PDA

View Full Version : Whats this bit??

oakley
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Is this my icv? If not what is it?! Thanks 4354 Its the plug on the rights of the pic im talking about Ta:frown:

oakley
09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
bump!! help :)

losichu
09-12-2007, 12:13 AM
yes, its your idle control, not much of a valve though more like sensor

DocDuvi
09-12-2007, 01:01 AM
yep mine gives me trouble to all the time!!

cleaning it helps! with carb cleaner

oakley
09-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Cool cheers chaps...howdo i go about cleaning it? Is there a DIY o here about it? When i turm the key to position2 it buzzes from the engine bay and i think iv tracked it down to here..Does everyone elses?

elfhearse
10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I got a Check Engine Light yesterday and the Peake Code reader indicated "idle control valve mechanically stuck". I pulled the ICV, sprayed it with Throttle Body/Carb Cleaner and reset the CE light. It was fine for a few hours driving but the CEL was back on today. (same fault code)

I've cleaned it a few times but guess the ICV is bad. I get a minor surging during idle between 600-900RPM, but not real annoying.

Ordered a new ICV for $135 + shipping from Tischer BMW (best deal I could find)

oakley
10-10-2007, 08:46 PM
$135 wow...Think if mines gone i'll shop around abit!! How easy is it to take out and clean? Does it just unplug/ unscrew and bingo!!!??

elfhearse
10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
You need a #30 Torx drive ("Male" socket) to unscrew the two bolts, unplug the harness and remove. There is a small paper gasket between the valve & manifold, so be gentle with it.

I did shop around and $135 was the best price I could find online...highest was $165. Also noted that the BOSCH ICV valve is now mfd. in China... go figure...:wink:

oakley
10-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I checked out alot of diys on the internet last night and they all say the icv is under the manifold.. look at this link is this the same bit as in my pic just in a different place or do we still have this icv as well as the sensor in my pic...(make sense???!!)http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/06/23/cleaning-e36-icv-idle-control-valve-diy

elfhearse
10-14-2007, 12:51 AM
The M44 engine has the ICV located as in your first picture. I ordered a new ICV for my M44 and that's what I received.

The DIY link is for M42 also other 6 cylinder E36's use that canister type ICV...not the M44.

FWIW....buy a new Bosch Chinese made ICV, install, drive for about 3 hours, Check Engine light comes on again....ICV mechanically stuck per Peake R5 :mad: I reset it, started car and listened to the ICV buzz away until I hit it a few times..... oh well.....

UPDATE: I was surfing my ETK and found a Tech Bulletin regarding no start / whistling issues with ICV's up to 1998.
A replacement ICV was supplied # 13411435846 (which is what I recieved)
Tech. Note: DO NOT OVERTORQUE BOLTS AS IT MAY DAMAGE ICV. MAXIMUM TORQUE IS 5 FT/LBS.
I most likely overtorqued my new ICV and it is binding. Going out tomorrow AM and remove/re-install bolts to a feather lite 5 ft/lbs...stay tuned folks.

oakley
10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Awesome really appreciate ur reply on that...I just notice the bolts on mine have a black line on them which coincides with a black line on the icv so u know when they are at the right torque...Bleeding good idea!! Hopefully then if i replaceor clean my icv it might clear up my occasional no start issue...and the noise i have at speed..(although mines a yr2000 at u said up to 1998 so i hope it'll still work) Fingers crossed!! Thanks again