PDA

View Full Version : Run without rocker cover....or not?

Mike-evans1
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Guys, Can I remove my rocker cover on my 95 318ti and run it for a few minutes without the cover on?
I want to do this to try and have a look what is going on in there and see if I can pick up what is casing my loud tapping....lifters or chain or something.......

L84THSKY
12-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Take off the cover, and just rotate the engine manually. Look for worn rockers or lobes on the cam. I strongly believe this is your problem.

Guys, Can I remove my rocker cover on my 95 318ti and run it for a few minutes without the cover on?
I want to do this to try and have a look what is going on in there and see if I can pick up what is casing my loud tapping....lifters or chain or something.......

aceyx
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, if you want hot oil sprayed in your face and all over your engine bay.

In short, NO.

Follow L8's instructions.

cooljess76
12-06-2007, 02:42 AM
It won't even run. No compression. +1 on what L8 said.

Mike-evans1
12-06-2007, 04:36 PM
How do I rotate the engine manually?

Is it a case of removing all spark plugs and rotating on the crank nut with a socket and bar???

Would my blown manifold gasket create this noise?

aceyx
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Have you tried a mechanic's stethoscope to find the source of the noise? Might be a good way to start before removing stuff.

Mike-evans1
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I havn't tried it with a stethoscope, but I have tried the old fashion way :biggrin:,with my ear against a screw driver and it seems pretty hard to determine where it is with all the other noises coming from there with the engine running......

I have had the bonnet up and my head in there and when I rev the engine I can hear the tapping coming from the back end of the engine,by the exhaust manifold area, I am doing the manifold repair tomorrow and hopefully it is that, that is making the noise???

I found a write up on the net earlier and it said that a blown manifold gasket/crack will give out a tapping noise which can be mistaken for a lifter.......so fingures crossed:smile:

cosmos schwarz
12-06-2007, 11:59 PM
have you the right oil grade/quantity of oil in there? sounds dumb, no offence intended. other thing, replace the oil filled chain tensioner on the o/s of the engine. above the exh fannymould, its about 30 quid and you get instructions, its a modified part and rid my ticking noise all together. its held in by a sump plug and takes about 5mins to do. i have also replaced the exh manifold gasket, you will notice the engine does run quieter and smoother, it also regained some torque.

Mike-evans1
12-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Defenately got right amount of oil in there and right grade....I done an engine flush and oil and filter change about 2 months ago....

I changed my tensioner 2 days ago and still the same...I am doing a manifold gasket replacecment today now and fingures crossed it will stop the noise....:smile:

Let you know the results..

Mallard
12-07-2007, 04:53 PM
mabey a limp lifter?

bmw318is1994
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
try a piece of a garden hose if you have one that is effed up somewhere lol that's what i did on my old 64' impala and found it right away. I think that works a little better than a screw driver!