PDA

View Full Version : HELP oil leak

tol4o
12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I got a major oil leak expecially when the engine is cold. I can see the oil dripping below the engine about one drop per second which is too bad. I tought it's the front shaft seal but when I looked more closely it looks like the oil is flowing and comming from somewhere around the base of the oil filter can.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1568&hg=11&fg=30

I suspect the o-ring 5 or the gasket 6. Does anyone have idea what is 4 called bush for? I hope you can help me with your opinion or if anyone experienced this before. Is there any way to find where exaclty he oil is coming from? Thank you

Bluebimma
12-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Im not sure what the acutal name is for #4, but its a bushing. Id suspect that #6 is the culprit before #5 but since theyre so cheap, id replace both while in there. Have you done an oil change lately? If so, have you made sure to tighten the oil filter cap securely and its on straight? How about the oil filter cap o-ring, is it sitting straight for a complete seal?

CirrusSR22
12-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I've replace #4, #5, and #6 before. From my inspection the gasket was the cause of my oil leak. It stopped after I replaced it.

Here's a pic of that "bush" (#4). It actually came with the two O-rings (#5). I ordered the o-rings seperately, and now have two new ones sitting around. Anyone want them?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/vasa58/bush.jpg

Here's the gasket

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/vasa58/gasket.jpg

If you do this project, I'd recommend hosing down the area with brake cleaner and scrubbing it clean with a toothbrush before you take the filter housing off. It's so dirty around there, it's easy to get crap into your oil system.

tol4o
12-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the information, I guess the problem is the gasket. CirrusSR22, how does your oil leak looked like? I just want to compare with mine.
My look like this:
there is a little oil "pool" on the engine block right behind (next) to the base of the oil filter can. From there, the oil is going to front cover and using one furrow, flowes down to the bottom of the engine where is all messed up. The drops fall to the ground from the power steering . The leak is bad when the engine is cool and almost gone when it's warm.

CirrusSR22
12-25-2007, 06:20 AM
I did notice oil in the spot you mentioned; I know exactly where you are describing. I originally thought my oil pan gasket was leaking (the whole perimeter was showing oil), but after more investigation the leak was from higher up. This was the most logical spot. My power steering rack area was pretty bad. Oil mixed with dirt, but it wasn't wet with oil. I kind of forget where the drips were from as it was a few years ago. This leak also disappered in the summer, and reappered in the winter. I'd notice oil spots on the ground.

tol4o
12-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I did notice oil in the spot you mentioned; I know exactly where you are describing. I originally thought my oil pan gasket was leaking (the whole perimeter was showing oil), but after more investigation the leak was from higher up. This was the most logical spot. My power steering rack area was pretty bad. Oil mixed with dirt, but it wasn't wet with oil. I kind of forget where the drips were from as it was a few years ago. This leak also disappered in the summer, and reappered in the winter. I'd notice oil spots on the ground.

Sounds like exact the same problem, no leak during the summer, leak during the the winter when engine is cold.
I am going to order parts 4, 5, 6 today. How hard is this project? Do you remember how you did it? Thank you

CirrusSR22
12-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm running out the door now, but quickly.... It's not too hard. By memory, you have to remove the:

•Entire airbox/intake

•Alternator. There are two long bolts holding it onto it's mount. You need to lever the alternator out after the bolts are removed. It took more force than I expected. There are also a few electrical connections, but they are not too hard.

• I possibly removed the mount that the alternator is attached to.

• I think I also has to unbolt a pulley, or maybe loosen the power steering reservoir to access an alternator bolt. Something in there.

Oh, I also drained the oil from the engine first. Maybe not necessary, but I needed an oil change. Overall, it's not hard, but you do need to dig a little deep into the engine to get access.

tol4o
12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok, I opened the hood this morning (before to start the engine) and I looked around the top of the oil fiter can base and it was dirty but dry. I started the engine and looked again at the same spot and man I saw a fresh oil stream comming out of the top right of the filter can base. The oil leaked to the bottom of the engine and made about 2 inches wide spot on the ground. Two minutes later the leak was almost gone when the engine rised it's temperature. This is the proof that it's 100% the same problem. I am ordering the parts now. Thank you for your help CirrusSR22, I hope I'll have this fixed soon.
Additionaly I'll replace the valve cover gasket and the spark plugs hole gaskets using your nice DIY. The reason is the same like yours, there is some oil on the left side of the valve cover (sometimes an oil drop drips over the exaust and you can feel a "nice" burned oil smell) and oil in the second spark plug hole.

adamud
12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
I just replaced bush and the gasket on saturday (Dec 22). Cirrussr22 is right about what you need to remove: All airbox components, radiator fan, alternator, and just loosen the power steering pump. So far there hasn't been a leak and when I got down there, there was a considerable oil puddle on the engine. You don't need to order number 5 on the diagram, it comes on the bushing. While your at it, if you haven't already, go ahead and replace numbers 4, 9 and 13 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1567&hg=11&fg=35
and replace number 1 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=11_1558&hg=11&fg=10
you can easily get to that piece without having to remove the intake manifold (even though you can do it without removing it :) )

dave45056
12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I have the exact same problem, too, but the leak is not as severe. I just ordered the parts today, but without the o-rings. Cirrus, I'll take you up on your offer if mine comes without the o-rings from the dealer. Anyway, this seems like such a common problem, so I think I'll get out my digial camera and make a DIY while I'm at it.

dave45056
02-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey I created a DIY to fix this problem. Check it out.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20854

robcarync
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
nice job dave, i have that same oil leak i think....this helps a LOT!

the governor
04-22-2008, 03:43 AM
there is a little oil "pool" on the engine block right behind (next) to the base of the oil filter can. From there, the oil is going to front cover and using one furrow, flowes down to the bottom of the engine where is all messed up. The drops fall to the ground from the power steering . The leak is bad when the engine is cool and almost gone when it's warm.

I have an oil leak I'm not sure where its coming from but its dripping from the cross brace. I sounds like it could be the oil filter housing but wouldn’t that drip from the power steering rack not back by the cross brace?

Edit: it now looks like Niagara Falls under the car. :(