PDA

View Full Version : CUSTOM CAI(i know there are 1000 threads about this:)

Bobbak
10-28-2007, 05:28 AM
i made this with 3" pvp plumbing pipe and elbow and a straight tube, bondo, epoxy it sticks out on top of where the wheel well goes and the top of the tire

Kaliimc
10-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Post your thoughts on any performance and sound gains please, I'm interested, even though I've read all 1001 posts about CAI's too!:biggrin:

M3_KILL3R
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
i still think my ghetto short ram with my heat shield works wonders :biggrin: nice set up tho bobbak...

Bobbak
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
ill post some youtube links soon

ChItalian1027
11-01-2007, 05:25 AM
cool setup man!!

roadrash
11-01-2007, 06:37 AM
it sticks out on top of where the wheel well goes and the top of the tire
If I'm visualizing this correctly, wouldn't that allow water to be flung off of the tire and into the intake opening when driving in the rain? Maybe a photo of it installed would help. :-)

M3_KILL3R
11-01-2007, 06:51 AM
If I'm visualizing this correctly, wouldn't that allow water to be flung off of the tire and into the intake opening when driving in the rain? Maybe a photo of it installed would help. :-)

hmmm hes right. but i think the filter will catch the water

chuckrussell
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM

A filter would only catch so much. CAI is not a bad idea or concept but to put it in the wheel well is a dangerous thing that i think should be left to strip racers (where they know rain wouldn't be a problem)

Another option would be to route it straight down to the front of the bumper.

Chuck

M3_KILL3R
11-01-2007, 10:16 PM
A filter would only catch so much. CAI is not a bad idea or concept but to put it in the wheel well is a dangerous thing that i think should be left to strip racers (where they know rain wouldn't be a problem)

Another option would be to route it straight down to the front of the bumper.

Chuck

i think if you turn it away from the tire just enough so its facing the ground more so you wont have the tire "whip" rain into it. but then again here in SoCal rain isnt a huge issue...fire is :tongue:

roadrash
11-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Maybe. :smile: However...

1) What material are most filters made from?
2) What typically happens to that material when it gets moist/wet?
3) Do you see where I'm going here? :biggrin:

M3_KILL3R
11-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Maybe. :smile: However...

1) What material are most filters made from?
2) What typically happens to that material when it gets moist/wet?
3) Do you see where I'm going here? :biggrin:

ya i getcha i agree. i mean i had a fog airbox for a while and the tube was right next to my fog and i drove in the rain. never had trouble with water damage or hydro locking. i think the only time there a huge chance of hydro locking is when you have a CAI dropped to the ground.

chuckrussell
11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
i think if you turn it away from the tire just enough so its facing the ground more so you wont have the tire "whip" rain into it. but then again here in SoCal rain isnt a huge issue...fire is :tongue:

Ha yeah here in good ol North Carolina rain is pretty intense (although not this year

Still would not risk trashing my engine but at that token there is a risk with anything.

If it works go for it. Just know if there are torrential downpours drop that stox box back on. The hp gains are nil in the rain

Chuck