PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise while cornering from rear

jonotronic
10-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello there
Have recently noticed a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car while cornering fast - it doesn't happen at sensible speeds. At first I thought there was something bouncing about in the boot, but I don't think that's the case now! Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences

96cali
10-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Could well be rear shock mount beginning to fail or a failed shock. The e46 M3 RSM is the best solution and it's a fairly easy repair unless your shock towers have given way (not very common).

jonotronic
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Cheers for the suggestions.

I had the shock mounts replaced quite recently, although the garage that I used didn't replace the shocks or recommend that I did?? I suspect that the rear shocks have never been replaced in 110,000 miles now so a shock failing would seem fairly logical. The rear springs were both broken when I last had the car MOT'd (safety check), although the car was inspected about a month before to sort out any potential problems. In addition, the car was short of about a litre of oil after an oil change. Needless to say I don't use them anymore! There seems to be a lot of excessive movement from the rear of the car so that would figure.:cool:

cossieturbo
10-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Knock noise at the rear of a Ti during hard cornering is usually one of 2 things. The shock mounts or the Subframe bushings (Plus Diff mount bushing is weak). Subframe mounts can be a pain in the arse, but with the right "Expensive" tool it's not so bad. If your rear shocks really have that kind of mileage... replace them!!!

cossieturbo

jonotronic
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the help. The chap down at Weaver BMW in Glasgow took it for a spin and nearly S**t himself, the knocking was that evil! Upon inspection, he found the entire suspension system to be fine front to back. Even the factory shocks still work ok-ish after 110,000 miles. Turns out the recently fitted exhaust is banging off the axle and front heatshield, as there is virtually no clearance from what looks like a botched installation job. Any Scottish readers note well - avoid Budget cambuslang like the plague for exhausts as they have caused me nothing but hassle!