PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket checks.

kensinva
08-25-2007, 01:15 AM
What things can you check to see if your head gasket is blown?

#compression check, which may not show bad.
#oil in h20.
#h2o in oil.
#compression into cooling jacket (pressure check of cooling system should see this, plus compression check).

My car runs fine, but I am still waiting on parts from BMW (elbow on back of head is leaking, plus Im doing a tune up). PO did overheat car, but do not know to what extent. Just curious if anyone else knows of anything else I should check.

Thanks,
Ken

cooljess76
08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Don't drive the car until you get that elbow replaced, while you're at it you may want to replace the other plastic coolant line underneath the intake manifold that runs parralel to the valve cover as it's known to break also. As for BHG checks, a leak down check is probably one of the better ways to determine if in fact you have a BHG. The kit costs about 30-40 bucks at autozone, and it doesn't take very long. After replacing the coolant lines, be sure to THOUROUGHLY bleed and refill the cooling system. Best of luck to ya.

kensinva
08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Yes, I have ordered both plastic elbows. Also most of the coolant lines, especailly the ones going to the rear of the head, so I only have to deal with that once! I dont have any oil or water mixing, so leak down check and coolant pressure check should be it right?

cooljess76
08-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I'd say if those check out good, you're in the clear. No smoke, rusty dipstick? People told me I had a BHG because my car was consuming coolant. That was 10,000 miles ago! I found out that I just had a cracked radiator. Still do, I just add coolant/water and bleed it every week. New radiator is on the way.