PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLZ>>

Vazquezp
09-09-2007, 03:24 AM
:confused: I recently did some front suspension work .... my steering wheel shaked alot around the 60MPH range.. installed new Bilstien struts change brake rotors and brake pads... also replaced front bushings....
the steering wheel stopped shaking as much for like 3 months ... now the steering wheel shakes while i drive! at low speeds! HELP PLZ! what can this be?

Vazquezp
09-09-2007, 03:30 AM
sorry not front bushings... ball joints...

cooljess76
09-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Make sure that the anti-rattle retaining clips are properly installed on the calipers. Or better yet, reach in there and see if you could wiggle the calipers by hand. Check the rears too while you're at it.

Vazquezp
09-09-2007, 04:41 AM
would that make the steering wheel shake like that... i cked them they seem to be good.

cooljess76
09-09-2007, 05:05 AM
would that make the steering wheel shake like that... i cked them they seem to be good.Yeah you're right probably not them. How about those bushings, did they look worn? I'm not really an expert, I just kinda figure things out as I go if and when I have money:tongue: I usually fix what I could afford first and then take care of the rest later, so unlike many other members I sympathize your situation of recently having your front end apart and not looking forward to taking it apart again. I'd start by lifting the front of your car up and giving everything under there a good jerk. See if anything feels loose. It could be something very simple like your tires needing balanced, not likely since it went away for a while, or maybe one of the wheels are loose. Those are pretty obvious symptoms and probably aren't the culprits, but dang it would be nice if it was something simple:biggrin: Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will chime in. For starters, I'd start shaking the hell out of all the linkage and see if you could find the source. Start with the easy stuff first, perhaps the strut mounts and work your way underneath. Just make sure that the front end is suspended and stable. I wish you the best of luck, let us know if you find anything.

bullmand
09-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Did you replace the control arms? The joint that's in the middle of the control arm (where it attaches to the front subframe) is not replaceable separately and they do wear out. It's entirely possible that you have isolated the problem more with all the new, less compliant parts. You might also check the control arm bushings(at the rear).