PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X Set-Ups ?

2cam16
10-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi all,
Newbie here just lurking. I'm looking into buying a '97 and want to know what are the potentials of this car at autocross ?
I'm coming from autocrossing a WRX and want to know if it's worth it with the Ti. I'm not looking in placing, just having fun like I always do.
Is setting up the car expensive ? If I just do the basic springs/shocks/swaybar, will it be good enough and what class does theccar fall into ?
Thanks for anyone's help! :)

GroggyinMO
10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Generally runs G Stock
Of course that depends what you do with it. Anything more than struts (no springs) and tires will put you in a racing class with lots of people with BIG BUCKS and BIG Engines

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago so I can't say personally but I have seen a few give the competetion a run for their money. Keep in mind this is a VERY competetive class and you will be running with a lot of other nice cars.

mohaughn
10-19-2007, 08:17 PM
In SCCA classes you will be hard pressed to make the Ti competitive. According to the 2007 rule book the Ti is in G-stock, not H.

If you are just looking to go out and have fun it is a great car for that. But the crazy SCCA rules and somewhat whacky classing of more powerful cars in the same groups that the Ti competes in makes it not that competitive. Smaller more technical courses will be to your advantage. But I don't see how you can beat an equally skilled driver who is in something like an RSX type S, Focus SVT, Cooper S, eclipse turbo, or impreza 2.5. The other cars competing in G-stock.

Either stay in a stock or a street touring class to keep your costs down.

BMWCCA autocross uses the point system to classify cars, and locally to me there are a two different Ti's that have good drivers and are competitive in the "A" group. I think they are usually 1 & 2 at the end of the year.

PeteN95
10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
You could also run in STS, which allows springs, bars, and some engine mods, but not full race tires, which is actually cheaper than running stock maybe? To run STS you are limited to 7.5" rim with 225 wide tires with no less than a 140 tread wear rating. FYI I Auto-X mine, but it is mostly stock, lots of fun, though.

larryn
10-19-2007, 10:01 PM
As mohaughn said, the BMW CAA autocross series might be your best bet. I chair the Boston Chapter series, and it's pretty darned fare for all participants.

The Gold Gate Chapter has a great autocross series that they run at the Marina Municipal Airport, out in Marina.

2cam16
10-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies,all.
I'll probably stick to STS, even though it's ruled by Civic Nation over here !! I'm happy with my trophy a few seasons ago. I'm here now just for the fun of it and keeping my skills up to date.
Yeah, Marina is an awesome tarmac. We hold SCCA races there a few times/year but it became a hassle for me in terms of gas (WRX takes premium) and the 2 hour drive one way. BMWCCA is pretty big over here in the Bay.
Anyone know of good online vendors for springs/shocks/ and sways ? I'm trying to keep costs down.
thanks

mohaughn
10-20-2007, 03:31 AM
http://www.vorshlag.com/ has great products, are usually really helpful, and are all autocrossers. They seem to give pretty good support as well. I'm also partial to tcklineracing.com and bimmerworld.com. TcKline also has a lot of autocross experience and they are experts on the z3/ti suspension. For cheap bushings and things like that I have also used Ireland Engineering, their website is www.bmw2002.com. They know the E30 really well and our suspension is very similiar. All of those guys should know the basics to the different SCCA classes and can help make sure you stay legal.

I'm sure if you want lowest price you can find good deals on ebay, or check out the group buy forum at bimmerforums.com.

2cam16
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
^^^
Cool. Thanks for the info.

gimp
10-23-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm working on running mine in STS, but is no where near prepared to the correct level.

I have H&R Sport springs, Koni Yellows, Bimmerworld camber shims, Eibach front sway, and Sparco front stress bar. Add to that a home-made short ram intake and a catback and you pretty much have the extent of my mods. Next season I'll be running on Z3 "Z-Start" wheels (16lbs) and 225/50r16 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's.

Last weekend, on my all seasons, driving like ****, I managed a 2nd place finish in STS. Honestly, I should have won, but I just couldn't put it together in time.

If I were to do it right (I'm not because I have a dedicated CP car to finish), I would:

Go with the Ground Control setup. 500lb front springs, 550 rear.
Ground Control front sway bar (and no rear bar at all).
Koni Yellows.
Vorshlag camber plates.
16x7.5" rims with the RE-01R's
Misc exhaust and intake to lose weight.

The car is a ton of fun to auto-x and could be a really, really strong local car.

2cam16
10-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks,Gimp.
Quick question: I'm planning on using my autocross tires from the WRX, 225/50-16 and will be getting 16 inch wheels. Will I have any fender clearance problems ?

gimp
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
You shouldn't have an issue. You may have to roll the lip, but I've been just fine so far with 225's. It's probably our only real advantage over the Civics.

S10mafia50
10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
As mohaughn said, the BMW CAA autocross series might be your best bet. I chair the Boston Chapter series, and it's pretty darned fare for all participants.

The Gold Gate Chapter has a great autocross series that they run at the Marina Municipal Airport, out in Marina.

they aren't very fair either....there's a m42ti on here that maxxed out thier point scale....lol

also, the issue with scca is that there have been newer cars that surpassed the ti....mainly the power problem is the issue.

the cooper S and mazda 3 currently have a deathgrip on G-stock.....also, the new civic Si and gti are in there as well....

Andrew

mohaughn
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Even then I think there is some leadway in the BMW classifications. I think based on the local point system, which does not follow the national system exactly, my car is either AA, or pro-class... But since I don't run r-comps and I still have a 4 cylinder they put me in the A group the last time I went to an event.

There was another Ti that had exhaust, cams, dinan intake and r-comps, along with all the suspension goodies and he was still classed as A.

It worked out such that A group was more about suspension setup and driving, not horsepower. The higher groups had FI cars and M's.

For SCCA I just think we would be better classed with the rest of the BMW 4 cylinders. The car is not that much lighter with a full interior.

S10mafia50
10-24-2007, 03:35 AM
For SCCA I just think we would be better classed with the rest of the BMW 4 cylinders. The car is not that much lighter with a full interior.

Quoted for truth.......I agree....altho the atx focus wouldn't be able to win anymore in HS

Andrew

2cam16
10-24-2007, 06:41 AM
How heavy is our car anyway ? Around 3k ?

gimp
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I'd think you could get down to a race weight of 2800.

mohaughn
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
BMW CR lists the factory weight of a 95 Ti as 2745, same for the 96+...

E36 318is and S is listed as 2867. Horsepower to weight ratio is listed as 19.89 for a Ti to 20.78 for a 318i/is.

Maybe they do the split right at a hp/weight ratio of 20:1.

2cam16
10-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Cool. Thanks.
Another thing. So I'm used to just using a racing harness with easy bolt on to my cars. So now I see this Bimmer is completely different. Looks like I can't just bolt on my 3-point ? What are everyone's harness set-ups ?

gimp
10-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm using a Schroth Quick Fit

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth/street-legal/quickfit

S10mafia50
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
an interior gutted 95 can weigh under 2300 easily too....haha, definately livens up the m42....hahaha

and mohaughn, that does make perfect sense.....my taurus is rated into G-stock as it weighs 3300lbs and has 220hp

Andrew

2cam16
10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm using a Schroth Quick Fit

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth/street-legal/quickfit
Nice.
I have a Corbeau but I'll try and figure something out to fit it in there without having to buy a new one.

larryn
10-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I have the Shroth Ralley 4 setup, which is a both on. Bolt-ons are definitely not as quick ti fint in your car, but I can swap them between my e90 an the 'ti in less than 45 minutes. Basically, I have a universal fit kit with bolt ons.

I also got them from HMS. I know the guys there, and Joe Marko pretty well.

2cam16
10-25-2007, 02:46 AM
I have the Shroth Ralley 4 setup, which is a both on. Bolt-ons are definitely not as quick ti fint in your car, but I can swap them between my e90 an the 'ti in less than 45 minutes. Basically, I have a universal fit kit with bolt ons.

I also got them from HMS. I know the guys there, and Joe Marko pretty well.
How did you bolt them on to the anchors for the lap ? I can see doing the left side easy since the "bar" the oem seatbelt is easily accessible. But looking at the right lap, it looks like I'd have to remove the seat ? All my other cars I've never removed the seat.
thanks

larryn
10-25-2007, 02:54 AM
How did you bolt them on to the anchors for the lap ? I can see doing the left side easy since the "bar" the oem seatbelt is easily accessible. But looking at the right lap, it looks like I'd have to remove the seat ? All my other cars I've never removed the seat.
thanks

You remove the seats. It's very easy to do though. I have leather Vaders, which are a bit heavier and wider than regular 'ti seats. you just unbolt the 2 frt and 2 rear mounting bolts, and tilt the seat out the door a bit, sit in the passenger seat, and bolt it in. By doing it that way, you don't even have to unplug the seats.

It literally takes 5 minutes a seat. I leave the rear anchor points bolted in, under the back seat cushion. The Ralley 4 disconnects the front 2 belts from the rear 2 mounts with a connector.

2cam16
10-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Awesome. Thanks,Larryn. I'll probably work on it tomorrow.

2cam16
10-27-2007, 07:32 AM
So I hit a snag. I didn't notice the Torx bolt on the left side lap belt. Never had a Torx on my Japanese cars.
I got the right side lap and the rear belt mounted.
Gotta get some Torx bits !

larryn
10-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Cool. I figured you already had the correct torx socket, since the outboard front mounting point (the bar one) uses the same sized torx socket.