on one of those, maybe if they were $500

im sorta planning a custom turbo kit, a local did one on his 318i

:rolleyes:

DocDuvi
08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
hmm webber ti ha this brings back memories from my VW years!

08-04-2007, 03:40 AM
no seriously i could build a nice custom turbo kit for 3300 and get some suspension and wheels, that supercharger is not even a option to me.

im looking to upgrade the intake manifold with somthing like a 325/328 intake with 2 runners cut off and a larger air sensor meter or get rid of it

mohaughn
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
If you can fabricate you can always build something considerably cheaper than you can buy it in kit form. But you end up investing a lot more time.

08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
paying to have a manifold fabricated is easy, the rest is just plumbing of air and oil and taking care of fuel and spark, which im looking into a megasquirt. so far ive custom turbo'd 4 cars but this will be more challanging because im not as familiar with bmw's yet. in the end it will be cheaper and make more power then a dasc i already know that. the good thing about a dasc its it seems to weak to do any real damage. i quik scan through the dyno numbers post on here showed alot of low numbers, honestly id be very angry if i paid 3300+ and made that power. i know its not the same but just this spring i put together a turbo kit from scvanged parts (spent about $700) and my 140hp dohc non-vtec honda motor made 247whp @ 12psi

does anyone know of a larger afm thats plug and play or can be re wierd etc.. to work with our motors?

AE86
08-05-2007, 01:07 AM
bro whats the point of putting a lot of power to the wheels of a piece of crap (any stock honda or acura). even a RWD 318 would be useless with a turbo. the point of a supercharger is that it doesn't hinder the control of the car as much. superchargers are expensive, its simple.

i never got the point of doing a project like that, besides mechanical practice. a 240whp honda would still get its ass kicked by any 4-ton mercedes, and even on the corners! and the project turbo helps eliminate honda's only claim to fame.. bulletproof reliablity.

unless its a saab or volvo, turbo is stupid, and those cars are junk anyways...

DustenT
08-05-2007, 04:21 AM
p i know its not the same but just this spring i put together a turbo kit from scvanged parts (spent about $700) and my 140hp dohc non-vtec honda motor made 247whp @ 12psi

I did the same thing in high school to my '95 Civic EX (D16 with a TD04H), there is absolutely zero similarities between the two besides that they are both 4 cylinder cars. It sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands to work on things like this (I did too in high school :cool:) and it sounds like you are ambitious. I hope you actually follow through with this. Let us know how it goes. There are others that have tried this before, it you are polite they might chime in with some of the lessons they've learned.

And for what it's worth...My DASC'd 318ti kicks the crap out of pretty much anything on the street. While you are building your junk yard turbo'd bimmer I'll be driving mine. :tongue: Figure out what your time is worth (you could be dating girls instead of fabbing up a turbo) and figure that into the cost of your project. The DASC takes about 10 hours to install, so time over 10 hours starts narrowing the gap between your project and the DASC.

The m44 doesn't have forged internals and custom software is extremely expensive. MS is nice, but the knowledge of it with BMWs is limited, check the FI section on bf.c for more information. The differential can only handle about 200 hp before letting loose, and that includes the LSD version. As you've probably found, there is no way to replace the factory MAF without buying expensive tuning.

Believe it or not this subject have pretty much been discussed to death. I have a fairly extensive background in performance cars (not an expert by any means) and my honest opinion is if you want a quick, reliable, unique automobile you can't beat a 318ti with the DASC. Turbos are great but being limited to 10psi sucks (remember...non-forged internals), what's the point of waiting for the turbo to spool if it's only going to hit with 220hp max? I say enjoy the car by driving it, not working on it.

Good luck with this, let us all know how it goes!!

96cali
08-05-2007, 06:10 AM
My head is spinning at the number of outlandish rude comments you just layed on a new member who is proposing something new. Care to explain yourself oh-wise-one-with-10-posts or apologize and shut up? He's not a fan of SC- so what? Let him build a custom turbo and post the results. :mad:

bro whats the point of putting a lot of power to the wheels of a piece of crap (any stock honda or acura). even a RWD 318 would be useless with a turbo. the point of a supercharger is that it doesn't hinder the control of the car as much. superchargers are expensive, its simple.

i never got the point of doing a project like that, besides mechanical practice. a 240whp honda would still get its ass kicked by any 4-ton mercedes, and even on the corners! and the project turbo helps eliminate honda's only claim to fame.. bulletproof reliablity.

unless its a saab or volvo, turbo is stupid, and those cars are junk anyways...

96cali
08-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Last night I had the very good fortune to drive a well sorted out 318ti with DASC, Nick G. Stage 3 software, 10psi pulley, M3 clutch/fly, LSD and a lot of other nice upgrades. 203 whp. It was a whole 'nother experience and with as much power as it had it was still very controllable and comfortable at all speeds/rpms. DASC + Nick G #3 will run you close to $4000 yes but I just wanted you to hear another firsthand experience.

DustinT- have you had your car dyno'd?

I did the same thing in high school to my '95 Civic EX (D16 with a TD04H), there is absolutely zero similarities between the two besides that they are both 4 cylinder cars. It sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands to work on things like this (I did too in high school :cool:) and it sounds like you are ambitious. I hope you actually follow through with this. Let us know how it goes. There are others that have tried this before, it you are polite they might chime in with some of the lessons they've learned.

And for what it's worth...My DASC'd 318ti kicks the crap out of pretty much anything on the street. While you are building your junk yard turbo'd bimmer I'll be driving mine. :tongue: Figure out what your time is worth (you could be dating girls instead of fabbing up a turbo) and figure that into the cost of your project. The DASC takes about 10 hours to install, so time over 10 hours starts narrowing the gap between your project and the DASC.

The m44 doesn't have forged internals and custom software is extremely expensive. MS is nice, but the knowledge of it with BMWs is limited, check the FI section on bf.c for more information. The differential can only handle about 200 hp before letting loose, and that includes the LSD version. As you've probably found, there is no way to replace the factory MAF without buying expensive tuning.

Believe it or not this subject have pretty much been discussed to death. I have a fairly extensive background in performance cars (not an expert by any means) and my honest opinion is if you want a quick, reliable, unique automobile you can't beat a 318ti with the DASC. Turbos are great but being limited to 10psi sucks (remember...non-forged internals), what's the point of waiting for the turbo to spool if it's only going to hit with 220hp max? I say enjoy the car by driving it, not working on it.

Good luck with this, let us all know how it goes!!

mohaughn
08-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I did the same thing in high school to my '95 Civic EX (D16 with a TD04H), there is absolutely zero similarities between the two besides that they are both 4 cylinder cars.

And how reliable are those hondas with otherwise stock motors putting down 270HP? I know I've seen a few blow up at the drag strip and I always have the misfortune of getting behind one on the highway that is spewing oil out of their tailpipe...

If you can get 270hp out of an m42 or m44 don't expect the stock motor to last that long.. I'm sure somebody on here will have a used engine you can pick up for cheap. So far I've seen at least 3 318 motors killed at the hands of DIY turbo projects. And then I've seen it done properly once and the car is putting down 280+ hp... But it was not a junkyard build and cost well over $5k in engine work alone, not counting fabrication.

cooljess76
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
My head is spinning at the number of outlandish rude comments you just layed on a new member who is proposing something new. Care to explain yourself oh-wise-one-with-10-posts or apologize and shut up? He's not a fan of SC- so what? Let him build a custom turbo and post the results. :mad:
+1, nothing wrong with being different and creative. 7808, if you could pull this off, you're the man and I definitely want a writeup. People have tried it before and then lost interest. Although the DASC has been tried and tested and many 318ti owners are satisfied, I agree that 4 grand is waaaay too much money to blow on 200hp. A motor swap would be a better alternative and then you'ld have plenty of room to grow. Pushing a 4 banger to produce 200+rwhp is cool, but you can't expect it to last as long as say an m50 or s50 that could easily put down that kinda power for much less. Then when you outgrow the power (which you most likely will) you could turbocharge that motor (400+hp) and kill anything that moves. Your tranny will hold up fine against the increased power and torque, but the clutch, flywheel & rearend will probably buckle. No worries though, e30/Mcoupe/Z3 LSD's/halfshafts/axles are readily available and can be purchased for a couple hundred bucks and then rebuilt for a little more if you're inclined. Don't be discouraged by other people's negativity and inability to see outside of the BMW bubble. Turbo that m42. If it blows up, salvage what you can and drop a m50 in there. Best of luck to you.

DustenT
08-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Last night I had the very good fortune to drive a well sorted out 318ti with DASC, Nick G. Stage 3 software, 10psi pulley, M3 clutch/fly, LSD and a lot of other nice upgrades. 203 whp. It was a whole 'nother experience and with as much power as it had it was still very controllable and comfortable at all speeds/rpms. DASC + Nick G #3 will run you close to $4000 yes but I just wanted you to hear another firsthand experience.

DustinT- have you had your car dyno'd?

Glad to hear you got to experience one, and glad to hear you liked it. Some people get so caught up in the numbers and that's all they focus on.

I haven't had mine dyno'd yet, haven't really had a need for it. Maybe this fall I will if I can get in on a group dyno day.

DustenT
08-06-2007, 08:32 PM
In case the OP is still around, talk to this guy: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17447

One more reason to stick with a supercharger, no boost spikes!

mohaughn
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM
So far I've seen at least 3 318 motors killed at the hands of DIY turbo projects.

Make that 4.. :) Although, what happened to him could probably happen to anybody that is using a vacuum operated wastegate. Had that not occured he would have been fine at 9psi. But you will not get even close to 240whp at 9psi.

pdxmotorhead
08-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Make that 4.. :) Although, what happened to him could probably happen to anybody that is using a vacuum operated wastegate. Had that not occured he would have been fine at 9psi. But you will not get even close to 240whp at 9psi.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,
the first thing you buy is a engine management system.
Then the turbo.

A good ECU will allow you to cut fuel and spark on a over-boost.
A good blow off valve with ECU activation allows you to dump the
boost electronically to prevent damage....

You can have it cheap, good, or fast they seldom come as a package,.,.. :biggrin:

Dave

roadrash
08-07-2007, 06:09 AM
You can have it cheap, good, or fast they seldom come as a package
I've always heard it as "You can have cheap, good, or fast... pick any two."

:D

08-08-2007, 01:52 AM
thanks for the comments, i know its a whole differnt deal from a honda. but in my mind paying 4k for 200hp is out of the question, just not worth it at all. i would just throw a m50 or somthin in it before id pay that.

ya id rather be dating girls or whatever too, most the time lol. its not like a turbo kit has to be the only thing going on in your life, and i have aother cars/motorcycles to ride.

its not impossible, i have friends that weld, and that have worked with megasquirt before.

so whats the big problem with turbo'ing these? is it just the people that own them or what, am i wrong or does it just seem like a few stingy people know how to edit roms for bmw ecu's and they choose to bundle tunes with parts in these "stage" kits? and thats why its hard to get hold of decent engine managment?

also i do not have a m44, i have a m42, my car is not a 318ti, although i was buying one once thats when i registered here. i now have a 318i i picked up real cheap