PDA

View Full Version : Engine Won't Start

cslayman
10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi,

My '95 won't start (M42, DME 1.7). I got what I believe to be a bogus fault code (1226) - Knock Sensor #2. I cleared the code by removing the battery connection and now get the proper 1444 (no more faults). But the engine still won't start.

Battery is fully charged and cranking the engine fine. The plugs are getting spark. The fuel pump is working - disconnected hose between filter and engine and got plenty of gas while cranking the engine.

So now I'm down to signals to the injectors. But it's a bear getting at any of the terminals. Is there an easy way to get at the injector harness and test it? Is there a url for the details of this test.

Also, what could fail that would allow me to still get spark and fuel pump operation but not injectors?

Thanks,
Charlie

cslayman
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Looking for DME 1.7 ECU. I've determined from Bentleys Manual (p130-7) that the ECU is bad on my '95 ti. So I'm looking for a replacement. Is there anyone in the SF Bay Area who has a used one they would like to sell?

cslayman
10-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Hello,
I haven't seen any respone to my queries. Am I using the Forum correctly?

BMW_318TI
10-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Have you checked the starter and EWS (if you have one).

cslayman
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Engine is cranking fine and I'm getting spark. So it is not the battery or starter or ignition. I am not familiar with the Electronic Watchdog System. My key is accepted by ignition switch and allows engine to crank. Does that mean the EWS is OK? Or does the EWS disable fuel injection only? If yes, and it allows engine to crank and spark plugs to fire, that would explain my problem. But if EWS disables everything, then that is not my problem.

BMW_318TI
10-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Testing EWS:
(A nice tip from a forum member).

Take a test lamp and clip it to the green wire far left and see if it lights when u turn the key to start. If it lights then u have power going to your ews and your ignition is all right. If the lamp lights then its the starter....replace starter