PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise

318ti Coupe
08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a loud whining sound that seems to be coming from the belt pulleys area. The noise comes on after about 15 minutes of the car being on when it heats up, and becomes noisier as the engine gets hotter, and then it stays constant like that for however long I drive til I turn off the car and let it cool down.
It goes away for a couple seconds as I take off from a stand still from 1st gear into 2nd then comes back. I can also hear it dying down for about 3-5 seconds when I turn off the car. I've replaced the belts and the noise is still there. I've sprayed some WD-40 on all the belts and pulleys and it seemed to eliminate the noise for a while.

And yeh...

Can anyone help?

JPerfect
08-22-2007, 05:25 PM
If it stays on when nothing in the engine is moving, my guess would be a vacuum leak.

318ti Coupe
08-23-2007, 04:45 AM
I've sprayed some WD-40 on all the belts and pulleys and it seemed to eliminate the noise for a while..

318ti Coupe
08-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I forgot to mention that I replaced the hose that was going into the crank case vent valve and that's when the noise started happening, after I had turned on the car and let it heat up it started doing that noise and continues to do that noise til present.

1996 328ti
08-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Tensioner?

Jean H.318TI
08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
dude dont do anything else just try this when the car is making the noise open the oil filler cap with the engine running and if the sound stop ur problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve, trust me i change everything, belts, alternator, water pump, all the tensioner and pulleys everything, and all the problem was that lil thing

1996 328ti
08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
dude dont do anything else just try this when the car is making the noise open the oil filler cap with the engine running and if the sound stop ur problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve, trust me i change everything, belts, alternator, water pump, all the tensioner and pulleys everything, and all the problem was that lil thingWon't removing the oil filler cap cause a rough idle? After changing my oil AND forgetting to replace my cap, the car ran very rough at idle. Couldn't that also throw a CEL?

Jean H.318TI
08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
dude is just to make sure that the problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve after that u can put the cap again and the sound will come back.

losichu
08-26-2007, 09:33 PM
if the crankcase vent valve has gone bad, the idle will not change when you take off the cap, hence proving its faliure. Pulling the cap off will not do anything bad to your car, just don't let anything fall in there while the car is on. The whining noise will also go away when you pull the cap off if that is the noise that you are hearing. Alot of these have been going bad over the past 8 months.

318ti Coupe
08-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks man, I tried what you both said and the sound immediately went but came back when I put the cap back on. Thanks a lot!

Jean H.318TI
08-27-2007, 03:35 AM
nice dude now u only need that valve but for now u can disconect the house that go to the top of the engine and seal the house, let the exit from the engine open

Jean H.318TI
08-27-2007, 03:36 AM
sory dude not house my bad is hose

318ti Coupe
08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
I replaced the CCVV and the car has literally never run better. No more idle surges, shaking of the car, even the acceleration is quicker. Thanks again.

Jean H.318TI
08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
no problem dude

oakley
08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Humm i have a rough idle on and off, occasional probs starting when the car is warm..is it worth replacing this part anyways as it seemed to have made a big difference to u prev guys? How easy is it to replace?

Jean H.318TI
08-31-2007, 07:21 PM
is easy like 20 min max

losichu
09-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Just be warned, it may only be two screws, but your hands will cramp up from the position of those screws. Its nothing difficult but it does take some time to get the hang of how to screw and unscrew the part. Definitely well worth replacing.

steve318ti
09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Can be the rust?

Jean H.318TI
09-03-2007, 05:14 PM
dont know need more details

oakley
09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Anyone know the part number?

Bloodrunsdry
09-09-2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1562&hg=11&fg=15

part # 11157501567

oakley
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Cool cheers chap i searched but couldnt work out what sub heading it would come under! Ta
Further to that it mentions the part then +core charge...whats that about? Do I need to get something else when I buy the part??

Bloodrunsdry
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Core charge is something auto places put on parts. usualy you can bring your old part in and they wont charge for it. But I dont think they would ask for the PCV/CCVV back. So no you dont need to buy something else just that part and you will be fine.

oakley
09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Is it normal for the hose that goes to the ccvv to be full of black crap!!??? I cleaned out as much as I could...

losichu
09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I would just replace the hose, they tend to get brittle and have leaks. Only a $20 part or so

oakley
09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah i prob will or wash it out when i get a chance..Just wondered if it was normal..it was just black gunk..whole part stank of fuel so guess it was just carbon/fuel build up...

M3_KILL3R
09-17-2007, 10:15 PM
hey guys i dont want to steal the thread but i dont have a rough idle or anything but i have a really loud ticking noise...comes from the top of the engines near the end. Toward the driver and some more ticking from the radiator. is this really an issue? i tried the oil filler cap ...made my car idle surge so its not the CCVV

NeoP
12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
OMG, :eek:
it was a hell of unscrewing it. Had the same noise quite loud, after replacing the CCVV it is nearly gone (can hear it only if you shut down your stereo and the a/c and listen while tipping the throttle - so if i would not know the noise, i would now never have gone mad about it). :wink:

Good investment! Sadly, or surprisingly, mine was absolutely clean! :confused:

What ever... :biggrin:

Kaliimc
12-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Question on the noise, near the CCVV was there a loud hissing sound that could be heard fairly easily with hood open or closed? I have isolated that sound to the area of the CCVV but am not sure where it is exactly. Does this in any way sound similar to the CCVV you replaced anyone?

NeoP
12-18-2007, 10:51 AM
well, the noise is coming from the rear area of the engine, i guess it is a pressure leak at the valve cover gasket. I guessed it would help to check whether it may be a stuck valve, so i replaced it. As it fixed the noise to a 80-90%, i am content so far. It is not so loud anymore, so that you can hear it still when the radio is turned on and i am waiting for the traffic lights to become green. But, as it is stil noticable (maybe just because i know it so well now...) and i have a little oil film at the downfacing side of the valve cover gasket on the left, i ordered a new gasket at my local dealership.
Will replace it in a few thousand kilometers (maybe early spring) as i want to have my oil changed a little later.
Hope i gave you some significiant info...
I guess it is all about pressure/air that is coming out somewhere. To be sure it ain't any pully at the engines belt train in the front, i soaked the whole pully collection with my WD40 spraycan. Helped some similar noises, too!
So check further and further, replace all that little stuff like gaskets and valves and you will get your desired result.
Do you have a leaking Valve Cover Gasket?

Kaliimc
12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
^^^

Thanks for the input. I think that this sound would not be a valve cover gasket problem based on the direction of the sound when I move around the car with my ear inches above the engine/intake areas. The "hissing" sound is in/on/around the CCVV, whether it is a hose behind/underneath it, I cannot tell yet.

I'll probably end up replacing the CCVV soon as a troubleshooting step but need a better tool for it. The allen wrench just doesn't cut it, I spent about an hour last time trying to take the valve off and never could because the inside screw was really tough to move. To get better leverage, I had my foot up on top of the radiator/airbox area of the engine bay and probably had my tongue sticking out of my mouth once or twice. No wonder my neighbors were looking at me funny! :redface:

NeoP
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
well, a quarter inch wrench did it for me -. though i had to take my time on unscrewing without dropping stuff into the engine bay, too.
Are you sure it isn't a leak on the intake itself, maybe a cut in the rubber tubes?
Does your tounge-and-toeing mean, that you already replaced your CCVV?

jono
01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
you could try disconncting the alternator drive belt when the motor is hot and start the motor briefly and see if the noise is still present if it is then you will know that it isnt on of the auxillery units, if its still there check the two idler pullies on the tensioner setup i had a similar problem with my m42 did every thing,water pump ,tensionr the two pullies problem turned out to be the belt its self i had bought a bosch replacment from a non bmw dealer it fitted but made a noise for 4000km while i tryed every thing else to eliminate the noise

CG_ACE
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Dumb question? is the CCVV supposed to whistle or not?

Im getting the dreaded P1174 Code and someone suggested an air leak The CCVV is definitely making a WHISTLING sound. Hopefully this is all it is looks a little tight but I can replace this.
THANKS,
ACE

gldfshkpr
02-04-2008, 11:23 PM
dude dont do anything else just try this when the car is making the noise open the oil filler cap with the engine running and if the sound stop ur problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve, trust me i change everything, belts, alternator, water pump, all the tensioner and pulleys everything, and all the problem was that lil thing
Thanks Jean H.318TI, that solved my mystery. I'm running it with the hose capped for now. I'm picking up a new CCV tonight. What's the best tool to use?

thekid.
02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Okay not to steal the thread but, I have also been having
a problem with a whining noise comming from the pulley/ front region
of the engine. I sprayed WD-40 on all of the pulleys, started it up and still
had the same whining noise. I pulled the engine oil cap off and the car idled very rough so it is not the CCVV. Any other ideas? If it is a bad pulley, how do I figure out which one it is? How hard would it be to replace it? And, Is it going to do damage to the car if I continue to drive it? Thanks.

thekid.
02-17-2008, 12:25 AM
anyone?

Entropyman
06-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I have the same issue. I found that on mine the hissing noise is coming from a small opening on the top of the CCVV. I did the oil filler test and it confirmed the diagnosis. I also had the 1174 code. Still waiting for my CCVV to show up though. Thanks for the great information and the great forum.

8thcivic
10-29-2008, 08:14 AM
hi im pretty noob with bmws. my problem is this:

when i start and engine is cold no sound. but when it heats up theres goes the whining at idle. but only on idle. when the enging is rev up the noise goes away. when im driving and im on the accelerator theres no noise but when i let go of the gas regardles whats my speed the noise will come up. my mechs have checked power steering pump and ICV and it were not those two things. what are the other options. i was thinking idler pulley. but the sound is originating somewhere on the intake area and not on the pulley area.

Jean H.318TI
10-29-2008, 10:35 PM
dude dont do anything else just try this, when the car is making the noise open the oil filler cap with the engine running and if the sound stop ur problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve (cvv), trust me i change everything, belts, alternator, water pump, all the tensioner and pulleys everything, and all the problem was that lil thing

1996 328ti
10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
dude dont do anything else just try this, when the car is making the noise open the oil filler cap with the engine running and if the sound stop ur problem is the Crankcase Vent Valve (cvv), trust me i change everything, belts, alternator, water pump, all the tensioner and pulleys everything, and all the problem was that lil thingWon't that throw a CEL?

Jean H.318TI
10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
no

8thcivic
10-30-2008, 12:52 AM
where is the cvv located?

1996 328ti
10-30-2008, 02:03 AM
noI would have thought it would sense a vacuum leak.
The engine will idle pretty rough though.

Jean H.318TI
10-30-2008, 02:49 AM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1562&hg=11&fg=15

16 CRANK CASE VENT VALVE 1 11157501567 $52.17

8thcivic
10-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Jean H.318TI

problem solved!!! youre a god!!!

NeoP
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Sorry dudes, put in a new valve last year and didn't fix - so? :confused:
Well, don't hear it that often as its only in idle and the stereo is way louder :biggrin:

Jean H.318TI
10-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Jean H.318TI

problem solved!!! youre a god!!!

glad i can help other people :wink:

Jean H.318TI
10-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Sorry dudes, put in a new valve last year and didn't fix - so? :confused:
Well, don't hear it that often as its only in idle and the stereo is way louder :biggrin:

did u check the hose that goes into the valve?

8thcivic
11-01-2008, 06:06 AM
yeah. its got to be the hose. dude you SAVED me hundreds lol. they already charged me 247 for a power steering overhaul which they said was actually needed but i doubted it. well atleast i got a life time on my pump now.

also try to check the waterpump if it aint the hose.