PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air Pump

nyle
11-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Ok. So of course I have a CEL. It is for the Secondary Air Control. Upon inspection of said device, it doesn't look to be damaged or particularly worn. When looking at the Secondary Air Pump itself, same deal. Except, the pump feels like it's a little loose. When the engine is on I can hear a fairly loud leak and if I push directly down on the pump it goes away. Now, is this calling for replacing the pump? Its mounts? or am I looking entirely in the wrong place.

Also, I have heard a little bit about entirely taking the pump out. Does anyone know anything about this?

campaiar
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
If its not there, you'll always have a CEL.

Not sure what else would cause a Secondary Air fault besides the pump. Anyone have a clue what else could throw the code?

marko
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
its the pump! I had the same issue last year...
my CEL was on intermitenly (on for a week - then off for like two or three) & the SAP was making too much noise while running... If I'd clamp it tight with my hands it would get quiter, but as soon as I'd let go of it, it would get loud again.
I replaced mine (F-ING EXPENSIVE - $360), the CEL went away and never came back...

you could try & drill out the pins holding it together & have the 2 halfs screwed back togother tight with actual nuts & bolts & see if that helps (since it seems you have to change the pump anyway) - may be worth a shot.

gl

Ok. So of course I have a CEL. It is for the Secondary Air Control. Upon inspection of said device, it doesn't look to be damaged or particularly worn. When looking at the Secondary Air Pump itself, same deal. Except, the pump feels like it's a little loose. When the engine is on I can hear a fairly loud leak and if I push directly down on the pump it goes away. Now, is this calling for replacing the pump? Its mounts? or am I looking entirely in the wrong place.

Also, I have heard a little bit about entirely taking the pump out. Does anyone know anything about this?

marko
11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
also check the plastis POS pipe that connects to the SAP - those break very easily... yours could be cracked or unsecured properly causing a leak.

cali-ti
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
i seem to remember adding some notes from the yahoo mailing list on the subject in a knowledgebase article so check there as well. you may be able to fix it.

nyle
11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
also check the plastis POS pipe that connects to the SAP - those break very easily... yours could be cracked or unsecured properly causing a leak.

I replaced that a couple months ago because it was basically demolished.

I guess I'll be trying to bolt the top to the bottom. I had seen that someone had done that on another forum.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I make out :smile:

nyle
11-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Okay. So today I put new bolts on the secondary air pump. My buddy and I had popped the hood, taken off the MAF and inspected the rivets: turns out they had all broken. we used 8x32 1-3/4" bolts. After we finished and turned on the car it all sounds great. I'm just waiting a couple days for the CEL.

thanks again everyone. :)

marko
11-20-2007, 05:55 PM
if the pump has not suffered any internal damage in the meantime, the light should just go off... you can also disconect the battery over night, & your light should remain off in the morning (if the pump is not toast by now).

Okay. So today I put new bolts on the secondary air pump. My buddy and I had popped the hood, taken off the MAF and inspected the rivets: turns out they had all broken. we used 8x32 1-3/4" bolts. After we finished and turned on the car it all sounds great. I'm just waiting a couple days for the CEL.

thanks again everyone. :)

StealthBimmer
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Go to Autozone or Advanced Auto and have them turn off the CEL for you. It's free and they can read other codes if you have any. If it's the SAP then maybe a trip to the local salvage yard, ebay or for sale section might help you buy an used one.

Let us know if you fixed the problem. Good luck

nyle
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a code reset tool.

The light hasn't come back since I've repaired the pump. I had read around about people replacing the rivets with bolts. That seems to have worked for me. Because the rivets had all broken, the only thing holding the cap on the pump was the three clips so air was escaping. All better for now, but we'll give it another couple of days :)

nyle
11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Of course, now that I said that.. It came back while I was driving back from work today haha. Okay so. The code is for the secondary air control. I guess i'll be looking into replacing that?

nyle
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Okay. I replaced the valve today. I hope that fixes things up.

But on a side note:

I've noticed what sounds like an air leak, and my exhaust sounds like its been running rougher. This is happening all the time. The noise is most noticeable around the 2500RPM range. Could this be a crack in my exhaust manifold or something? I hope its just a broken hose. ...