PDA

View Full Version : i searched but couldnt find it. LSD

thesk8nmidget
11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
i know its best to get a lsd out of a e30 but my question is do any bolt right up and do any of them use your stock shafts?

i read that you have to get different outer shafts. do you need a longer driveline too?

also what is the gear ratio in a ti because i would like to keep it close to the same

cali-ti
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
do you have a manual trans? if so, stock diff ratio is 3.45. if that's the case, this is what you'd want: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19072

thesk8nmidget
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
thanks and ya i have a manual.

that one bolts right up with no other modifications?

cali-ti
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
big debate on that :) it'll bolt onto the rear subframe (no mods to driveshaft needed), but from the looks of that diff cover, you'd need to get a different one (e30 or mz3 finned diff cover). big debate is on whether you can/should use ti halfshafts or not. i personally would swap the halfshafts. i used e30 halfshafts when i swapped. the problem is these are even older than the ti ones which means you could run into issues (like i did) when swapping in used ones (worn cv joint on one). rebuilt ones are a good option but aren't nearly as cheap.

thesk8nmidget
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
ok i thought that was what everyone was saying, but wasnt sure if any certain one was a perfect fit.

thanks for the help.

now i just need to find a old lsd diff and half shafts and a dff cover

zboot
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Also, you need to read this: http://www.318ti.org/notebook/diff_conversion/index.html

I doubt you're buying that particular LSD. Likely the one you find will bolt right up without you needing to get a new or different diff cover. I did a swap a couple months ago. Bought a MT 89 325is and swapped its 3.70 lsd into my ti.

The biggest issue was positioning the LSD in place so I could start threading the bolts back in. The open diff is much lighter than the LSD so it was easy to manipulate by myself (I barely needed a jack to get it in/out). However, the LSD was a biiiach to position due to its weight and me being on my back under the car. In fact, I ended up (after a frustratingly fruitless 3-4 hours) going to get a friend of mine to help push/pull it in place while I got the bolts in.

The 318ti half shafts will work (if that's all you've got). However, the e30 one's are beefier and would likely stand up to more abuse (especially if you're going further than just swapping the diff). However, they can be a little more involved.

thesk8nmidget
11-08-2007, 09:26 PM
thanks for all the help!! and that link is very helpful!